Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Re: Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

My opinion on the three Stooges would be very different if they'd helped me acquire generational wealth. Don't blame the guy.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

ToiletDuck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:42 am Gold always struck me as someone who had his heart in the right place , but couldn't put muscle DS when it came to decisions.
I like to think his comments about the seats being no more than 20 yards from the pitch was what he wanted but for other factors he couldn't deliver.

Out of the two DS & DG he appeared to me as the most genuine
Razzle dazzled.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

sicknote wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:57 pm How ****ing apt that a skip is being spoken about ,

When it was allegedly a skip company owner who put a stop on the first organised protest by our fans, and caused a lot of good friends to fall out

Sooner this thread title depicts the fate of all concerned the better in my book
maybe i'm just born too late to know the worst of it, but i can't think of a more shameful moment in WHU history.

an absolute betrayal of the support followed by a cover up built on instilling fear of legal and genuine physical harm. wonder if we'll ever get the full story.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 604 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:49 pm What I have never understood is, if he was such a massive West Ham fan, why didn't he stop Sullivan ripping the arse out of the his boyhood club. ? Alright, fair enough to sell Birmingham down the river, but not the club he claimed to love. Just don't get that and never have
That was their aim from Day One.They wanted the Olympic Stadium.They knew exactly what they were doing when purchasing West Ham.If there was no OS,then they wouldn't have brought us.FULL STOP.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Tezza65 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 pm That was their aim from Day One.They wanted the Olympic Stadium.They knew exactly what they were doing when purchasing West Ham.If there was no OS,then they wouldn't have brought us.FULL STOP.
Exactly and we fell for it, well most of us did. We are in a rented athletics stadium as a 'home' ground. What a mess and Gold deserves no respect from West Ham fans for playing a major role in that.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:52 am There is something quite sick & twisted about DG's coffin being carried around Green Street, the area he helped kill.

The family have no shame at all.
It's almost as if that area was extra special in some way..
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Samba wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 am It's almost as if that area was extra special in some way..
"was" is right.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Tezza65 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 pm That was their aim from Day One.They wanted the Olympic Stadium.They knew exactly what they were doing when purchasing West Ham.If there was no OS,then they wouldn't have brought us.FULL STOP.
That may well be true, and I suspect it is. They saw the opportunity to get their filthy little fingers on our club, sell it's soul and profit, hugely, from it. Whilst all the time getting their name out there as saviours of West Ham United FC and of the olympic stadium. Would anyone be surprised if they named somethng after him at the club ? My vote is for a shitter if thats the case.

Buying WHUFC raised their profile and raised their profits.

As for Noble, I imagine he would have been asked by the family to speak at Gold's funeral. He's hardly going to say No is he.

I'm sick of them, and the sooner the other two f*** off from my club the better. The whole charade of the funeral is sickening. The bloke was a seedy business man, making his ££ from grot. Fair play to him. That stigma will be attached to his memory along with what he did to us, the heartbeat of the club.

This "beloved chairman" stuff, pictures and videos of what should be a private event, using it as a publicity vehicle for clicks over social media, it's even on LinkedIn FFS :thumbdn:

Gold was a ****. He is now dead
Sullivan and Brady are both c****, they're still with us

SBOUT
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

I find it deeply insulting that claret and Hugh are running articles almost proclaiming Mr Gold as a saint. Any word of criticism they ruthlessly don’t allow . The gent who does hammerschat videos now writes for them he has taken a dive in my estimation of him. Not that he cares as he is no doubt making money on his videos
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1368 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

While very much against upsetting any family in a time of mourning listening to fans after Gold’s death at the Everton and Derby games suggests efforts to rewrite history and see the man as “ beloved” are doomed to failure. He may have seen himself as a West Ham fan desperate for success, but there are just too many examples of GSB profiteering from the club to make most believe that was his priority. Social media these days is a dangerous vehicle attracting all sorts of extremism, so it’s not surprising the club has blocked responses on this one, however the usual tacky razzle dazzle display the club has rolled out won’t change long held opinions and the harsh reality for GSB is their legacy already set.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I think I'd be ashamed to call myself a West Ham fan if I'd done the things that Gold and co have done to this club.

I think that says it all about the man, he was a 'fan' only when it suited him.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1203 likes

Post by Diogenes »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:55 am I think I'd be ashamed to call myself a West Ham fan if I'd done the things that Gold and co have done to this club.

I think that says it all about the man, he was a 'fan' only when it suited him.
I disagree SH, I think he was a lifelong fan. Just because some people do things that are disagreeable to others doesn't mean that they do not hold some values similar to your own. Its a complicated world. Its nice to think that the pantomime villian is pure evel as it often completes or supports a bias (even if it is a deeply held bias). Many other 'fans' are not critical of GSB or they even love the new stadium etc. etc. Their view/oponion will differ from many on here, but does it make them any less of a fan?
GPW
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by GPW »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:49 pm What I have never understood is, if he was such a massive West Ham fan, why didn't he stop Sullivan ripping the arse out of the his boyhood club. ? Alright, fair enough to sell Birmingham down the river, but not the club he claimed to love. Just don't get that and never have
:newthumb:

It has always seemed to me that they have used the "livelong fan" card as a front for a pure business venture. I don't really have an issue with any owner of any club viewing it as a business venture but it's this spin that irks me. G&S may have been fans (at least in their own minds) but at every junction where there was an opportunity to act like a fan or businessman they have chosen the £. That's my issue. I don't care for Brady but at least it's clear she is in it for the £ and media attention and has never claimed to be a fan (as far as I know).
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

he stood idle as Rome burned and the fact he claimed to be a lifelong fan makes it even worse

lets not forget he said that the seats would be as close at the OS as they were at the Boleyn - if theyre not we wont be moving there !!

he maybe gone but he will never be forgotten.......... nor forgiven
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 604 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

westhamlinnet wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:51 am I find it deeply insulting that claret and Hugh are running articles almost proclaiming Mr Gold as a saint. Any word of criticism they ruthlessly don’t allow . The gent who does hammerschat videos now writes for them he has taken a dive in my estimation of him. Not that he cares as he is no doubt making money on his videos
Whose that?

Gonzo and Geo are staunch anti-board.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I'm the last person to defend our "Owners" trust me...dislike one of them more than most..the other one is a Lucky Chancer,who
had things mapped out for them and a great deal of help,with no real talent,happens a lot in business...not what you know,it's
who you know syndrome...But
Mr Gold I can make some "Allowances" for...he is/was a fan...maybe not hardcore but a supporter nonetheless,started of market trading,
ends up a billionaire,always have to give kudos there,no matter what the Business is...you take what life throws at you and make the most..
he did..
I always felt he was more genuine,in the way he spoke about us..the move etc...I'll be honest here,I wanted the move,and no one loved
Upton more than me...saw the Stadium a few times during the Olympics and it blew me away thinking we could be playing here....
we just had to long "struggling"...honestly thought,we've done our time here maybe,New Start,Great for the Family and Kiddies,way better
than Upton for that..we've got young teens going now,didn't know Upton,it's their time,we had ours.
Personally, now I don't like playing there..and do regret it a little TBH...,but whats done is done,whats most important is making the most
of a situation if you can't change it,and tbh people are voting with their feet and turning up.

I've seen DG twice confront really angry fans,didn't back away/run off, once in his motor(Red Roller) outside the Boleyn (boozer)..got spotted,loads
of angry dudes waving/shouting...he made the guy stop the car ,wound window down and tried to talk,that took something...
I just don't dislike the guy as much as the other two..or most of our previous "Owners" come to that..we have History there.
in fact don't dislike him at all.
Pi**ed off maybe,disappointed more thought wasn't put into move, and more of their/his Business Wealth wasn't put into it...seating etc.
Help for local traders,they were let down...but we don't really know the full extent...the ins and outs,sometimes things move out
of your control...again not defending them/him....the other one is the Majority Shareholder he has the biggest Clout and say.
Lots of behind the scenes stuff going on, secret phones calls etc....Spuds never wanted stadium,just wanted us not to get the rights to
it on the cheap and buy it,purely business...Gold and Sulli never wanted to buy it,but rent it (IMO)...worked out for both... :wink:

The Beloved thing, he was by his family and friends no doubt...the Club and Captain (Mark) have every right to say that about him.
Mixed opinion among fan base maybe but plenty are/were Ok with him.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Tezza65 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:58 am Whose that?

Gonzo and Geo are staunch anti-board.
Hammerschat hate the board.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I never had a problem with gold. seemed the lesser of 2 evils. people say he was nasty but how many businessmen and women who are at the top arent? its the nature of the world.

as for noble. they took over the club in 2010 thats 12 years of his career they were there for. he was captain for 7 years of that. im sure he will have found memories of them both even if the fans cant stand them. dont blame him for giving a talk
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Someone called Gonzo has started doing articles for claret and Hugh I apologise if that is a different gent
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2896 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

‘Help for local traders,they were let down...but we don't really know the full extent...the ins and outs’

Someone from the club went round to all the traders around Upton Park during the last season and told them that none of them would be going to the new stadium, it was definite and when 2 traders found a bit of space to rent from one the independent food stalls, someone from the club was out within half an hour of them being there for the first Premier League game and told the food vendor that if the 2 guys weren’t gone in 15 minutes he wouldn’t be trading there again.
Not too much ‘in and out’ about that.