✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:02 pm I agree with others that have said he is starting to drop off. His ability to hold the ball up for us and bring others into play has diminished, of that there is no doubt. Most times he simply falls over with minimal pressure from the CB.

He's at the stage now where he needs to be resting more and coming off the bench as an impact sub, or else getting rotated and played less. He also seems to do better on the wing for me.
It's almost as if the player who was signed as a winger who played most of his career on the wing then shunted around our team had a purple patch up top and now that looks over .. almost looks like his best position is on the wing
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 pm I just don't see what forward joins us as 3rd choice happily on the off chance Scamacca is injured.

Bowen and Cornet can both play there, they're our back ups.
Unless Antonio gets a new lease of life they wouldn't be 3rd choice and if we get through the qualifying round we have a lot of games to play.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

smuts wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 pm Unless Antonio gets a new lease of life they wouldn't be 3rd choice and if we get through the qualifying round we have a lot of games to play.
I just don't think we can afford it. Broja on loan with an option to buy would be perfect for the job.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:35 pm It looked to me as though he wanted to come off but Moyes told him to carry on

It was weird seeing him limp around for the last 15 minutes of the first half. He should clearly have come off
I doubt he was fit to start with based on the tape around his knee. Been there, done that.

After he jarred it landing, I agree it was quite clear he shouldn't have continued and if Scamacca was fully fit I doubt he would have.

People can say he is a winger etc etc, but that was a half fit Antonio out there and we all know how he plays if he isn't 100%. The difference between today and his last outing against them was night and day.

Just glad Scamacca looks good from the off so hopefully we get a fully fit Antonio next time he is on the pitch.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:23 pm .. almost looks like his best position is on the wing
Which is a bit of an issue when you consider his poor quality over hit crosses.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 pm I just don't think we can afford it. Broja on loan with an option to buy would be perfect for the job.
Might be why we're looking to move on Vlasic and Benrahma and bring in more fees.

Unless Broja gets a run out for Chelsea and knocks a few in, I still reckon we'll go in for him hard towards the end of the window.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Antonio clearly wanted to come off after getting a knock - not sure what he did but it was when he jumped for a ball, and seemed to be cautious of it from then on.

Man City handled him well though, had someone breathing down his neck when the ball came to him and someone to pick up on his first touch, wherever it went.

The difference when Scamacca came on was significant, hopefully he can build on that.

A front 3 of Scamacca, Bowen and Cornet has the potential to be very good, with Antonio a 70th minute sub if needed.

We have a heap of games coming up, and will need him to play a part in those, but if were to bring another in to cover it would get a :newthumb: from me.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

His club form started to dip when he started to play national football.

Hate to say it but on current form he is a bit of a busted flush
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:35 pm I turned down a free ticket today. I'd of felt Robbed even for free watching that performance from him.

"He was so so bad. Think it was very telling the whole ground lifted when Scamacca came on. One because he was coming on but also because Antonio was coming off."

From my season ticket holder friend
That's fine. But when there are people giving him stick for going down injured then I've got very little time for the rest of their opinions on his (or anyone else's) performance to be honest.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

This is great to hear, Moyes has no problems playing Micky on the wing, with Scamacca up top:-

"We might play them together, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of times they play together. But you look at most teams in the Prem and there’s probably not a lot who play with two out and out centre-forwards but Mick can play as a winger."
Penfold711
Has liked: 2003 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

I'm starting to think the opposition managers have got Antonio sussed; when he gets the ball, just get tight to him and rough him up, while not giving him a chance to turn. They know the ref isn't going to blow for a foul (or if so, it will be a rare occurrence). We saw this last week vs. City pretty much every time he got the ball and we saw it again today. Maybe giving him a spell on the forward wing might take that pressure off and force the opposition to come up with a different tactic.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

He was better today than he was against Man City.

I actually thought we got worse when we took him off.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

His goal difference this season is currently -1 thanks to his NFL antics which got Benrahma's strike disallowed.

He's not going to be the Antonio we saw up until January.

But he does keep defenders occupied. He's a good bloke to have around by all accounts and, as often noted, he could be a good impact substitution.

We need another quality striker though.
Last edited by Pete647580 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

He's never been given a run of games in goal.

Something to think about....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The thing about Mic is he has been written off his entire career. Won't make it as a Pro, proves critics wrong. Won't get to the Premier League, proves critics wrong. Will struggle to cement a 1st team place, proves critics wrong. Is never a Striker, proves critics wrong. Injury prone hamstrings will probably have to sell him, proves critics wrong.

And I think he's one of those characters who just loves being written off so he can prove yet again he can silent his critics. And even after all the recent signings up front/out wide at his age, I still think there's a other chapter left to write for him. And I love it because it must be such an infectious thing to have around the training ground. Model Pro who with limited technical ability but makes up with a class attitude and application. Here's to proving them wrong again, Michail. :muscle:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I haven't written him off because I'd take 10M for him (only a suggestion from a poster) and I would BET he's brilliant at training taking the piss and laughing at himself no end.

I don't think he'll be able to write a whole new chapter, maybe a few more pages. I'd love him to score the winner in EC cup final. he's probably have a remote control vehicle bring a life size poster of himself bring it onto the field.

but let's not pretend that we really don't need to move on from him being the starting CF most of the time.

(not intended to suggest that's what you suggested !!!!)

:crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

First goal of his 8th season as a Hammer, last night, if I am counting correctly (the seasons, not the goals).

Scored 2/9 in Europe last season.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Delighted for him.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

S-H wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:19 pm Delighted for him.
Indeed - his movement to find half a yard of space for Benny to feed the ball to him was pure striker instinct.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Did what I hoped last night. Started on the bench then when brought on looked fresher and bagged a goal

Scamacca is a different level of player. For me first choice unless playing them together ofc..

But having the option of taking him off and bringing a fresh fit Antonio? Or Antonio starting in games you rest scamacca..

Yes please