✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Kermit »

"Moments" sums up Antonio perfectly imo. He has good ones, even the occasional great one, but also the occasional lapse into parks football mode such as his aberration at Selhurst Park during Bilic's management. He's an instinctive player who does things on impulse. Whenm ha has to think, such as when in a one on one situation, he's nowhere nearly as effective.

But he's a beast, no denying that. He hasn't got a top footballer's brain, or skills, but what he does have is strength and a big heart. Imo a team with Antonio as it's main spearhead will never challenge seriously for the major honours but a team with a fresh, raring to go Antonio coming off the bench if you're chasing a goal with 30 minutes to go could be a game changer. Not to mention such a role would possibly extend his career.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I think the problem Antonio had towards the end of last season was that he looked knackered half the time. He wasn't alone in this, several players did, it was the symptom of a small squad and big fixture list.
The signing of Scamacca hopefully means that Mike will have more opportunity to rest and will therefore have a greater impact during the minutes he does spend on the pitch. His fighting spirit and having to compete for a place in the starting line up will also help. In games that he doesn't start he is going to be a beast from the bench, how great will it be to see the number 9 come up on the 70th minute mark?
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Coops wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 am I think the problem Antonio had towards the end of last season was that he looked knackered half the time. He wasn't alone in this, several players did, it was the symptom of a small squad and big fixture list.
The signing of Scamacca hopefully means that Mike will have more opportunity to rest and will therefore have a greater impact during the minutes he does spend on the pitch. His fighting spirit and having to compete for a place in the starting line up will also help. In games that he doesn't start he is going to be a beast from the bench, how great will it be to see the number 9 come up on the 70th minute mark?
He certainly did, he was run in to the ground.

He still looked pretty good in Europe though, where his style of play was new to the opposition.

The season will most likely start with Antonio being the starter, but end with Scamacca having that role.

Despite all of his faults, and me never really being a fan, Antonio will still be a great asset to have as an option for some games and particularly from the bench
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As always he will prove his doubters wrong and be a huge asset to the side
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

if Antonio is starting every game for us and keeping our 30M quid Italian international out of the team, it means he's either banging in 3 a week or the Italian bloke ain't much cop.

:winker:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Part of the time he'll be playing alongside the new guy.

With reduced responsibilities he'll be like a new man in that role.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

irving boleyn wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:16 pm Part of the time he'll be playing alongside the new guy.

I'd play them both up top at Anfield.

they wouldn't know what's hit 'em...

and at the Etihad too.........

Damn the torpedoes, FULL SPEED AHEAD.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:21 am As always he will prove his doubters wrong and be a huge asset to the side
Well he's not been proving them wrong since January this year, nor in pre-season. Maybe he'll have another purple patch again.

We should have sold him last summer when his stock was high, rather than extend his contract to keeps him at the club until he's 35.

Hopefully he becomes back up to Scamacca rather than the other way around, and playing much less will do him good.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:34 pm rather than extend his contract to keeps him at the club until he's 35.
I still don't understand that decision
Robin Banks
Has liked: 265 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Robin Banks »

irving boleyn wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:16 pm Part of the time he'll be playing alongside the new guy.

Are you suggesting he'd be like a new signing? :arry:
David Sullivan likes your way of thinking :grin:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Has he played left back for us yet?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:59 am Has he played left back for us yet?
LWB against Watford in Moyes' first spell during Masuaku's suspension.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

antonio should have been given a contract to 33 years plus a one year option. so we are a year over we can live with that compared to the winston reid and carroll contracts. If moyes signs a player like dennis now then he has cover for antonio for next season and beyound. he has been poor for a while now and needs to be dropped from the CF role as he isnt a good finisher. scamacca and dennis can battle it out for who starts.

bowen scamacca dennis nice pacey and young line

been a good player for us but iron mic is declining now and fast ! I expect to see him more on the wing this season. a player like traore could cover and replace him . would also cover bowen on the right .

dennis and traore would be ideal players for us.

having said all that I wouldnt put it past antonio to bag the winner next sunday !
dean_whu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by dean_whu »

Unbelievable comments!!

I would have given him a ten year contract and a knighthood.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Considering he's played in every position except goalkeeper, to say he's been a great servant to the club is a bit of an understatement IMO.
Always gives 100% and the goal against spurs at their new stadium which put a west ham sized S##t stain on it will stay long in the memory.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I really don't get the hate for Antonio on here, saying he's finished and can't do a job for us now. He's a handful on the ball whichever way you look at it. He certainly draws defenders out of position and if we'd have had someone else up front we'd all be singing his praises as to how he holds the ball up well and is strong on the ball.

You could tell last season towards the end he was burnt out. It'd be interesting to see how he performs with another forward partner this season.

He was never an out and out centre-forward and I think, given the circumstances he's done a fantastic job. Thirteen goals last season and ten the previous two isn't bad for a centre-forward who isn't a centre-forward. It's worth remembering he's currently West Ham United's all-time top scorer in the Premier League.
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:07 pm if Antonio is starting every game for us and keeping our 30M quid Italian international out of the team, it means he's either banging in 3 a week or the Italian bloke ain't much cop.

:winker:
Or ….dare I even mention ….we have reduced numbers due to injuries. Nah, never happen at West Ham😬
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

He’s a freak of nature. He’s struggling to find the back of the net at the minute but he’s causing defences problems and still getting on the end of chances. He’ll come good this season as he won’t be flogged to death game after game. Looking forward to seeing him line up alongside Scamacca at some point.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:02 am I really don't get the hate for Antonio on here, saying he's finished and can't do a job for us now. He's a handful on the ball whichever way you look at it. He certainly draws defenders out of position and if we'd have had someone else up front we'd all be singing his praises as to how he holds the ball up well and is strong on the ball.

You could tell last season towards the end he was burnt out. It'd be interesting to see how he performs with another forward partner this season.

He was never an out and out centre-forward and I think, given the circumstances he's done a fantastic job. Thirteen goals last season and ten the previous two isn't bad for a centre-forward who isn't a centre-forward. It's worth remembering he's currently West Ham United's all-time top scorer in the Premier League.
for me its what role he is playing depends on what i expect for him.

When he was filling in for haller during injury I expected not a lot and was surprised with his output.

then he kept him out the team due to form.

when we sold haller , didnt buy a replacement and gave him the number 9 shirt basically saying antonio is no longer a player who plays everywhere but our out and out CF I expected a lot more from him than he delivered.

now he is part of a strikers team I expect slightly less once again.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

this seems to be an ongoing thread on facebook too.
imho i never thought of him as a centre forward. striker on the right, yes, striker on the left, maybe.
Reality is he has looked jaded since playing for Jamaica and the guy is 33 now.
But i'd certainly want him coming on pretty much every match this season for one of the front 3.
He is an option and offers something different, and if we don't get another left winger, i'd be happy for him to start there, far more than benrahma.