✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by iLoveLasagne »

We need another striker not just to rotate for fitness reasons but for form as well. I felt he did OK at times but he seems to drift out wide more regularly in recent times.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:17 pm clearly not at his best but still good . maybe needs to be benched on weds and saved for chelsea.

we have no other striker like him so will have to adapt until moyes can get one in on the 1st January !

Iron mic`s 3 legs are in need of a rest !!!!! :crylol: :crylol:

I look forward to a recharged beast destroying chelsea on saturday !
What like we rested him midweek against Vienna to save him for City on Sunday? Just accept he's been rubbish for a while now and we desperately need a backup/someone to push him more than any other position on the pitch and have done since we sold Haller.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

All strikers have these runs and that trip to Jamaica and back must have exhausted him.....

He'll be back, in the goals, bouncing everyone off him, big grin & in the goals real soon. Maybe when we least expect it.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:17 pm Just accept he's been rubbish for a while now
I don't think he has.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Strange narrative that is being pushed that he has been rubbish for a while
He may not have been as effective as first couple of months, but he has been far from rubbish. He was the best player in the Premier League for the first six weeks or so so it was always going to be hard to keep that form up. Opposition managers have now wised up to how good he is and are focusing on negating his impact as much as they can

Cut the geezer some slack. He hasn't lost focus, or thinks he is the billy b*llocks all of the sudden. He just isn't playing quite as well as August and September. But then that can be said about a few players in our team. It happens. Very few players play at the top of their form all the time - and those that do are worth £100m
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

He brings so much more than goals. His runs free up others. His link up play is perfect for our style. His enthusiasm is like having a 12th man on the pitch.

We need his goals back - but, rubbish for a while? Come on!
Lars Jacobsen
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

It's not panic, knee-jerking or knicker-wetting to say that this is the exact reason that 99% of us were crying out for backup to Antonio in the Summer.

That's not to say that he's finished, past it, lazy or any of those things. Strikers are allowed a drop-off in form. Our issue is not having one on the bench to replace him when he's struggling.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 am It's not panic, knee-jerking or knicker-wetting to say that this is the exact reason that 99% of us were crying out for backup to Antonio in the Summer.

That's not to say that he's finished, past it, lazy or any of those things. Strikers are allowed a drop-off in form. Our issue is not having one on the bench to replace him when he's struggling.
This was the point I was making in the summer, most people were focused on Antonio's fitness and having a replacement for when his hamstrings go but not many were talking about having an alternative to when his form drops off which was just as likely.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

When I think of “rubbish” players or players who have gone through rubbish form, nothing comes off, their heads drop and they don’t add anything to the team.

Antonio may not be scoring like he was at the start of the season, but his head hasn’t dropped, he’s still working hard and he adds a huge amount to the team.

He’s scoring tonight. 100%.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

https://www.transfermarkt.com/michail-a ... ler/104124

https://understat.com/team/West_Ham/2021

He was clearly on a very good run at the start of the season.
Since he stopped scoring and assisting on a regular basis, he has had the second highest xG & xA for us, and had most key passes.
No-one have more minutes than him since 01.10 either, and we've won four of those games.

Must be doing something right.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

antonio is a great player but has dropped his levels. he is still our most important attacker for us but we needed to have cover this season for when he has a dip in form, is injured ,knackered or we need a sub on to continue his fine work. bowen is good but not a replacement for antonio.
he cant play tonight and saturday after sunday. so bench him tonight and play him on saturday. its a gamble for tonight but we dont really have much choice. playing him will risk injury tonight.

Jan 1st we need a striker or at least lingard in .
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 am It's not panic, knee-jerking or knicker-wetting to say that this is the exact reason that 99% of us were crying out for backup to Antonio in the Summer.

Exactly my point before the season started, to be honest im amazed he's had such a run of form without a decent backup option.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

If I had watched West Ham over the last 18 months I would say to stop Antonio you double team him to get him isolated. Even one of the best defenders in the PL got turned by him a couple of times in our last home game and he ended up creating corners that we scored from.

If he is occupying a couple of defenders you hope other players exploit that. Lingard certainly did. Bowen and Benny need to capitalise on what other teams have to do to nullify Antonio.

I'd still like to know who this top quality striker is that will sign for us knowing that he is basically Antonio's back-up.

Why signing Lingard still makes sense to me.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

On current form I'm getting into the 'anyone but' Antonio camp. He's lack of discipline (running into other peoples spaces) and continually choosing the wrong option is affecting other players games.
The teams that progress show no sentimentality with their selections i.e what you did in the past is irrelevant as what you are doing now is all that matters.
Big game for him tonight.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:34 pm On current form I'm getting into the 'anyone but' Antonio camp.
Yawn.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am Strange narrative that is being pushed that he has been rubbish for a while
He may not have been as effective as first couple of months, but he has been far from rubbish. He was the best player in the Premier League for the first six weeks or so so it was always going to be hard to keep that form up. Opposition managers have now wised up to how good he is and are focusing on negating his impact as much as they can
It's far from a strange narrative, maybe rubbish is a strong word, but his performances have dropped significantly from his usual high standards. Saying opposition managers have 'wised up' is a strange narrative. Antonio has been a very effective striker for the best part of 3 seasons now, barring injuries, it's no mystery what he does or how he plays and I think it's quite simply an excuse for subpar performances. I haven't seen him dominate a defence for a good few games, poor first touches and decision making have been the replacement lately.

The majority of us are all for cutting him some slack I think, how could you not be? Similarly to Fornals, there's enough credit in the bank. Players dip, it happens, I'm sure he'll find his form again, hopefully it'll be tonight.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Its a shame we can't play Tottenham everyday as he loves scoring against them.

I reckon he'll score a(nother) classic against them in the League Cup.
arlhe
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

No idea why people feel the need to get on our players case all the time. Would anyone have said he was rubbish before the Wolves game?

They are not automata and will have spells when they are not at their best.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Hockley Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:30 pm I'd still like to know who this top quality striker is that will sign for us knowing that he is basically Antonio's back-up.
We shouldn't be signing a back up, we should be signing a replacement. 50 games a season is plenty to rotate two top strikers.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Another game another poor performance

Needs replacing

Play benramha or Bowen up there least they can hold up the ball ..

He isn't that great a finisher either so not exactly a loss.