✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 702 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Pob! »

I'd rather get rid of Benny than Micky!!!
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio is a great sub to bring on. Got 2 years in him if we manage his minutes
poplargeezer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Antonio has been a fantastic servant to our Club.
It's sad to witness the disrespect to his contribution to our cause.
He may not be the sharpest in the box but has much more to give for us, particularly as an impact sub.
Show some respect, appreciate his qualities, and we'll see some more magic from his locker.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 437 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

I know Bowen and Cornet can ‘do a job’ up front but I really feel we’re a striker light. I think Antonio is fine as striker 2 this season, maybe he becomes striker 3 next year, that’s fine, but I really don’t think he needs to get pushed, maybe he drops off and this is his last contract or perhaps he reinvent himself again as an impact player and keeps going a while longer. I’d love to see the pair of them sometimes, I’d almost feel sorry for the opposition defence.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

poplargeezer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 am Antonio has been a fantastic servant to our Club.
He may not be the sharpest in the box but has much more to give for us, particularly as an impact sub.
Show some respect, appreciate his qualities, and we'll see some more magic from his locker.
It is very sad to see.
He has been written off many times and comes back. And he will do so again.
Scamacca might be thr shiny new toy but let's wait qnd see if he can terrorise the top Premier League defences on his own like Antonio has proven he can do time after time
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

I think DL's caveat is the key. IF we replace him.

The January market is notoriously hard to get what you want in and while Antonio may go for a premium to a desperate team, it is harder and more expensive to get the player we want.

I agree he isn't the consistent striker of that 18 month period, but I do think he is still more effective than some give him credit for. He has made some important contributions this season and both our strikers have benefited from the work the other has done when coming on as a sub and scoring.

The key for me is the football we play with Scamacca. That is the football I want to see and he is delivering so that makes it a no brainer that he is the starter.

But having someone who is a bit different like Antonio, who is happy to have to fight for his place given where he is in his career and who is, I imagine, a well liked member of the squad is not to be underestimated.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Two pages since I went to bed, plus it carried over in to other threads. My work is done :coolas:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

-DL- wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:18 am Two pages since I went to bed, plus it carried over in to other threads. My work is done :coolas:
Manufacturing forum traffic :D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:20 am Manufacturing forum traffic :D
That's the M.O.

We've all fell for it over the years.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:20 am Manufacturing forum traffic :D
Nah, not really - it was said tongue in cheek, and I stand by my post.

Morning Eggy :blowkiss:
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

poplargeezer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 am Antonio has been a fantastic servant to our Club.
What disrespect ?

I'm far from his biggest fan and think he is very limited as a footballer. Effective, yes, limited, yes, great, no, replaceable, yes.

But in my opinion, his transformation under Moyes, particularly in that period during and after lockdown, was phenomenal. He made that position his own by right and grew into it, and as has been said many a time it's not his fault every ounce was rinsed out of him due to having no one challenging for his place. It shows what a run of games, fitness and belief from the manager does for a player's confidence.

That said, I'd have no problem if were to be moved on at the seasons end, as long as we have someone else challenging for the striker role. But for this season having him as an option - either from the bench or as an occasional starter - leaves us in a great position and gives our opponents something different to deal with.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

It's not disrespectful to give polite opinion on players. I like Mikey as a bloke and respect what he has done for us very much.

It has to be said though that when he is one on one heading for goal he fluffs his lines far too often for a striker and don't start me on his shooting ability.

Yes he is tough and strong and brings others into the game but lately I've noticed a decline in his performance. Others haven't and have a different opinion than me and that's fine.

If we want to be top 6 or more it's a case of spending more to get a good upgrade. Manchester United were never sentimental about Stam, Beckham or Keane and they are all heroes still at the club, but Ferguson had to be ruthless.

I just want to say again I'm not disrespecting Antonio, he will always be a West Ham hero.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Typical Antonio goal

Chaos :crylol:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Great work on the goal. Fluffed the first chance but was quickest to react unlike Scamacca in the first half.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

He is what he is!
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Must be horrendous for a tired opposition defence when Moyes brings him on for the last 10 and he just runs straight through you.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Classic Antonio goal today. Power strength and determination and then a comedy of errors and a bit of luck.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Scamacca may be better, but I don't joyously laugh at the things he does the way I do with Mic. The way he burst through that challenge before the goal was just classic, some may say "vintage" Antonio. What a manoeuvre! It's just funny, he just makes football fun, uniquely so, to some extent.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:03 pm Scamacca may be better, but I don't joyously laugh at the things he does the way I do with Mic. The way he burst through that challenge before the goal was just classic, some may say "vintage" Antonio. What a manoeuvre! It's just funny, he just makes football fun, uniquely so, to some extent.
I don’t think even Antonio has any idea what he’s going to do next, so under those circumstances how does anyone else. Entirely unorthodox in thought which can go either way, and it often does. This makes him as joyous to watch as it does frustrating. He’s been great for this club. It must now irk him that up front he’s likely to become yesterdays man.