✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by prophet:marginal »

Another player in a long line, for me, for whom we're not really getting anything like the full picture.

He's been struggling for match fitness for months and months.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I hope Iron Mike recovers fully and regains his form.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

I hope we sell him
DrVenk
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Meh. Great to have in the squad, but wouldn't start in my first 11. We had a lot of players out against Southampton, and his injury didn't disrupt us at all. Quite telling.

As Proph says, for whatever reason (attitude, fitness, decision-making etc.) we just don't seem to get a consistent run of form from him.

One of those who I'm happy to see as an option but really wouldn't be bothered if he left.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Not having him as an option at all is a big loss going into the push for survival...the owners underinvestment has stimied us for this scenario..and other players are gonna feel the pressure more. Let’s hope we don’t get anymore injuries...wish Antonio a quick recovery.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

ereford ammer wrote:I hope Iron Mike recovers fully and regains his form.
Never really understood this nickname. Far from made of Iron, or is it because he plays for the Irons?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Nobody wishes injuries on anyone but what will we miss? Judging on his contribution this year
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

hammers92 wrote:Nobody wishes injuries on anyone but what will we miss? Judging on his contribution this year
No doubt he has been less effective...and his attitude has been questionable - but not having the option in the final games is a loss.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Would love to see him back to the form of the Boleyn season and putting his best into right wing back. If we had him as right wing back and Masuaku as left wing back we’d have some great wide transition options and tremendous pace.

Suffers the most from the loss of Payet, and it’s never good to have a succession of hamstring issues.

Hope to see him back but equally wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Antonio's problems are a direct consequence of David Sullivan and which ever manager he chooses to hide behind's utter stupidity and gross incompetence,imo.He was earmarked for RB on our move to the OS!!then RWB,RW, CF,LW and he was so integral to the team, due to the shitness of the signings and the miniscule size of the squad, that he has been forced in to action too soon and carrying injuries - You reap what you sow.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Antonio might have haboured some thoughts of joining up with the England squad and as such prompted the tears rather than not playing particullaly for us.
I don’t think he had a cat in hells chance but it might have been in his head.
cmoore4099

Post by cmoore4099 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Never really understood this nickname. Far from made of Iron, or is it because he plays for the Irons?
Because he has the body type (and used to have the same haircut) of a small Mike Tyson innit?
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

One his day he is almost unplayable but he's not had 'his day' for a year or more now. Actually, I rate him very highly and feel for the lad with this latest injury. That's the second time his hammy has given way on him in less than a year so let's make sure he is right before bringing him back into the squad. I think he'll be missed.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Whether we decide to keep him, or sell him will be pre-determined by the level of progress we want to make as a club
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

I thought he looked up for it until he went off injured on Saturday. The lad was clearly devastated. Unlike a certain other striker of ours that seems to enjoy being injured.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

stu1 wrote: Apparently he left the field in tears yesterday, putting to bed the rumours he doesn’t care anymore.
Upset about not going to Russia. :tune:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

szola wrote:I hope we sell him
Me too

Let's face it he is a piss poor player
marktea

Post by marktea »

prophet:marginal wrote:Another player in a long line, for me, for whom we're not really getting anything like the full picture.

He's been struggling for match fitness for months and months.
Agreed. When fit there is no doubt what he can do. I'll add two other selection-related factors; being played out of position and being played when not fully fit.

Once he first had the germ of an idea it took Bilic ages to get it into his head that Antonio was not a full back. In fact, I'm not sure he ever fully gave up on that idea. That impacted not only our team performances (of course, he's NOT a full back - he's not even a defensive wing back) but also Antonio's confidence for a while as he kept getting hung out to dry for defensive errors.

The thinness of our squad and our constantly being on the verge of crisis for the last two seasons has also resulted in him playing a number of games where he has clearly not been fully fit. That has affected his performances and, in the long run, has ended up in him missing far more games than he otherwise would have.

However, all we need to know about Antonio is that when fit - and played in the right areas of the pitch - he is a player who can open up Premier League defences and score goals. What do you have to pay these days to get someone who can do that?

I know we are all sick of players with injuries given how much we have suffered over the past couple of years but Antonio is one that I would definitely keep and put in the effort to get him fully fit again. At minimum we would get a good squad player who could impact from the bench. At his best, we'll potentially have a lot more.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Centre Half wrote:Let's face it he is a piss poor player
He's very much not, as 20 goals in 76 PL apps confirms. Technically limited, perhaps, and over-reliant on physical attributes, granted - but 1 in 4 suggests that "piss poor" isn't wholly accurate.

If he can get fit, have a good preseason, and stay fit, he'd be an asset for most Prem clubs outside of the big boys.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I was gutted he went off as was looking forward to seeing him play in his best position, and he looked lively.
In two recent cameo roles in his better position (liverpool and swansea away), he managed to score both times

Play him in a front 4 (ideally left or right of a front 3) and he scores frequently

Play him anywhere else and he is wasted

Unfortunately I think we have a similar situation to Winston Reid, in that frequent injuries (potentially exacerbated by always being brought back too quickly) have caught up with him