✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Doc H Ball »

NWhammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:51 pm His best moment came when he went wide right, got to the byline and crossed. Funny that.
Was it?

I thought it might be when he burst through and hit a hard drive on the half volley. Or maybe his running and crossing from both wings as he ran himself into the ground trying to make space and opportunities for people like Bowen, Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini and Rice - all of whom played a lot worse overall.

It encapsulated his season. You can flog a dead horse only so much.

Dreadful management. Moyes has had some blind spot for nearly 18 months now. He’s been brilliant, but not when dealing with the number 9.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I thought Thursday was a typical performance from him, the ball gets played up to him and most of the time he fails to control it or is unable to lay off a simple pass to a team mate.

The odd occasion he does control it and spins in behind, perhaps two or three times out of every ten, this seems to be enough for people to think he is some sort of master centre forward who is great at holding up the ball.

Next game please watch how often we manage to retain possession when it is played to Antonio, it rarely happens. I like him and can see his merits but please next year can we have a forward who can trap the ball and find a team mate with a pass.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Centre Half wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:52 am I thought Thursday was a typical performance from him, the ball gets played up to him and most of the time he fails to control it or is unable to lay off a simple pass to a team mate.

The odd occasion he does control it and spins in behind, perhaps two or three times out of every ten, this seems to be enough for people to think he is some sort of master centre forward who is great at holding up the ball.

Next game please watch how often we manage to retain possession when it is played to Antonio, it rarely happens. I like him and can see his merits but please next year can we have a forward who can trap the ball and find a team mate with a pass.

and every time this happens, he has two of three players in close attendance too
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:57 am .
and every time this happens, he has two of three players in close attendance too
It's actually the reverse Puff, we don't.
And therein lies the main issue.
When looking for a replacement he needs to score goals, hold the ball up long enough for others to join in, pass to feet and make himself available for the return pass/cross, run the channels and above all make sure he runs non stop for 90 minutes otherwise you get screamed at for being a lazy **** (as the mob behind me were calling him on Thursday).
I'm just wondering who this player is, it's our current style of play that dictates the type of forward we require.
It's the reason Haller failed (in some people's eyes), that and the fact that apparently he didn't smile much.
Am struggling to think who we could get in that a) would come to us and b) would be available at a price we are willing to pay.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Would be great to see him end the season with q couple of goals and then go on holiday and have q proper rest to get ready for next season

I doubt there is a striker in the league who has put his body through so much over the course of the season

He will be a key component again next season, and rightly so
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

mushy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:10 am
Am struggling to think who we could get in that a) would come to us and b) would be available at a price we are willing to pay.
there isn't one.

ask David Moyes.

Lord knows what we're going to do when he's 43 and still playing up front for us..

:winker:
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:56 am Was it?

I thought it might be when he burst through and hit a hard drive on the half volley. Or maybe his running and crossing from both wings as he ran himself into the ground trying to make space and opportunities for people like Bowen, Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini and Rice - all of whom played a lot worse overall.

It encapsulated his season. You can flog a dead horse only so much.

Dreadful management. Moyes has had some blind spot for nearly 18 months now. He’s been brilliant, but not when dealing with the number 9.
Dreadful management? Blind spot with Antonio? I cannot agree. Antonio has had very good season and pretty much injury free, surprisingly. I believe he has been well managed by the coaching staff and physio's.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

I think Antonio performed better up top alone when our defence held a higher line so it was easier to get numbers around him, I think that is one downfalls of Dawson's and Cresswell's lack of pace in that we often found ourselves defending a lot deeper as a team isolating Antonio a lot more up front.

I feel Ogbonna has been a massive miss for us, in so much how much his attributes not only influenced how we defended but how we also attacked.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 534 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:20 am He was no such thing.
....alright.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Antonio is on my long list of 5 players for HotY
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Centre Half wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:52 am The odd occasion he does control it and spins in behind, perhaps two or three times out of every ten, this seems to be enough for people to think he is some sort of master centre forward who is great at holding up the ball.

He can be great at holding up the ball. Plenty of the time he's not. And while there are people who think he's some sort of master centre forward, there's people who think he is terrible too.

I had a look at his passing stats out of curiosity and compared him with some of the other strikers in the league:

Antonio 68%
Lukaku 79%
Ronaldo 82%
Kane 72%
Toney 60%
Pukki 75%
Watkins 73%
Che Adams 67%

Also, some stats from oneversusone.com for Antonio:

390 lost balls (2nd highest in the league)
198 aerial duels won in opponents half (4th highest in the league)
160 aerial duels lost overall (4th highest in the league)
63 lost balls in own half (4th highest in the league)

Which tells a large chunk of the story when it comes to Antonio's hold up play. Not great at retaining the ball, decent at winning it.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I saw some statistics the other day that showed that Antonio had as many shots in the first five games this season as he had in a period of around four months from NYD.

The 'alternative clips' Europa thing for Frankfurt just reminded me of how differently we were functioning up to the late November international break.

Somewhere along the line, the team has lost it's slickness and it's drive. It could be the string of injuries at the back that prompted it. It could be tiredness. It could be the tactical and selection reaction to the Leeds and Kidderminster games. It could be that time is catching up with the older players. It could be other things outside what's happening on the field.

We just have to get through these final three games, then review, learn and improve so that we are able to slip back into the from we had earlier in the season. That applies both individually and as a unit.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:05 am Antonio is on my long list of 5 players for HotY
Rice
Dawson
Bowen
Zouma
Antonio

In that order for me. A big gap between 4th and 5th for me though. Those top 4 have put in consistently good performances throughout the season. I will add though, I do think Antonio has played much of this season not to get injured, he sprints less and when he does it's not full throttle. Could be a Moyes instruction or a decision he has made himself, both would be for obvious reasons, but it does lessen one of his biggest strengths.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:24 am Rice
Dawson
Bowen
Zouma
Antonio

In that order for me. A big gap between 4th and 5th for me though. Those top 4 have put in consistently good performances throughout the season. I will add though, I do think Antonio has played much of this season not to get injured, he sprints less and when he does it's not full throttle. Could be a Moyes instruction or a decision he has made himself, both would be for obvious reasons, but it does lessen one of his biggest strengths.
I would include Fornals, at the expense of Zouma, but haven't yet decided the order.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Diogenes wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:47 pm Dreadful management? Blind spot with Antonio? I cannot agree. Antonio has had very good season and pretty much injury free, surprisingly. I believe he has been well managed by the coaching staff and physio's.
Think maybe you misunderstand me. No issue with Antonio. My issue is with not having replaced Haller and given Mic back up so he could be rested or moved as was obviously necessary for everyone a long while ago.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 am He can be great at holding up the ball. Plenty of the time he's not. And while there are people who think he's some sort of master centre forward, there's people who think he is terrible too.

I had a look at his passing stats out of curiosity and compared him with some of the other strikers in the league:

Antonio 68%
Lukaku 79%
Ronaldo 82%
Kane 72%
Toney 60%
Pukki 75%
Watkins 73%
Che Adams 67%

Also, some stats from oneversusone.com for Antonio:

390 lost balls (2nd highest in the league)
198 aerial duels won in opponents half (4th highest in the league)
160 aerial duels lost overall (4th highest in the league)
63 lost balls in own half (4th highest in the league)

Which tells a large chunk of the story when it comes to Antonio's hold up play. Not great at retaining the ball, decent at winning it.
I think we give Antonio too many 50/50 balls.
We have been too direct in 2022. Burnley at home was a prime example.
I think he wins more than he should, usually against 2 centre backs
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:16 am I saw some statistics the other day that showed that Antonio had as many shots in the first five games this season as he had in a period of around four months from NYD.
That is incredible.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Love to see it :grin:

Hamburger
Has liked: 862 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Whilst he can be anonymous for much of a game, you have to question if he is getting the service. Big hacks up front expecting him to perform miracles is not really productive either. He does draw players to him and create space for others but my only beef is consistency and positioning. He plays all over the place and on the one hand that is versatility, on the other hand, players have no idea where he will be and the box is often vacant. I personally think he is going to be an excellent impact player and turn games if we can find an upgrade striker.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I see we have raised our offer to Lille for Onana to £38m and they are now considering it