✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by smuts »

If Moyes and Newman haven't got a list of strikers to slap bids in for come 1st Jan then words fail me.

Antonio has looked knackered for the last 2 months.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

At least if Antonio carries on playing the way he has in the last six weeks, we won’t have to worry about him going off to play for Jamaica on the other side of the world.

I doubt they’d want to pick him!
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Centre Half wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:55 am At least if Antonio carries on playing the way he has in the last six weeks, we won’t have to worry about him going off to play for Jamaica on the other side of the world.

I doubt they’d want to pick him!
You'd hope so, they have six games from January to April that he could really do without.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We need to get more possession of the ball rice can't do it all with a misfiring soucek. Does kral come in to stiffen the midfield up ?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

He wasn't at his best last night was Mike. He hasn't been for a few games now. However, I'm not going to castigate him for being the only striker we have. It's not his fault we don't have another option, so we have to give him a full 90 even when he is blowing out of his ample derriere, misplacing passes, getting caught in possession and generally giving a 5/10 performance.

I get he worked the keeper with that header, but the keeper made a save that was good for the cameras, but being realistic, it was a bread and butter stop for him.

Other than that, he was pony, like he has been since arguably before Liverpool, yet we're stuck with having to play him because we sold our one and only other striker almost a year ago.

Again, not his fault he's out of form, it happens to every player - and the board/Moyes/whomever that thought it would be a good idea to go a year without any kind of alternative, maybe needs to take a bit of responsibility for a massive error of judgement, and error of judgement that even a mere layperson like me could see what the consequences would be if out talisman hit poor form or got injured.

I don't think anybody needed hindsight to predict that this would eventually happen.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

-DL- wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:45 am He wasn't at his best last night was Mike. He hasn't been for a few games now. However, I'm not going to castigate him for being the only striker we have. It's not his fault we don't have another option, so we have to give him a full 90 even when he is blowing out of his ample derriere, misplacing passes, getting caught in possession and generally giving a 5/10 performance.

I get he worked the keeper with that header, but the keeper made a save that was good for the cameras, but being realistic, it was a bread and butter stop for him.

Other than that, he was pony, like he has been since arguably before Liverpool, yet we're stuck with having to play him because we sold our one and only other striker almost a year ago.

Again, not his fault he's out of form, it happens to every player - and the board/Moyes/whomever that thought it would be a good idea to go a year without any kind of alternative, maybe needs to take a bit of responsibility for a massive error of judgement, and error of judgement that even a mere layperson like me could see what the consequences would be if out talisman hit poor form or got injured.

I don't think anybody needed hindsight to predict that this would eventually happen.
Mic drop that! BOOM, couldn't say it any better myself.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I understand the "he's our only striker" comments but if he was injured, we'd make do.

We could shift Bowen up, with three of Lanzini, Benrahma, Fornals, Vlasic behind him.
We could start Yarmolenko.
We could give Perkins 20 minutes here and there.

If we watch him start blowing out of his arse after half an hour against Chelsea and struggle as a team because of it, Moyes has to take responsibility.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

last night was ideal game to rest him after city game and chelsea on saturday. moyes chose to play him to get the win. antonio didnt perform.
we all knew this would happen with most thinking he would be injured by now !

maybe bench him and bring him on last 30 mins against chelsea if we are still in the game !
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:45 am I understand the "he's our only striker" comments but if he was injured, we'd make do.

We could shift Bowen up, with three of Lanzini, Benrahma, Fornals, Vlasic behind him.

If we watch him start blowing out of his arse after half an hour against Chelsea and struggle as a team because of it, Moyes has to take responsibility.
Bowen hasn’t shown anything of note in his performances up top that he’d excel there

Yarmolenko is useless in the Premier League

Perkins has played a few minutes in a meaningless game in the Europa League, although I’d have rather seen him out there last night than Antonio.

Your comments are entirely stop gaps, we can’t settle for just ‘making do’ we desperately need a striker, and a bloody good one to come in and be first choice if we really want to push on.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:45 am I understand the "he's our only striker" comments but if he was injured, we'd make do.
We're supposedly a football club playing in supposedly the top league in Europe, if not the world. We're supposedly trying to get a top four finish this season.

We shouldn't be 'making do'. We shouldn't be putting wingers and other forwards in as our main striker as the board and manager allowed our only other striker to leave the club last year, and failed to replace him.

It's this acceptance of 'making do' that gets whatever moron thought having a 32 year old, injury prone, going through a purple patch Antonio as our main striker off the hook.

Making do is using a can of tyre weld rather than having a replacement wheel and tyre. Yarmo, Bowen, and the poor kid Perkins who has played just 15 minutes of first team football against a beaten and down and out Genk are the said tin of tyre weld - so whilst they may do a job, like a tin of tyre weld may do if a screw or nail goes in your tyre, it's a temporary measure, and absolutely hopeless if the tyre goes bang - and the only thing that would suffice is a replacement - but you don't have one, and you're standing by the side of the road in the pissing down of rain, freezing your tits off, just because you were a tight arse and didn't tick the 'spare wheel' box on the options list...
Last edited by -DL- on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Of course you have to make do as there are no other options, for a team wanting a champions league spot, Bowen or Yarmo up top aren't acceptable
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

We just need another striker in, on jan 1st !
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Make do ? Are you sure ?

We are making do currently with Antonio as he is our only option, regardless of form, fitness or anything else.

We have zero options to "make do" without him and that is an oversight that is already biting us in the bum
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Do you reckon we need another striker?
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

S-H wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:09 pm Do you reckon we need another striker?
Nah, we will make do

That or we can have a poll
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Antonio is one of our biggest strengths and liabilities, when he is on song he is amazing but when he isnt , or tired or marked out the game we have no other option
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Think we all agree the situation with having one recognised striker is laughable, and indeed we shouldn’t be having to make do with false 9s etc.

However, we are in the situation we are currently in. I would have liked to have seen Antonio subbed early yesterday and to try Bowen or Vlasic up top. They certainly couldn’t be any less effective than Antonio was yesterday. It was a terrible performance from him.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

ToiletDuck wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm Antonio is one of our biggest strengths and liabilities, when he is on song he is amazing but when he isnt , or tired or marked out the game we have no other option
Sad thing is it didn't take a footballing genius to work this out, we all saw this situation coming.

Mic needs some help. Dave needs other viable options. It is down to GSB to give him the money and offer the wages needed to attract a decent option.
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:56 am Making do is using a can of tyre weld rather than having a replacement wheel and tyre. Yarmo, Bowen, and the poor kid Perkins who has played just 15 minutes of first team football against a beaten and down and out Genk are the said tin of tyre weld - so whilst they may do a job, like a tin of tyre weld may do if a screw or nail goes in your tyre, it's a temporary measure, and absolutely hopeless if the tyre goes bang - and the only thing that would suffice is a replacement - but you don't have one, and you're standing by the side of the road in the pissing down of rain, freezing your tits off, just because you were a tight arse and didn't tick the 'spare wheel' box on the options list...
DL is slyly letting us know he has lost his spare tyre :winker:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

He needs a rest. Unfortunately him deciding to go and play for Jamaica is costing us in the league. We can all point to it not being his fault the club only has one striker but nonetheless there we are.

I think he needs to be benched against Chelsea.