Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: Trump

Post by Arnold Layne »

‘Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.’
Voltaire said that.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Was it really Voltaire? It sounds like a Rage Against the Machine lyric.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:02 am ‘Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.’
Voltaire said that.
Equally suited to the Ukraine thread, which kind of says a lot, I suppose.
IronHammer1
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by IronHammer1 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 pm The 'of all the **** that needs to be done, people are worrying about the stupid **** he's said' sentiment is where I've been coming from this whole time when discussing the topic with people.

Hilarious, on election day, to ask people who are apparently anti-Trump to name one of his political suggestions and/or manifestos that they disagree with from a social, political or economical point of view.

"Ermm I dunno, I just don't like him"

Right.
Still true today six years later.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

IronHammer1 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:30 pm Still true today six years later.
Of course the flip side to that is how many people could name policies of his they liked.

They just thought his insults of women, minorities and people with disabilities were a sign of strength.

They're wrong. He's a shitbag cowardly criminal but trump supporters were never the smartest bunch.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

trumps legacy continues to linger on & we could see a whole sh!tload of problems during the midterm elections in November.

A rural county in New Mexico, just north of El Paso where a trump supporter killed 23 mainly Hispanic people in a Walmart, is refusing to certify last weeks election results because they don't trust the counting machines.

These machines have been checked over & over & it's only because trump said they were rigged that there's this issue. So the commissioner, Couy Griffin - founder of Cowboys for trump & also convicted of attacking the US Capitol building on January 6th last year - is sitting tight.

These are just the primary elections (republican v republican and democrat v democrat to see who runs against each other in November) but I think we'll see a lot of this nonsense in November.

Incredible that the country that prides itself on being the worlds greatest democracy - indeed many Americans think this country invented democracy - is on the brink of having its democracy brought to it's knees by one man. Just one man, spouting obvious lies which have been proved false over & over again, will have a massive impact for decades to come.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... ry-results
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

If Garland doesn't indict Trump and his minions after these hearings are over, then the mirage of democracy is done, or very close to being done here. At this point, the main reason for pretending that we live in one is because our military uses it as its primary marketing tool. Bringing democracy to the world one desert at a time.
Last edited by WCpete on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

WCpete wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:33 pm If Garland doesn't indict Trump and his minions after these hearings are over, then the mirage of democracy is done, or very close to being done here. At this point, the main reason for pretending that we live in is because our military uses it as its primary marketing tool. Bringing democracy to the world one oil bearing desert at a time.
:winker:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

These hearings are incredible. They are far more damning than either impeachment. Trump wanted violence in the streets. It was their clear strategy. Violence on a far broader and extensive scale than the attack on the Capitol. And the set up could have come from ‘The Godfather’ This is so ****ed up.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:02 am ‘Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.’
Voltaire said that.
When you look at the Trump mob you can see that Voltaire got it spot on.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

EvilC wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:24 am Was it really Voltaire? It sounds like a Rage Against the Machine lyric.
If RATM used the line then they borrowed it from Voltaire.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

And the way to make people believe absurdities is to be a master of Costanzaism.

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

This should make any American's blood go cold. Highly respected and influential Conservative Judge Luttig, now retired from the circuit, said this at the hearings today:

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I'm hoping Mexico takes California back.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The USA is the case for a Monarchy.

No one in their right mind would have swapped the Queen for any American president.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 pm I'm hoping Mexico takes California back.
As in by force, or because we ask to be taken back? Because I'm not sure they'd want us back, tbh.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 pm The USA is the case for a Monarchy.

No one in their right mind would have swapped the Queen for any American president.
Thats a good point.
To be fair bubbles I wouldn't swap The Queen or her direct line for anyone over here who fancies being , or is likely to be elected president. The US system is a stark warning of that.
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

Are the Jan 6th hearings available on anyone TV in the UK. ie free
Are many people watching if they are
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

TSmitty wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:18 pm Are the Jan 6th hearings available on anyone TV in the UK. ie free
Are many people watching if they are
They're on youtube so available to everyone worldwide.
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

They are available to everyone I know but I was thinking more about casual living room big TV general public types
not active go look for it types.
I was also interested in viewing stats for them. They might be available over there but I can't seem to see them from here