Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Re: Trump

Post by vietnammer »

A speech worthy of the election hustings LC (seriously, well-written!). Be Devil's Advocaat though, I think maybe us here are a tad too cynical about the USA at times. (say) after WW2 through to JFK I think many people in many countries saw the USA as the leader and beacon of a bright future for the world (o/s of the Communist regimes anyway), but it's not hard to see that it was a state of people with some attitudes that now seem shocking, e.g. among 'Democrats' like the Louisiana crackers. Whatever Trump's shortcomings as a leader, he's savvy enough to steer well clear of racism.
Think despite the neanderthal* element among his supporters, there's no way he'd ever make himself un-seatable.

* may be doing neanderthals a disservice here.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

He seriously is an egotistical prick on a level with Narcissus and Nero.

Even though the candidates he backed got rejected, Kari Lake is another vile specimen - nice to see her crash and burn, he's not taking the hint that more Americans are gradually turning away from his self serving nonsense.

Such is the madness of US politics, we are all now left with the option of hoping De Santis humiliates him in the Republican race.

I know Trump has a large grip on the GOP, but it isn't as tight now, surely those with half a brain will find the balls to turn on him now.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

vietnammer wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:31 am there's no way he'd ever make himself un-seatable.
He uses the Presidency to shield himself from answering for his crimes. He openly admires "strongman" dictators who have successfully circumnavigated their nations' election processes. He "joked" previously about staying on beyond two presidential terms and, of course, his "jokes" are never anything but means by which to test his base's appetite for this or that (he doesn't joke per se; he possesses no sense of humour beyond cruel, sadistic, down-punching cheap shots, typical of any sociopathic bully). To this day, he has never conceded defeat in an election he knew damn well he'd lost, and if his unlikely tilt at violent sedition had worked he'd have seized power by force there and then. He packs the justice department and the SCOTUS with people he believes to be cronies who owe him and who will pledge fealty to him as a consequence. He subverts, twists and outright ignores America's democratic processes at every turn. Not with guile or stealth, but blatantly and in full view.

If he can work out a way to turn the Presidency into a de facto monarchy behind which he can hide in perpetuity and which he can hand down to his idiot children like a birthright, he will do it, as sure as day follows night.

Hope I'm 100% wrong and you're 100% right, Viet. :newthumb:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Can think of a number of UK politicians that have shaped up similar in some of the ways you mention LC. Maybe not in the 'cheap shot, down punching' stakes, mind. My main objection to Trump has always been his sheer lack of class.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm looking forward to 4 more years of memes.

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

He's a self serving, boastful braggart who looks down on anyone weaker than him, and is only interested in making money and swaggering about. But I don't get all the mockery. After all, there's millions like him in the USA.

If the political system in America can allow someone like him to become President, I'd say blame the system rather than the individual.

Their Constitution and way of life allows the bigwigs in the States to tread all over the poor; millions of them now treat women as second class citizens who shouldn't have control over their bodies. Most ardently believe in the right to carry lethal weapons and to permit their use in a way that most civilised countries consider ridiculous.

Why is anyone surprised by anything Trump says or does? America is just reaping what it has sown.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

All the press seem to be mocking him & writing him off which is exactly what happened 7 years ago.

None of the Republicans wanted him first time around either then a year or two later they're all kissing his ring.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Rupert Murdoch's NY Post, previously staunch trump backers, announced the don's bid in the footer of their front page, saying...

The article associated with the announcement, buried in the back of the paper, is humorous too. Where's the love gone Rupert?

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Ivanka and Jared have quietly said that they will not campaign for trump again. Should be a fun Thanksgiving dinner.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

doesn't the party have to put him forth as their candidate first ?

he can run as an independent, but Shirley he can't run as a Republican if the party doesn't nominate him >

first of all and I stand to be edujamacated here, he has to win his party's endorsement to represent them in order to run BEFORE he gets on the ballot ?

now that he won't be the favourite of Fox News, it will be interesting to see if the likes of the conservative talk show hosts endorse him.

there's no Rush Limbaugh this time around....
Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

Didn't Pence consider campaigning as well ?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

The only positive I've had about him as a politician is that he went and said he was going to become President despite huge amounts of people mocking him for saying it. 1-0 Trump.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

My phone & laptop are now inundated with trump ads telling me to DONATE TO SAVE AMERICA.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Shabu wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:35 pm My phone & laptop are now inundated with trump ads telling me to DONATE TO SAVE AMERICA.
I wonder if Biden would know that's FOUR words..

:winker:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:55 pm I wonder if Biden would know that's FOUR words..

:winker:
Some days he would, some days he wouldn't.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:27 pmnow that he won't be the favourite of Fox News, it will be interesting to see if the likes of the conservative talk show hosts endorse him.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most of the mainstream right wing news sources in America only really fall behind Trump when it became apparent he would be the candidate that'd win, but I'm sure there was more support for Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz early on in the media.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

YorksHammer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:27 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most of the mainstream right wing news sources in America only really fall behind Trump when it became apparent he would be the candidate that'd win, but I'm sure there was more support for Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz early on in the media.
Yes. One or two were onboard but most Republicans and media were dead against him. He was either ridiculed or denounced.

Then suddenly they all loved him.

But now it's worse for him. They're not against him anymore, just nothing much really. Apathy.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Shabu wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:33 pm ...............

But now it's worse for him. They're not against him anymore, just nothing much really. Apathy.
Which is the worst case scenario for him. If they were dead against him he'd still be on their broadcasts and in their papers. Being ignored is a slow death for narcissists.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Supreme Court clears congressional commitee to see Trump's tax returns
The US Supreme Court has ordered former President Donald Trump's tax forms to be released to a Democratic-controlled congressional committee.

The move is a major blow to Mr Trump, who has tried for years to shield his tax returns from becoming public.

Mr Trump became the first president in 40 years not to release his taxes after announcing his first presidential run.

The House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee has been seeking access to Mr Trump's taxes since 2019.

Mr Trump, who launched his third campaign for the White House last week, is facing multiple investigations related to his business practices. He denies any wrongdoing.

Tuesday's ruling allows a lower court's order to stand, authorising the documents to be handed over to the committee.

It supersedes an order issued by Chief Justice John Roberts on 1 November that put the request on hold as the panel's nine judges deliberated.

The Supreme Court's brief response did not note dissent from any of the judges.

The decision clears the US treasury department to deliver Mr Trump's returns from 2013-18 for him and some of his businesses to the Democratic-controlled committee.

more...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

might just be the thing that will allow the Republicans to distance themselves from Trump without actually coming out and declaring it...