Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1465 likes
Total likes: 3153 likes

Re: Trump

Post by WCpete »

The predicted red wave hasn’t happened tonight. There are still some big swing states that are too close to call, but it’s clear that largely the GOP misjudged independents across the country.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Yup - looking ok-ish for the Dems and bad-ish for Trump.

Hold the line here then double down on legal action against the ****….and then go after Clarence Thomas an’all.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Very bad night for the don. DeSantis’s domination tonight gives him a mandate in the party, and by and large the candidates trump directly backed have lost badly. A lot of rats will be abandoning that ship for good, and some of the craziest among those rats may well decide to throw their hat into the ring instead of backing trump. Hawley, Cruz, Greene etc.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Still, it looks like the House is turning red which means 2 years of mayhem and retribution. Basically, a whole lot of nothing going to get done for another couple years.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2231 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Maybe one For our US correspondents….what’s the view on Biden’s next move if he does become lame duck President? Will he run for 2nd term in 24 (given his age etc.) ? Or is it case of laying the groundwork for a younger, more dynamic candidate to run? Or would he walk away now and hand over reigns to Harris? Bit extreme that last one probably!
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

Loftyhammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:26 amwhat’s the view on Biden’s next move if he does become lame duck President?
Wasn’t he already a bit Lame before becoming President. Falling asleep all over the place and forgetting the basic fundamentals of coherent speech ?
DublinDave
Has liked: 2749 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by DublinDave »

The Donald gently warning De Santis against running for president, (from BBC):

"I don't know if he is running. I think if he runs, he could hurt himself very badly. I really believe he could hurt himself badly," Mr Trump told Fox. "I don't think it would be good for the party."

If Mr DeSantis were to announce a presidential bid, Mr Trump said he would reveal "things about him that won't be very flattering - I know more about him than anybody - other than, perhaps, his wife".

Sounds like little Donald doesn't like other people trying to take his toys...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

To think they put that person in charge of the most powerful country in the world, and there is a fair chance they'll do it again.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

f*** off
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

So the Republicans got smashed in the midterms in 2018 because of Trump.
And then lost in 2020 because of Trump.
And seem to have missed expectations this time around because of Trump.

When is he due to declare for 2024?

OFT
Has liked: 3189 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

Loftyhammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:26 am Maybe one For our US correspondents….what’s the view on Biden’s next move if he does become lame duck President? Will he run for 2nd term in 24 (given his age etc.) ? Or is it case of laying the groundwork for a younger, more dynamic candidate to run? Or would he walk away now and hand over reigns to Harris? Bit extreme that last one probably!
Also for our US kumbers, (I may have asked this before I genuinely can't remember) If Biden 'stepped aside' or retired through ill health, is it correct that the vice president gets an extra year before the next Presidential election can be called? Or have I imagined that.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:30 am So the Republicans got smashed in the midterms in 2018 because of Trump.

Next Tuesday 15th.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

I do believe there will be demecrats out there who will be thinking about voting for the republicans but won't if if means voting for trump
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

I see BBC News have splashed a big "US ELECTION" banner across the home page with loads of info on some US election, like I am supposed to give a flying f***.

Why have our media become so nauseating when it comes to American elections of late? All I need to know is that there was an election and these were the results. Not "Tense scenes in West Dakota as run off between Mitch McChad and Chad McMitch goes down to the wire!!!1!!"
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:30 am So the Republicans got smashed in the midterms in 2018 because of Trump.

I'm not sure he will go for it in 2024 based on this. He suggested a big announcement the day before the election for next week, and it meant he could then take credit if there was the supposed 'red wave', but deliberately didn't announce he'd be running. With that 'wave' not emerging, he has nothing to take credit for and it's a sign that folks in the US are rejecting him/his politics - especially as there were a raft of candidates that built their campaigns off of election result denial and 'Trumpism'.

He's tested the waters, he'll now realise it's a losing battle, and throw in the towel on a 2024 attempt. It's not unlike Johnson here testing the waters but realising that he had nothing to gain and everything to lose by being PM again.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

If he thinks there's still money to be grifted from his oddbod rag-tag base of religious crackpots, race hate crackpots, conspiracy crackpots, dimwits and fucksticks - and there is - I reckon he'll form a splinter party and happily split the Republican vote. He has no political beliefs or ideals of his own so I just don't see him graciously passing the torch to DeSantis or any other GOP uo-and-comer. It's all just a grift for him. Grifty McGriftface.

Merely IMHO of course
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:02 pm I see BBC News have splashed a big "US ELECTION" banner across the home page with loads of info on some US election, like I am supposed to give a flying ****.

Why have our media become so nauseating when it comes to American elections of late? All I need to know is that there was an election and these were the results. Not "Tense scenes in West Dakota as run off between Mitch McChad and Chad McMitch goes down to the wire!!!1!!"
Better than our entertainment we served up V Palace.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:45 pm If he thinks there's still money to be grifted from his oddbod rag-tag base of religious crackpots, race hate crackpots, conspiracy crackpots, dimwits and fucksticks - and there is - I reckon he'll form a splinter party and happily split the Republican vote. He has no political beliefs or ideals of his own so I just don't see him graciously passing the torch to DeSantis or any other GOP uo-and-comer. It's all just a grift for him. Grifty McGriftface.

Merely IMHO of course
Of course, then he becomes the person that destroyed the political right in America. There's no way the Republicans get a President if Trump syphons off some of their voters, although a more centrist Republican party might claim some Democratic swing voters.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1965 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

imvho the Dems won't let Biden run again.....

AND...

Republicans severely underestimated the Roe vs. Wade decision.

several states even put the abortion issue on the ballots so I believe that they can implement their own ruling on the issue.

Kentucky has rejected a constitutional amendment that would have said there was no right to abortion.

The result here follows three other pro-choice victories in this year's midterm elections: Vermont, Michigan and California have all enshrined the right to abortion in their constitution.
Master Shake
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Master Shake »

OFT wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:36 am Also for our US kumbers, (I may have asked this before I genuinely can't remember) If Biden 'stepped aside' or retired through ill health, is it correct that the vice president gets an extra year before the next Presidential election can be called? Or have I imagined that.
No. Article 2 of the US Constitution provides that both President and VP hold a term of 4 years. The actual date of election is set by statute (and has been the same for a long time), so Congress could conceivably move the date, but I'd doubt that'd happen (especially if control of the chambers is split, which looks likely here).