Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Re: Trump

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:27 pm I don't think there's anyone over 30 in that pic. I wonder what "great" America it is they are pining for. Nothing's changed in this millennium plus a couple of decades.
Not sure how true this is, mate....

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I'm not talking specifically about political demography. I'm wondering what America they remember that isn't now like it was when they were kids. There isn't anything societally different in the US apart from people's abilities to broadcast their opinions to whomever they please.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:34 pm I'm not talking specifically about political demography. I'm wondering what America they remember that isn't now like it was when they were kids. There isn't anything societally different in the US apart from people's abilities to broadcast their opinions to whomever they please.
They watched the Wonder Years & Happy Days.

They know what's up :grin:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's why they love Elon so much. He's an African American after all.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Trump accused of multi-part conspiracy over 6 January attack
The congressional panel investigating last year's attack on the US Capitol has accused former President Donald Trump of a "multi-part conspiracy" to overturn his election defeat three months earlier.

The panel has released its final 845-page report on the attack.

It places the blame for the 6 January 2021 storming of Congress squarely on the former president.

It also recommends barring Mr Trump from public office in the future.

He did not co-operate with the panel and declared the final report a "witch hunt" after its release.

[six key findings]

1) Trump made false claims which aides told him were untrue
2) Trump's rhetoric brought rioters to Washington
3) Trump failed to act during the riot
4) Far-right groups planned - then acted
5) Trump tried to pressure his vice-president to overturn the results
6) Trump should be barred from holding public office

Will any of this hit a courtroom?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

What it does do is confirm what we all knew, that the man is a total ****

My favourite Trump reveal this week was that in 2015 he got paid $50,000 for a speech and claimed $45,000 in travel expenses against it.

Man of the people....
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

And yet 30% or so of the population still think he's the best president ever & is "fighting to save America" for them.

Totally f*cking bizarre.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Better than Lincoln.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

WCpete wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:11 pm Better than Lincoln.
And Boston, Spalding and Grantham.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

So...Next election is Nov 24 right? Assuming that's correct, this time next year would give us a real clear view on the runners and riders? Again, assuming that's correct-ish, anyone want to venture any predictions?

I've still got the feeling that the Reps will flood the candidate slate and Trump will end up last man standing. No idea on Dems though... I like Biden, but he's really showing his age now....and don't know enough about possible alternatives? But I think they might struggle if Biden stays on the ticket.

Obviously if I'm wrong on timings then feel free to completely ignore me :rofl:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:13 pm Will any of this hit a courtroom?
I suppose that for 6) to take place it would have to be done in court
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:12 am So...Next election is Nov 24 right? Assuming that's correct, this time next year would give us a real clear view on the runners and riders? Again, assuming that's correct-ish, anyone want to venture any predictions?

I've still got the feeling that the Reps will flood the candidate slate and Trump will end up last man standing. No idea on Dems though... I like Biden, but he's really showing his age now....and don't know enough about possible alternatives? But I think they might struggle if Biden stays on the ticket.

Obviously if I'm wrong on timings then feel free to completely ignore me :rofl:
I have a feeling it will be DeSantis v Newsom.

Florida v California.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Interesting article about the state of the Republican party (admittedly by former Democrat Robert Reich) and the part Trump has played in it's (forecasted) downfall. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... arty-loses
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:34 pm Interesting article about the state of the Republican party (admittedly by former Democrat Robert Reich) and the part Trump has played in it's (forecasted) downfall. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... arty-loses
Interesting article. I think it's a lot of wishful thinking in there. There will always be people with a liberal outlook & there will always be people with a conservative outlook. And a country does best when it listens to both sides.

The republicans problem is the messed up version of christianity here in America that it's aligned itself with. It's warped & completely out of touch with the modern world.

On a slightly related note at the bottom of the above article I saw this headline.

I teach yoga – its appropriation by the white wellness industry is a form of colonialism, but we can move on
Nadia Gilani

How the f*ck can you enjoy life if you go around thinking like this? And who would want to read an article with this as the headline? Talk about two sides of the same sh!tty coin.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Kevin McCarthy just failed to get enough votes to become Speaker of the House. MAGA have won the first round of the internal struggle for the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -congress/
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:54 pm Kevin McCarthy just failed to get enough votes to become Speaker of the House. MAGA have won the first round of the internal struggle for the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -congress/
I thought McCarthy was a trump ally. I can never keep up with these lot...
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Very much so. The MAGA politicians have mostly bailed on Trump. He's of no use to them anymore.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

McCarthy lost the 2nd rd of voting as well. Jim Jordan is now looking probable. And there is perhaps the greatest indicator of the state of this country that someone like Jim Jordan might be the chosen one.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:29 pm McCarthy lost the 2nd rd of voting as well. Jim Jordan is now looking probable. And there is perhaps the greatest indicator of the state of this country that someone like Jim Jordan might be the chosen one.
Doesn't Jordan also believe the election was stolen & supports the attack on the Capitol, the very building he works in :crossed:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Here's a photo of the Republican members during the votes.

An excellent representation of the melting pot that is America :lol: