Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Re: Trump

Post by Shabu »

old fart wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:39 pm BBC News - Donald Trump sued for fraud over family business
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62986812

Could it be expensive?
He'll either.....

A) get off with it

Or

B) use his high powered lawyers (paid for by his Save America PAC, which is funded by donations) to keep stalling until he dies or he gets reelected & pardons himself.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

old fart wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:39 pm BBC News - Donald Trump sued for fraud over family business
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62986812

Could it be expensive?
Yes, at least in regards to the family business that is the Trump Organization. This is a civil action, so lower burden of proof and taking the Fifth (which multiple family members already have done in front of the grand jury here) can be used against you. The specificity of the allegations made today is such that it is highly likely that NYS prosecutors have strong proof in hand. The charges also contain a criminal referral, so there are potentially much broader implications.

The big blow today was to the Trumper's ego, as it was made abundantly clear that his past net worth is only a fraction of what he's claimed. But to the true believers it won't make a difference, because their TV told them awhile ago that guy is a "successful billionaire". And even if his company goes bankrupt, he no doubt has plenty of money his bilked from his followers stashed away in various places, not to mention whatever largesse he enjoys from the mystery benefactors that have been underwriting his endeavors for the past 20+ years.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

True believers will buy whatever he sells them...

And so so sayeth the angel of god... so it must be true.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:19 am True believers will buy whatever he sells them...

And so so sayeth the angel of god... so it must be true.
"I'm not the racist. You're the racist."

"My poll numbers aren't bad. Your poll numbers are bad."

"I'm not a criminal. You're the criminal."

And his apologists all over the place:

Not a crime but if it is a crime the only victims are big banks.

Not fair to involve his children.

The poor little babies are 38, 40 and 44, all of who held executive positions in the Corporation.

Meanwhile, this evening in the 11th Circuit, a panel with 2 judges he appointed says Trump's classified scrapbook project still fair game:

BREAKING: Appeals Court panel *grants* DOJ request for a stay of parts of Judge Cannon’s ruling.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I hope so Adam. I hope so.

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

We’ll, there you have it. He’s off the hook.

bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 am We’ll, there you have it. He’s off the hook.
Even if he could (he couldn't when was President and he sure as hell can't now that he isn't) that doesn't mean he'd be allowed to keep the documents for himself.

Also, if this really was the case, why haven't his lawyers made any such assertion on his behalf on the record in court?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:32 am

Also, if this really was the case, why haven't his lawyers made any such assertion on his behalf on the record in court?
They thought about it.
<coat>
Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

At least his next term in office won't be boring.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

As an outsider, it seemed like it all was quite for ages, now things seemed to have heated up somewhat. Is that so, or not?

If it is, would that be Putin pulling the strings to take some heat off of what is going on in the Ukraine?
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3189 likes
Total likes: 2328 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:32 am Also, if this really was the case, why haven't his lawyers made any such assertion on his behalf on the record in court?
This pattern has repeated itself a few times now - the official Trump defence is so ludicrous that his lawyers can't state it out loud in court at risk of perjuring themselves and/or risking their ability to practise.

Most memorably the same thing happened with the challenges to the election when none of the "mountains of evidence" being discussed in press conferences or on Fox News ever actually made it in front of a judge.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Could KUMB's USA correspondents give an indication as to the chances of Trump actually ending up in a court of law? Physically in the dock?
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:25 am As an outsider, it seemed like it all was quite for ages, now things seemed to have heated up somewhat. Is that so, or not?

If it is, would that be Putin pulling the strings to take some heat off of what is going on in the Ukraine?
All part of the US Election cycle.

Presidential election every 4 years, local elections every two (I think).

And if you control the House AND Senate then the President doesn't actually seem of much use anymore in these very partisan days.

Elections coming up in November.

And this is a massive money making industry on its own. Lobbies, tv, politicians, businesses, all making money off this mid term stuff.

I was just reading the article below about how a Democrat PAC donated close to $1 million in tv ads for Right Wing anti abortion candidate so he would beat the moderate Right Wing candidate in the Primaries just so their chances of winning the end election is improved.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/ ... s-00058027
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 am Could KUMB's USA correspondents give an indication as to the chances of Trump actually ending up in a court of law? Physically in the dock?
Unlikely to be a perp walk, as he'd be quite sensitive to the implications of a photo op. If he's criminally charged, his attorneys would negotiate his surrender to authorities.

I also expect that if Trump is arrested that there will be some violence from his supporters. Probably not another armed hoard storming government buildings, but more than the isolated wing nut exercising his "freedumb".

If it gets really dicey, I can see him fleeing the jurisdiction.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:22 am This pattern has repeated itself a few times now - the official Trump defence is so ludicrous that his lawyers can't state it out loud in court at risk of perjuring themselves and/or risking their ability to practise.

Most memorably the same thing happened with the challenges to the election when none of the "mountains of evidence" being discussed in press conferences or on Fox News ever actually made it in front of a judge.
100%. There are those who back him who are still tethered to legitimacy. However, Trump himself and his core advisors have no such interest. They have shown on numerous occasions that their m.o. is to say anything, regardless of its truth, and then let the other side try to play catch up. As you mention, the sham election claims are a prime example. Not only did they lose every court case save one (a Pennsylvania case about the distance from which they could observe the ballot count) but the Trump attorneys had to affirm that they weren't challenging the results in their filing. Made no difference, just as long as they could blather about having 80-something cases filed they would be able to spin it as a disputed election.

Similar situation with Trump trying to get DOJ to back up his claim of election fraud. "Just say that there was fraud and we'll do the rest" was the instruction to federal law enforcement. It was both career DOJ employees and some of Trump's own appointees who said NFW are we going along with that. The guard rails held but not by much.

And you can also look at the Mueller investigation in this light. Then-AG Barr issued a proactive distorted "summary" of the findings that was a whitewash. This allowed Trump to falsely claim that he was exonerated and Barr was vague enough that he didn't jeopardize his own professional standing. Barr continues his balancing act by talking out of both sides of his mouth about the legal search of Mar-a-lago. He can't criticize a legitimately-issued federal warrant, but he will still provide Trump cover by questioning why the poor children were involved.

It is these enablers, the people who know better, who are in many ways worse than the core crazies of Trumpworld. They meekly go along with what they know to be unhinged and criminal activity out of fear of having the courage to stand up to a bully. Same folks who have been wrapping themselves in the flag for decades as the true defenders of democracy are allowing us to go to the brink.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:32 am Even if he could (he couldn't when was President and he sure as hell can't now that he isn't) that doesn't mean he'd be allowed to keep the documents for himself.

reasons
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:51 pm
It is these enablers, the people who know better, who are in many ways worse than the core crazies of Trumpworld. They meekly go along with what they know to be unhinged and criminal activity out of fear of having the courage to stand up to a bully. Same folks who have been wrapping themselves in the flag for decades as the true defenders of democracy are allowing us to go to the brink.
This could just as easily be posted practically word for word in the Putin thread.

America really is in trouble, isn't it?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Anyone tried to raise multi-million dollar sums against real estate before? Nah me either, but I’m pretty sure that you can’t self-cert them any more…if ever.

I’d like to know which financial instititions authorized these loans based on clearly ludicrous over-valuations…….and why? :chin:
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3189 likes
Total likes: 2328 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:59 am Anyone tried to raise multi-million dollar sums against real estate before? Nah me either, but I’m pretty sure that you can’t self-cert them any more…if ever.

I’d like to know which financial instititions authorized these loans based on clearly ludicrous over-valuations…….and why? :chin:
I think I read that Deutsche Bank were pretty much the only bank in the US still lending to him. And once you go down that rabbit hole and see all of the enormously dodgy stuff they've been linked to which overlaps with their financial backing of Trump... :zippy:

I remember reading this back in 2017:

https://www.newsweek.com/2017/12/29/don ... 53780.html
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Boom. :hush: :wink: