what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by BalaamBoy »

Was in the Dog & Duck in Soho at the weekend.

Very small and noisy, but the London Pride was delish !

Beer 8/10
Venue 6/10
Experience - 9/10, just because it's the first time I've had a beer on the pavement in Soho (or anywhere) with my mates for absolutely ages, and it was a very welcome and pleasant return.
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by E15Iron »

BalaamBoy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 pm Was in the Dog & Duck in Soho at the weekend.

Very small and noisy, but the London Pride was delish !

Beer 8/10
Venue 6/10
Experience - 9/10, just because it's the first time I've had a beer on the pavement in Soho (or anywhere) with my mates for absolutely ages, and it was a very welcome and pleasant return.
The stairs to the toilets there are nuts! Feel like you need to abseil down after a few!
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Eastcote »

The Boat House St Aubin Jersey. On the front says exciting views but looking over a muddy harbour is not a exciting view. 5/10. Amstel meh Mrs on Dry Martini and tonic says tonic is nice so 6/10 but then £11.68 for both......
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

The Seymour Arms at Witham Friary, Somerset.

After a seven mile saunter through the fabulous Somerset countryside, me & Mrs J & a couple of friends settled are bottoms down in the beer garden of the Seymour Arms for an afternoon of frivolous drinking.

The pub wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea but for me it’s one of those very special places.

It’s an absolute time warp. It’s been owned by the same family since the 1940’s and with the exception of indoor toilets being added in the 1980’s hasn’t been modernised or even redecorated in all that time. Orders are taken through a serving hatch, fetched from the ground floor cellar before being brought back to the serving hatch. There is no bar as such. Depending on the size of round, it can take a good while. You can get a game of darts and a game of bar billiards. All the rooms still have nicotine stained ceilings which I find rather comforting.

They don’t serve food but you can get fish & chips from the mobile van which rocks up at 8pm on weekends.

I’m uncertain if it’s a profitable business as the owner is an HGV driver by day. The prices are stupidly cheap. A rough cider served direct from the barrel will set you back £2.10 a pint. A round of two rum & cokes, a pint of Guinness and two packets of crisps was £8.45. Unfortunately therein lay a problem insomuch as we all got too pissed to walk home. Not an issue in rural Somerset because the friendly landlady drove us all back into town after we failed to find a taxi. The charge for this ..... £0.00

10/10 Great day out for all.

A bonus mark for the two dippers & a woodpecker we saw from the beer garden.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Blimey Jennings, sounds like my perfect place
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

The Pig’s Nose Inn, East Prawle.

This is a queer old pub; used to be a smugglers hideaway & inn where booty was hidden during the 1700’s, later became a tiny hotel in the Victorian era before being converted to a petrol station in the 1950’s.

These days it’s a very popular pub for locals & holiday makers alike. Whilst it serves good quality ‘pub food’ using locally sourced ingredients, it really is quite edgy & retains a common touch.

It’s located slap bang in the middle of the village, right opposite the green. Ten or so minutes walk from the South Devon coastline & beautiful secluded coves.

I didn’t rate the beer much, Otter Ale from Otter Breweries, at 3.6abv it’s too weak for my liking & served straight from a barrel without a cooling jacket it was way too warm.... and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like cold beer.

I’d rate the food 7/10 & the beer 4/10.

The evening and the experience however was a 10/10.

As I said the pub is quite edgy, probably because of the landlord’s links to the music industry (The Animals, Boomtown Rats, Atomic Kitten, Damon Albarn, Dub Pistols & hundreds of others have all played gigs there).

What started out with one of the locals putting a few dance numbers on the duke box at around 9pm - turned into a full blown rave by the time the landlord got on the mixing decks & told everyone to clear the tables away.

It was outrageously good fun. Probably enhanced by some mushroom brownies a friend had passed round earlier in the evening. Ho hum.
r99c
Has liked: 708 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

Boleyn Tavern - yesterday

Tables, walls, doors, floor, fittings etc - everything felt extremely clean. The decor is unbelievable, up there with any pub I have been to. Particularly liked the world map they have. The back room has had a refit and now has checkerboard flooring with tables and the kitchen is contained in there. Shame about the lack of pool tables but hey ho. They have done an absolutely terrific job - even had a nice outdoor seating area.

Beer - An extremely good selection of stuff on tap, Krombacher, Litovel Premium, other good stuff, not just the usual **** that you get in Greene King pubs in the West End.

Shame about the area the pub is in, but this brings in characters. I even had a dance with some Caribbean geezer who was in his 70s and some other degenerate looking guy, it was class.

9/10 - knocked off a point for area and obviously lack of actual beer garden but cannot fault the whole interior.
Tophammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Tophammer »

Mayflower in Rotherhithe

My first visit to this pub on Saturday, quite possibly the best pub in London. Great view onto the Thames too.

8.5/10 - strong selection of beers/ales. Worth a visit if in the area.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Eagle

Cambridge.

Didnt realise how famous this boozer is. Frequented by Francis Crick and James Watson- they discovered the DNA double helix structure.

Also paid a visit to the RAF Bar out back of The Eagle where British and American pilots have adorned the walls and ceiling with their names and squadron numbers over a number of years.

10/10
Goldie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Goldie »

The Coachmakers Arms W1 yesterday. Superb roast lunch - including a couple of pint of Deya Steady Rolling Man - never had before & was delicious .
Super location & service - however, eyewateringly expensive.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Was in Hertford on Friday, meeting an old mate.
Couldn't believe how buzzing and busy the pubs were. It was like going back a few decades. And the cheapest place,but a lively afternoon evening out.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Battle-axes, Borehamwood or elstree ,I get confused. Bit foody,but a decent pint.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

One over the Ait, Kew.

Lovely pub by the river, friendly welcome.

Fullers pub, so that's what you are getting.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I always liked Fullers pubs. I’d drink London Pride.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

I was in a Fuller's pub this evening. The Windjammer by The Royal Docks.
It's a new pub and is well looked after but is more like a restaurant then a pub. Bizarrely though for a Fuller's pub, they had no beer on a hand pub, normally they have Pride but I was informed it had run out two days ago, which I have to say is pretty poor.
Nice view over the Thames and the barrier though.
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

The Steam Packet Chiswick 250 yards from Kew Bridge Station before Sundays game. Sunny day,Riverside, balcony, decent ales. Expensive but nobody seems to bat an eyelid these days. Oh,and nobody yelling "Irons" in your earhole every 10 minutes. God I'm so middle class these days! :crylol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Centurion, Lincoln. 4 pints of decent London pride.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

r99c wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:51 pm Boleyn Tavern - yesterday

Tables, walls, doors, floor, fittings etc - everything felt extremely clean. The decor is unbelievable, up there with any pub I have been to. Particularly liked the world map they have. The back room has had a refit and now has checkerboard flooring with tables and the kitchen is contained in there. Shame about the lack of pool tables but hey ho. They have done an absolutely terrific job - even had a nice outdoor seating area.

Beer - An extremely good selection of stuff on tap, Krombacher, Litovel Premium, other good stuff, not just the usual **** that you get in Greene King pubs in the West End.

Shame about the area the pub is in, but this brings in characters. I even had a dance with some Caribbean geezer who was in his 70s and some other degenerate looking guy, it was class.

9/10 - knocked off a point for area and obviously lack of actual beer garden but cannot fault the whole interior.
Last time I was there I got cracked on the side of the head and ear when everyone used to go crazy singing West Ham songs and chucking plastic pint glasses in the air.

Must’ve been 2/3 of a pint of lager as it flew through the air and smashed me!!!

Crazy pub, always preferred The Queens for a lager on match days.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Could never stand the Boleyn ,it’s been ponced up now for the clientele in the new builds.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Elephant and Castle,
Woolwich
Was here yesterday.
A proper old school down at heel boozer.
No real ale on draught ,but i quite enjoyed it.