what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by prophet:marginal »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:28 am Is that the 'flatiron' looking boozer?
I think so, yes; it is across the road from the station of the same name.

Really nice interior, too.
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

The Sun Waterbeach just outside Cambridge. Chocolate Stout ,Snowflake Amber ale and the usual Xmas fare. No good King Senseless this year after last year! Then 4 brummies walked in said they were on worlds longest pub crawl,started in 1984. We were the 21,471 pub visited,had 4 halfs and left.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

cambridge hammer wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:44 am Then 4 brummies walked in ...... had 4 halfs and left.
Lightweights :smiler:

Good on 'em. But surely you do a pint per pub?
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

Didn't ask. Seemed really nice blokes ,one designated driver. Said their antics were available on you tube
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Pilot at Dungeness. Had a couple of perfectly poured Guinness, and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. Didn't sample the grub, but will take Mrs DL down there and try their fresh locally caught fish.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:16 pm The Pilot at Dungeness. Had a couple of perfectly poured Guinness, and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. Didn't sample the grub, but will take Mrs DL down there and try their fresh locally caught fish.
I thought you were tee total for some reason. Pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself, DL
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The Red Lion, Billericay High Street.

Used to be the classiest boozer on the High Street (that's a pretty low bar tbf) but now just a pub. Pretty low on custom but did a fair pint of Estrella for which I consumed several.

Should have gone to the Coach & Horses behind the High St, due to it being owned by a WH ST holder, but they had a darts match in their and it was rammo.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Not yesterday, but earlier this month - The Boleyn for the first time since the last season at UP.

They’ve done a great job. The place looks fantastic although seeing the kitchen at the back of the back room where the pool table used to be took a little getting used to.

Was blown away by how many beers they had on tap. Must have been a couple of dozen. Some really good Czech lagers - most of which I’d never heard of. Fish and chips excellent too.

The Black Lion hasn’t changed either which is more good news. :newthumb:
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm
Haven't been there for a couple of seasons, but a wonderful pub.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 pm I thought you were tee total for some reason. Pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself, DL
I have the very rare alcoholic beverage when I fancy one - not because of the alcohol, but because I fancied the taste and sensation of a pint of the silky black stuff go down my gullet :grin:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Might try and get in there for the Leeds cup game. :newthumb:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Centurion, North Hykeham

Four pints of Estrella with a mate. It was loud and full of under 25's for a while but it quitened out when they went so we could have a good chat. Comfortable, clean, great bogs. Prices a bit on the high side and the Landlady is a miserable cow, compared to her very helpful and efficent barman husband.

My mate wanted a coke to go with his rum and it cost me £2.35 for a bottle. That's pisstaking esepcially as a rum and coke (from the tap) comes to £3.25!
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

A little pub crawl in Greenwich yesterday with some mates.

The Gypsy Moth. Tourist trap with snotty staff. Nice building but warmth not the order of the day 3/10
The Yacht. Greene King pub which is always a sign of mediocrity. Reasonable place but poor service again 4/10
The Trafalgar Tavern. Can’t help but like this place. It’s the river views that win it for me. Spacious, warm and unprecedented views. 7/10
The Old Brewery. Friendly staff, good beer. Suicidal chairs. But the rest of the clientele were snotty and aloof. 5/10

I like the area, the views, but seriously the Covid break has seen staff lose all customer service skills and the majority of people frequenting the hostelries honing their hipster style horrible attitudes. Thankfully the beer was good and the company I was with exceptional
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Rio wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:47 pm A little pub crawl in Greenwich yesterday with some mates.

The Gypsy Moth. Tourist trap with snotty staff. Nice building but warmth not the order of the day 3/10
The Yacht. Greene King pub which is always a sign of mediocrity. Reasonable place but poor service again 4/10
The Trafalgar Tavern. Can’t help but like this place. It’s the river views that win it for me. Spacious, warm and unprecedented views. 7/10
The Old Brewery. Friendly staff, good beer. Suicidal chairs. But the rest of the clientele were snotty and aloof. 5/10

I like the area, the views, but seriously the Covid break has seen staff lose all customer service skills and the majority of people frequenting the hostelries honing their hipster style horrible attitudes. Thankfully the beer was good and the company I was with exceptional
The Trafalgar is one of my favourite pubs in London, despite being that side of the water. It's a bit of a walk further east but the Cutty Sark has also got some lovely views. There are some other good boozers heading back up towards Blackheath.

I also agree that customer services standards in pubs, bars, and restaurants have dropped dramatically, but I also think that customers have become a little more shitty.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rio wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:47 pm

I used to absolutely love the Yacht. I'm a South East Londoner and Greenwich was one of our places back in the day and the Yacht was the best of the lot. There was a Forest fan running it and often you'd get nights where one side of the pub was West Ham and the other Millwall. Fun times. It was originally ruined when they put the extension on, thirty odd years ago which destroyed what was a sweet, little garden and took away the intimacy of the place. Just another big pub.

Anyway, my pub of the day - The George in Trottiscliffe (weirdly pronounced Trossley), Kent a few miles from where we live. Lovely old pub in a beautiful little village. A nice pint of Cornish Rattler and one of it's brilliant steak pies for dn-dins. (All four of us had the steak pie which tells you how good it is). A lovely pub to spend a couple of hours outside on what's been an almost spring-like day around here.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

LittleChris wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:03 pm Pack Horse Inn just outside New Mills in the Peak District. Couple of pints of Hobgoblin Gold which was pleasant (8/10). Didn't realise until too late that they had 3 local brews but in bottles rather than draught. Lovely place to stay too
Smashing little place! Excellent grub.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm Not yesterday, but earlier this month - The Boleyn for the first time since the last season at UP.

They’ve done a great job. The place looks fantastic although seeing the kitchen at the back of the back room where the pool table used to be took a little getting used to.

Was blown away by how many beers they had on tap. Must have been a couple of dozen. Some really good Czech lagers - most of which I’d never heard of. Fish and chips excellent too.

The Boleyn was my stop off when I went to The Lord Stanley from the house in East Ham. The San Miguel in there was exceptional. This was circa 2019.

It was often quiet but the few regulars were great guys. The bar staff too. I’ll give it a try when I next visit Newham.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:35 pm I'm a South East Londoner
Ah, now I get it.
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

Can anyone recommend any Hammers-friendly (or at least tolerant) pubs in Sheffield where I can watch the game on Thursday? A Wednesday pub I suppose.

And while you’re at it, a good Indian please!

We’re at the snooker during the afternoon, so the closer to the Crucible the better.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2618 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Did one of those Brewdog beer experiences at their pub in Oxford at the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought, decent atmosphere in there and sampled quite a few decent ales which were all kept really well.

They’ve just opened a new one nearby, so may have to visit it.