Sitting next to/near someone that annoys you...

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Sitting next to/near someone that annoys you...

Post by antony »

Pretty much everyone I know over the Boleyn sits near someone that gets on their nerves for one reason or another & one of the great things with the move is that they never have to listen to them spout their nonsense for 90 minutes every other week. However what if it is better the devil you know?

What if you get there on day 1 and find yourself sitting next to/in front of/behind an absolute idiot? I'm thinking someone who spends 90 minutes slagging off all of our players, appears to have tourettes, smells, goes to the toilet 7 times a half because they can't handle their beer, has an irritating voice, spits when they shout, kicks the back of your chair, What if it's Noel Edmonds/Russell Brand/someone from towie? etc (add others/delete as applicable)

What will you do in these circumstances?! Do you have a word? Do you try to get your seat moved? Do you sit tight for a year and then try to get your seat moved? Do you sit tight forever more and hope you either learn to tolerate the idiot or that they will stop going/die (i'm not advocating murder)!? Do you try to irritate them even more than they irritate you in the hope that they will move themselves?!

This is my biggest concern with the whole move and i'm fully expecting to roll up on day 1 and find myself sitting next to the West Ham equivalent of Joe Pasquale. I always find the early cup rounds the worst when some of the regulars don't go and are replaced by someone who doesn't understand the rules of the game, so it seems to me that this is quite likely given the fact that 'new' fans will be coming to fill the stadium.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Sitting next to/near someone that annoys you...

Post by AlfieG »

Relax!

How do you know any of these types you described there would be happy sitting next to you.

Chill and have a positive attitude towards your fellow supporters and who knows, you may even find one you like..... :wink:
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

That's not really the point though is it? If I annoy them they would be in the same boat as I would be with someone that annoys me, so the question becomes pertinent to them. What would they do if they were stuck next to me?

I'm not particularly negative, it just seems to me that in all walks of life you encounter people that annoy you and for the most part you can choose to steer clear of them. You cannot however if they are sitting next to you and having a negative impact on something you enjoy (and pay a lot of money for).

I've a pretty good tolerance level for idiotic behaviour, so i'm interested in knowing how other people would deal with this sort of scenario.
Gep

Post by Gep »

There's a fella down my row who during games has to pass me at least 4 times every time to use the loo. I'm used to it now, so just crack on. What I find rather odd is his seat is nearer the left hand side exit stairs yet chooses to walk all along our row to use the one next to me. :shock:
Beefy's mum

Post by Beefy's mum »

Got a bloke and his son who sit behind me in the TBU who talk utter shi-ite to each other throughout the whole game, think they must both be deaf as they feel the need to speak so loudly that not only can they hear each other but so can all of those around too. Be glad to be away from them. Sure they'll be some equally annoying people close to me at the OS too though.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

My first season in the BML, when it had just opened to home fans, I had an old boy and a younger lad next to me, as far as I could tell just randomly there rather than related or friends, who used to spend the whole game talking about women's tennis results and bus routes. They only lasted one season.

For the last dozen or so though there has been another old boy behind me who I have never heard celebrate a goal, and rarely has a good word to say about any player except Hayden Mullins who he adored. It's actually unintentionally quite funny some of the things he comes out with, but I live with it. I was delighted though to hear he's moving to the upper tier in the OS as he has a +1 coming. Therefore I'm 100% supportive of this +1 policy :)
davek26962
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by davek26962 »

I think we all sit next to or near someone who is very irritating. If any of you think, well I don't, I have to tell you that you probably are that person :)
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

BML, one bloke who spends the entire game spouting the same sh*t one liners (amazes me how every week it's exactly the same, word for word)
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

There's a real annoying goblin behind me in Chav Corner, spends the entire match whinging like a child and referring to the players by their first name. I think he's a closet Arsenal fan.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

I once sat in the Alpari stand geez everyone around me annoyed me
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

I found the original post very funny, I'm assuming it was tongue in cheek. certainly recognised someone, if not all, of the various repulsive characters. I'm in the second row of a group of nine so unless their is an utter cockwomble behind me then should be fine. Don't know how I will find going from standing in the bml to sitting in the west upper
upminstercraig

Post by upminstercraig »

Used to have a bloke in the same row as me get up every 10 minutes to go & powder his nose, that was annoying, I mean he never even offered me some!!!!
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

you need to come and sit with us...^

lol

however, in all seriousness, that has to be a concern in terms of annoyance factor. I've had the same seat for about 8 years now having moved a few times and the people around us are top notch. when we move, there are 86 of us seated together in a big block. god help the stewards, although most of us are getting old..... :wink:
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

The fella directly in front of me in Chav Corner, goes absolutely ape-**** usually around twenty minutes into a game, screaming like a ****ing child if we misplace a pass (regardless of the score)... Has become something of an on-going joke as to what minute he will snap!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Gep wrote:There's a fella down my row who during games has to pass me at least 4 times every time to use the loo. I'm used to it now, so just crack on. What I find rather odd is his seat is nearer the left hand side exit stairs yet chooses to walk all along our row to use the one next to me. :shock:
I walk past this hunk 4 times during a game and i always give him the eye - not once has he joined me in the loos for a bit of bum fun
alank2006

Post by alank2006 »

antony wrote:Pretty much everyone I know over the Boleyn sits near someone that gets on their nerves for one reason or another & one of the great things with the move is that they never have to listen to them spout their nonsense for 90 minutes every other week. However what if it is better the devil you know?

What if you get there on day 1 and find yourself sitting next to/in front of/behind an absolute idiot? I'm thinking someone who spends 90 minutes slagging off all of our players, appears to have tourettes, smells, goes to the toilet 7 times a half because they can't handle their beer, has an irritating voice, spits when they shout, kicks the back of your chair, What if it's Noel Edmonds/Russell Brand/someone from towie? etc (add others/delete as applicable)

What will you do in these circumstances?! Do you have a word? Do you try to get your seat moved? Do you sit tight for a year and then try to get your seat moved? Do you sit tight forever more and hope you either learn to tolerate the idiot or that they will stop going/die (i'm not advocating murder)!? Do you try to irritate them even more than they irritate you in the hope that they will move themselves?!

This is my biggest concern with the whole move and i'm fully expecting to roll up on day 1 and find myself sitting next to the West Ham equivalent of Joe Pasquale. I always find the early cup rounds the worst when some of the regulars don't go and are replaced by someone who doesn't understand the rules of the game, so it seems to me that this is quite likely given the fact that 'new' fans will be coming to fill the stadium.
Super post! I think this has happened to me at every home end I've ever been in.

Never really notice it in with the away fans though.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Got a guy who sits behind me in the Alpari Lower who's vocabulary extends to two phrases...

Come On! and Go On!

If we are on the attack it's a more "go on, go on, go on" and then we waste the chance or miss it turns into "Aw Come on!"

When we are defending, it's "Come on!" then as we clear and we need to push up it's "Go On, Go On!"

Does it for the whole 90 minutes.

His voice is also one octave higher than everyone else's so it's perfectly audible.... So ****ing annoying!
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Got a young, quite posh bloke near us stand with his arms folded the whole game just nods when we score but the rest of the game tries to pick out any little negative!

Few seats along from him is a massive coke addict, talks utter crap, tries waving at people often that aren't there and looks towards the away fans giving it large although being nowhere near them. Worst thing is he comes with his Dad!!

But around where i sit i've got a lovely family, a nice couple who recently had a kid, a few youngsters who actually like talking football instead of thinking they're on the set of a Nick Love film!

The good outweighs the bad and gonna miss sitting where i do!
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

trick88 wrote:Got a young, quite posh bloke near us stand with his arms folded the whole game just nods when we score but the rest of the game tries to pick out any little negative!

Few seats along from him is a massive coke addict, talks utter crap, tries waving at people often that aren't there and looks towards the away fans giving it large although being nowhere near them. Worst thing is he comes with his Dad!!

But around where i sit i've got a lovely family, a nice couple who recently had a kid, a few youngsters who actually like talking football instead of thinking they're on the set of a Nick Love film!

The good outweighs the bad and gonna miss sitting where i do!
This in the STBL? around seats 140-150?
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Haha nah mate west lower, the last block before STBL, must be more common than i thought :D