Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by johnnyb »

Phil S wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:02 pm It really bothers me that in this case it hit the 61 year old but how close was this to hitting his wife or kid?

If you throw something does it not bother you that you'll likely hit an innocent?
These morons have no shame or remorse. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more pissed and/or coked up thickos at the LS than ever.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Prob wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:06 pm Talking about drinking inside a ground

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63595687

While it is Rugby and Wales don't think it helps the case for football at all.
By not being able to drink in the stands, coupled with the really expensive drinks at the LS, everyone gets tanked up on cheap beers from off licenses before the game. If anything I think treating fans like adults and not animals would improve the behaviour in the stadium.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Drinking areas and non-drinking areas. Doesn't seem an especially difficult thing to work out does it?
Resident
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Resident »

Phil S wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:23 pm From the other side of the wall by the sounds of it

Pathetic behaviour
Sounds a quiet night for the police.

1 person injured. 4 arrested for throwing things around.

2 racial abuse arrests and only 2 caught with drugs on them.

Wow. Sounds like normal Saturday night in every pub in London st least with about 500 in attendance.

I reckon football policing today is the easy job rather than Saturday nights on the town.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

So where have those hundred thousand tickets gone or was it just another fabrication? I would have thought Sir Robin Wales would have been fighting a bit harder for his electorate :chin:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:13 pm So where have those hundred thousand tickets gone or was it just another fabrication? I would have thought Sir Robin Wales would have been fighting a bit harder for his electorate :chin:
Sir Robin has long gone and so have the tickets.
No idea how many were given to Newham residents but the figure is very low.
Newham residents (me) should feel particularly aggrieved following the £40 million (from memory) investment from the local council tax payers where they saw zero return and the debt was subsequently written off.
I've no idea either if Sir Robin still sits in one of the boxes, a perk of the job apparently.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Shortlisted for the 2028 Euros bid. There's owners & operators of some very good actual football grounds that should be very annoyed by this :crylol:

Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

mushy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:00 am Sir Robin has long gone and so have the tickets.
No idea how many were given to Newham residents but the figure is very low.
Newham residents (me) should feel particularly aggrieved following the £40 million (from memory) investment from the local council tax payers where they saw zero return and the debt was subsequently written off.
I've no idea either if Sir Robin still sits in one of the boxes, a perk of the job apparently.
Mushy, maybe you could ask your local councillor why, after losing £40 million on their investment, Newham Council are the only council in London where there is a large football stadium that doesn’t issue street trading licenses to vendors that sell football merchandise?
I’m not suggesting that the money raised could ever offset the multi million £ loss but I’m fairly positive that a positive in the accounts is preferable to a large negative.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Hammer.CA wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:22 am Mushy, maybe you could ask your local councillor why, after losing £40 million on their investment, Newham Council are the only council in London where there is a large football stadium that doesn’t issue street trading licenses to vendors that sell football merchandise?
I’m not suggesting that the money raised could ever offset the multi million £ loss but I’m fairly positive that a positive in the accounts is preferable to a large negative.
Do they actually have the right to issue street trading licences though?
I thought the streets around the London Stadium were nothing to do with Newham council.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Mushy, I’m not talking about private land that is owned by Westfield, there are plenty of other places that are under control by Newham Council, they point blank refuse to issue any street trading licenses, unlike the councils that cover Wembley, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, QPR and Charlton.
Newham issued the licenses when we were at Upton Park, quite a few but they mysteriously stopped after the move to the LS.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:38 am Shortlisted for the 2028 Euros bid. There's owners & operators of some very good actual football grounds that should be very annoyed by this :crylol:
They are due to cut that list of 14 down to 10.

I can't see them having 3 stadia in London & naturally ours will be cut instead of Spurs + Wembley.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

If they wanted to have a proper fan zone and more of a vibe before and after the game our stadium would be miles better than the Spud ground.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:58 am If they wanted to have a proper fan zone and more of a vibe before and after the game our stadium would be miles better than the Spud ground.
Which is generally what UEFA want, they want as much of the fans money as possible, which is something that the Premier League top clubs would have if they could, it’s certainly been discussed by some of them.
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Hammer CA.

Hammers United both independently and through the ISc have been trying for years now to get independent street traders on the approaches to the Stadium.This one of the areas most highly prioritised by supporters completing our survey.I remember going to the area surrounding the stadium with a lady from POI.taking photos and mapping out and identifying potential sites.There are it seems for some reason or another restrictions that do seem to exist at other London football grounds-I think the terminology may be that it is a 'sterile' zone.I do believe there is a fanzone now outside the supporters club and we have forwarded sellers contact details to the Supporters Club.
There is of course an agreement in place between the Stadium people and the club .I dont know the legal jargon but the gist of it is that sellers cannot sell West Ham United branded merchandise .
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Like I said, there are areas away from the stadium footprint where Newham Council could issue street trading licenses, land that they have full control over, they choose not to for reasons known only to themselves.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

how about an area outside the off licence on the carpenters estate. not even in view of the bowl. would boost the economy and provide a nice off the road area for vendors
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:12 pm how about an area outside the off licence on the carpenters estate. not even in view of the bowl. would boost the economy and provide a nice off the road area for vendors
Lol that's never happening. Chav square will always be ours.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

ha ha. however there must be similar areas around the bowl on the way in that the council could test with vendor permits
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:16 pm ha ha. however there must be similar areas around the bowl on the way in that the council could test with vendor permits
It’s been tried, refused.
Newham Council are on of the poorest, if not the poorest, councils in the country and councils are always looking for ways to increase their revenue but for some inexplicable reason Newham won’t entertain the idea, whereas Brent Council issue a number of licenses for the council premier stadium in England, Wembley, same as at Chelsea et al.
It’s an absolute mystery why that is.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Meanwhile a lot of unlicensed merchandise is being produced on a regular basis which is being sold around the bowl. Newham do not have the resources to enforce their own rules anymore.