Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by the pink palermo »

Mullhull wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 am

A renegotiated deal giving West Ham more power and control of the stadium with a percentage of profits going to Newham would benefit them more than the current deal. Brady is confident that she can get £2m a year for naming rights. That would in theory put the stadium turning a profit.

Nope, it wouldn't.

Not even close.

However, the naming rights could be a good deal higher than your figure, which Brady knows, but I see little prospect of the club handing over too much money to solve the taxpayers problem.

Have a read of the Moore Stephens report, it illustrates clearly the gross over estimation of additional income streams in every business case scenario they examined.

The economics of a kindergarten.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

When you say it’s not our stadium - what about the personalised bricks outside the ground?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:15 am When you say it’s not our stadium - what about the personalised bricks outside the ground?
I wouldn’t know, message on mine has been washed away.
GPP
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by GPP »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 am I wouldn’t know, message on mine has been washed away.
Same. Whoever chose the materials used was a moron. Or more likely, was told the selected products were too expensive and instructed to use the cheaper option that would not have the required design life.

What are the stupid ****ers who paid for one going to do about it years after having had their money taken?

(I’m one of those stupid ****ers. Or my dad was I can’t remember now)
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

The bricks did little to cement broken relations between the club hierarchy and fans. Wearing away and hard to find, especially when thousands of people are walking over them, or they plonk a programme stand above them.

The Founders Walls. Another poorly executed exercise. How many original season ticket holders at the time of the move have seen their name or know where to look? It's not easy.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:35 am The Founders Walls. Another poorly executed exercise. How many original season ticket holders at the time of the move have seen their name or know where to look? It's not easy.
The Founders .

Just about the most offensive thing about the move.

Our entire history, the trophies, the legends, washed away with a marketing soundbite.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

WebmasterFF wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:58 am I'm not sure about renegotiating any deal - it's vastly in our favour for the rent with significant tax payers costs for stewarding, stadium conversion and even little things like foals/corner flags (made even worse as the Conference League matches are effectively free for us as the competition didn't exist when the contract was written) which is half the problem in the first place. The second issue is that the last promise we made to Newham, 100,000 tickets a year to Borough Residents, has not been held up (https://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/2 ... am-people/ for info). That makes it very unlikely for any deal with the Council until a regime change as Brady cannot be trusted.
The Europa Conference isn't free for us, it's the same as any other match. Whilst we don't pay an extra performance payment for participating in the Conference League unlike the Europa, any such matches do come out of the annual 25 match allowance included in the rent.

Qualifying for the Europa League meant that we paid an extra £125,000 performance payment the previous season. We still paid an extra £262,000 league position payment for finishing 7th last year. We also didn't pay any extra last season for playing more than 25 matches, as although we played 28 matches at the Stadium, we can carry forward any unused ones from the previous 4 seasons.

Our rental payments are still less than the stadium operating costs we incurred at The Boleyn. If we get relegated our rent halves and 30 matches a season are included in the rent. Could the police costs for playing Millwall bankrupt the LLDC and Newham?

As pointed out in the Newham Recorder article, the provision of 100,000 tickets is very vague so no wonder that much more isn't heard about it now. The 100,000 tickets don't apply just for us - they are up to 100,000 event tickets that applies across all professional sport and music events held there. The Recorder says that 'up to' could imply 'zilch'. Athletics is not included as Newham residents also get to use the stadium for 10 days a year for athletics programs and 10 days a year for community events.

And Brady cannot be trusted.
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:13 am Nope, it wouldn't.

Not even close.

However, the naming rights could be a good deal higher than your figure, which Brady knows, but I see little prospect of the club handing over too much money to solve the taxpayers problem.

Have a read of the Moore Stephens report, it illustrates clearly the gross over estimation of additional income streams in every business case scenario they examined.

The economics of a kindergarten.
I'm only basing that off the figures reported in articles.

I'll have a read of the Moore Stephens report. LLDC have maintained £4m a year in naming rights is achievable yet it's been how many years now? and we have nothing.

My only guess is our next shirt sponsorship deal will come with naming rights bundled in ala Arsenal... and we all know Brady loves Arsenal!
Wembley1966

Post by Wembley1966 »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:58 am Does they away end have safe standing implemented? I saw a few pictures on twitter of the away end and it looks like it has the safe standing rails?

If it is the case why on earth has it not happened in the home ends?
It got fitted last season:
https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2021/11/16/london-stadium-safe-standing-system-fitted/

They did it in the away end as it's not so easy to threaten away fans with sanctions if they don't sit down - as per letters written to home fans for standing.

Home ends - probably arguing for the next few years over who pays for it to be installed.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

^^^ The away fans have safe standing but only in the upper tier. I also think we have some in the home end upper tier next to the away fans (block 223/224 ish?)

There is no provision for safe standing in the lower tiers at the Brady bowl.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64795737

yet more money in the Spurs coffers...

Tottenham Hotspur to build karting track under stadium as part of F1 partnership

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said: "Since building this stadium our ambition has always been to see how far we can push the boundaries in delivering world-class experiences that will attract people from around the world all year round."

He added: "We have been able to bring the biggest names in sport and entertainment to London N17. We are extremely excited about what this long-term partnership with F1 will bring for our global, national and local communities."

:swear:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

They'll do anything to try and win a title in something. Maybe they should go in to partnership with Tiddlywinks too..

*not to be confused with Harry Winks
Wembley1966

Post by Wembley1966 »

Stamford Bridge special: Chelsea’s £1.5bn stadium decision

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/03/02/stamford-bridge-special-chelsea-stadium-decision-boehly/

Exclusive: A complete rebuild, albeit still not problem-free, is most likely option as owners target having one of Europe's best stadiums

Chelsea are holding a new round of talks over their £1.5 billion stadium project as the Todd Boehly-Clearlake Capital owners inch closer to a decision that will shape the club’s future.

While much of the focus has been on how long the board can keep faith with head coach Graham Potter after a terrible run of results, Chelsea have an even bigger issue coming to a head.

Boehly and his co-controlling owner Behdad Eghbali are adamant that Chelsea must have one of the best stadiums in England and in Europe by the time the project comes to an end, with 2030 regarded as the earliest possible move-in date.

Telegraph Sport understands that knocking down Stamford Bridge and building a new stadium on the existing site is currently emerging as the most likely option, although a final decision is yet to be taken.

This is currently the most likely scenario and the one previous owner Roman Abramovich was granted planning permission for. Building a new stadium on the existing site would also be the most popular option among the majority of supporters and the Chelsea Pitch Owners [CPO].

While there is unlikely to be enough space to build one of the biggest stadiums in the country, starting from scratch would give Chelsea the opportunity to build one of the best with a new capacity of at least 55,000. Knocking down Stamford Bridge and clearing the debris would take around 12-18 months itself, which means the entire project would take at least five years to complete.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by Prob »

The state of our dressing room and facilities at the stadium are no where near the level of premiership club
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1093 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

This year has really hit home how truly awful the stadium is. More than it ever has. The absurd thing is that the modifications they’ve made over the past few years have been to make the atmosphere worse. The forcing of people sitting down, getting rid of home fan blocks, building walls to block view of away fans. It’s just getting worse and worse. I really do hope new owners and purchasing of stadium rights can save this shambles.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

BigFatSam wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 pm This year has really hit home how truly awful the stadium is. More than it ever has. The absurd thing is that the modifications they’ve made over the past few years have been to make the atmosphere worse. The forcing of people sitting down, getting rid of home fan blocks, building walls to block view of away fans. It’s just getting worse and worse. I really do hope new owners and purchasing of stadium rights can save this shambles.
I actually really enjoy night games at the LS.

The day games are turgid though.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Interesting article I came across regarding the LS.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/olympic-park ... this-year/

It's an absolute joke that 7 years on since we moved there, we still haven't secured any naming rights.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Prob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 pm The state of our dressing room and facilities at the stadium are no where near the level of premiership club
They seemed pretty decent to me when I did the stadium tour (with Tony Gale as host). I haven't been in many but I did go to Barcelona's. I've never heard anyone complain about this aspect of the stadium
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:35 am The Founders Walls. Another poorly executed exercise. How many original season ticket holders at the time of the move have seen their name or know where to look? It's not easy.
Isn't that the point - its not supposed to be easy.

Anyway I found mine, with a pint at half time at around about the 2nd game in. As did my pals.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This is old news now but if anyone is unaware/has been unable to find a name on those walls, you can check the location on these online versions...

https://www.whufc.com/es/node/230
To find your name, click on the Stand where you sit*, and type Crtl+F (or Cmd+F on a Mac) on your keyboard for a search box to appear.

Enter your first and last name and press enter – your name should be highlighted, showing its location.

*that's obviously based on where your ST was in the first season.