Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by BigFatSam »

Albie Beck wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 pm We all know where the more lively, noisy areas are developing. People are gravitating there and although it's taken years the zones like Chav Corner and the BML will re-form. A couple of my mates have moved to the BML and love it. Personally, I'm happy where I am. I still make a noise.

The atmosphere in the stadium is quite good for a few games where something is at stake. That, unfortunately, is just like the last few seasons at UP.

The stadium needs reconfiguring for sure, but the real solution is with us - we need to create the atmosphere but I'm not sure that more flags and inflatables is the long-term solution.

I agree, the atmosphere can be good and I think it’s been decent this season, areas are reforming again and there’s still a way to go.

I don’t really want flags or inflatables either, but I do think discussions about how we can improve our atmosphere should be welcomed rather than shunned.

It’s probably going to be a while until we’re moved any closer to the pitch which would naturally improve the atmosphere.

I moved from the Billy Bonds to east stand this year and the atmosphere is considerably better.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:47 pm Then you should be behind someone trying to improve the atmosphere...

...seems like you don't think theres a problem or care about improving it.
Don't think there's a problem? I think the place should be razed.
Don't care about improving it? We have tried to speak with the club about safe standing for years.

I would be behind someone trying to improve the atmosphere if I knew who they were and if they proposed something canvassing opinion first and not after. I can't imagine the BML ever wanting flag waving - it was a dumb thing to mention off the bat.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:09 pm No reason there can't be room for groups like this trying to make the best of a bad situation and others trying to pressure the owners as well.
Sadly DDA, if they think the club will pay them anything more than lip service they're either incredibly naive or simply not been paying attention for the last six years.

The board will tell them they already have a mechanism in place via which supporters may be consulted.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:43 pm Pinky v Doc :shock:
Pinky is a lesser likely flag waver than Gandhi and he wouldn't be seen dead in the BML. Nor Pinky.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:14 pm Pinky is a lesser likely flag waver than Gandhi and he wouldn't be seen dead in the BML. Nor Pinky.
Wasn't the big flag in the BML on Sunday his? Apologies to the man if I'm wrong.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:10 pm Sadly DDA, if they think the club will pay them anything more than lip service they're either incredibly naive or simply not been paying attention for the last six years.

The board will tell them they already have a mechanism in place via which supporters may be consulted.
I think you're right. Hopefully the fact they want to go through Jack Sullivan as a contact might stroke the right egos this time around.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:37 pm I think you're right. Hopefully the fact they want to go through Jack Sullivan as a contact might stroke the right egos this time around.
Jack Sullivan - albeit only 16 at the time - was present in a meeting of 'content creators' back in 2016/17 at which I asked Karren Brady when a family enclosure would be installed (answer, "the whole stadium is family friendly").
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:37 pm Wasn't the big flag in the BML on Sunday his? Apologies to the man if I'm wrong.
I think a fan made banner is distinct from a flag.

There's an interesting story behind the Last Hero of the Boleyn banner if he cares to tell it.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

If Pinky made that banner he should be in next series of The Great British Sewing Bee. :crylol:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:02 pm

It’s probably going to be a while until we’re moved any closer to the pitch which would naturally improve the atmosphere.

Approximately 93 years would be my guess.
They're not going to do anything that costs money.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I don't know the best place to put this or even if it needs a thread of its own. Hopefully the mods will know :grin:

Drug-related offences in football could mean five-year bans
Anyone caught in possession of or supplying class A drugs in connection with football faces a five-year ban and their passport being taken off them.

The new rules announced by the UK government are set to be introduced during the 2022-23 season.

"Middle-class coke heads should stop kidding themselves," said Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

"Their habit is feeding a war on our streets driving misery and crime across our country and beyond."

The government said the new rules, which have been backed by the National Police Chiefs' Council, were being introduced "in a bid to prevent these hooligans from causing violence and disruption".

They will mean that those convicted of drug-related offences could have to surrender their passports when their team plays abroad.

"It's been a thrilling football season, but at some games we've seen ugly violence that that has shocked all the leagues," said police, crime and probation minister Kit Malthouse.

"More and more the police are finding class A drugs at the heart of that disorder and so we must act. The football family wants every ground to be a safe space for fans, especially children, and so do we.

"Football banning orders have been a game changer in rooting out racism and violence at football, and now we want them to do the same for drug-related disorder."

more...
Good. It might make attending games a better experience for those that don't rely on drugs to have what they consider a good time, and what the rest of us consider being an obnoxious prat.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

I agree. I mean look at the state of Michael Gove…

Ignores the fact that alcohol is the main driver, but then that’s taxed eh?
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Why only football? Cocaine is at every other sporting event, gig or gathering of more than 10 people, take everyone's passport if you want to do it
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Yet another instance where the mere act of going to attend a football match has different legal implications than doing anything else.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:49 pm I agree. I mean look at the state of Michael Gove…

Ignores the fact that alcohol is the main driver, but then that’s taxed eh?
I’m really not sure that alcohol is the main driver anymore.
It is a factor but the sniff has been ever increasing.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

From an article on the Beeb website:
"UK Athletics is reported to be negotiating a settlement to surrender its rights to host annual events at London Stadium, a 50-year arrangement struck in 2013."
Could this mean we are free to ditch the poxy running track and build a proper football ground?

Beeb article
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:15 am From an article on the Beeb website:
"UK Athletics is reported to be negotiating a settlement to surrender its rights to host annual events at London Stadium, a 50-year arrangement struck in 2013."
Could this mean we are free to ditch the poxy running track and build a proper football ground?

Beeb article
No. Too costly and for the owners , no financial benefit.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

next step will be to buy the bowl for a small amount. then we can think about rebuilding. around 10 years time !

if they get rid of the running track then I can see something being done. move the pitch closer to the west stand and rebuild a new BB stand. join the ends up and have a 70000 Bobby Moore arena ! make the bowl all claret on the outside and light it up at night games like Bayern Munich do the Allianz arena !

can be done but wont be whilst GSB are still here.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:35 am next step will be to buy the bowl for a small amount. then we can think about rebuilding. around 10 years time !

if they get rid of the running track then I can see something being done. move the pitch closer to the west stand and rebuild a new BB stand. join the ends up and have a 70000 Bobby Moore arena ! make the bowl all claret on the outside and light it up at night games like Bayern Munich do the Allianz arena !

can be done but wont be whilst GSB are still here.
Sounds great in theory but how long would it take to build a new stand?
Where would everyone be relocated while the work was being completed?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:06 pm Jack Sullivan - albeit only 16 at the time - was present in a meeting of 'content creators' back in 2016/17 at which I asked Karren Brady when a family enclosure would be installed (answer, "the whole stadium is family friendly").
Someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.