Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:49 pm I've raised this with the supporter groups and also with the club via feedback.
Totally agree it's a real issue. Would also add that it's a potential problem if a group of away fans try to barge through en route to the away end. Only takes a stray elbow ( intended or not) to ignite a row.
I would be interested in hearing any response you get.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I really hope we push about this wall issue with the board, things like this should not be allowed to happen. It’s unbelievable.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:04 pm I believe drinks prices are much cheaper at Spurs and the bars remain open for an hour post match to slow the dispersal.
Plus everyone there needs another drink to fortify themselves before leaving the stadium. It's like stepping outside the walls of The Green Zone in Iraq.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:07 pm I really hope we push about this wall issue with the board, things like this should not be allowed to happen. It’s unbelievable.
What if it's a condition of the safety certificate?

I'm not saying it is, I'm asking the question.
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm What if it's a condition of the safety certificate?

It could be but from what I can see it actually causes a safety issue in itself!

And If it’s about throwing things, put a net up
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:06 pm I would be interested in hearing any response you get.
Last season. None direct from the club. WHUISA made note of for next meets with the club.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Wrong thread
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm What if it's a condition of the safety certificate?

It'll be a convenient excuse to hide behind for reasons not to bring down the Berlin Wall, but it's all a load of b*llocks. It's ruining the atmosphere in that corner for those wishing to enjoy it.

Sort it out West Ham, you atmosphere cleansing c****!
WHUFC 1966
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by WHUFC 1966 »

roblo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 pm Yep, it's safe standing. Think they were also in the home block above the screen too. Makes me think if they might that whole upper section the away end one day.
It was there last season as well to be fair
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

This is how I would solve the lack of atmosphere. Put the away supporters in the corner of the Billy Bonds and Trevor Brooking, all in the lower and have safe standing either side. Logistically it might not work but I think it would solve our current issues.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

We_are_BML wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:42 pm This is how I would solve the lack of atmosphere. Put the away supporters in the corner of the Billy Bonds and Trevor Brooking, all in the lower and have safe standing either side. Logistically it might not work but I think it would solve our current issues.
The trouble you'll find there is I think you'll restrict home access to the Upper Tier. You'd need away fans to not use the stairs, and home fans use the stairs all in the same open concourse.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

If the barrier has to be there, why cant it be perspex or at least clear ?

As someone already pointed out then if its an issue with missile throwing then a net would solve that.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Councillor Ian Ward, the Leader of Birmingham City Council, did not rule out an Olympics bid when asked about it on the eve of these Games, while Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said the idea of staging an Olympic Games away from London in 2036 or 2040 is an “attractive” one.

- yet more confirmation that a multi sport Olympic/London Stadium was not essential.
Resident
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Resident »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm It could be but from what I can see it actually causes a safety issue in itself!

And If it’s about throwing things, put a net up
Ground wouldn't get a safety certificate if a net was up.

Luckily illegal inside football grounds since about 1993.

You can't have netting up now behind goals at non league grounds.to stop losing balls either.
Resident

Post by Resident »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 am Walking around the outside of the ground to our respective gates we all have to push through the back of the queues to the other gates. There are no stewards and no barriers to control the crowd. There are people coming both ways, including some who are less abled. It is always a crush as it gets closer to kick off.

This could easily be fixed by putting 2 lines of crowd control barriers along the fence line, one for people walking clockwise and one anticlockwise.
Or turning up 20 mins earlier to avoid the scrums.
Resident

Post by Resident »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am We turned up 15 mins before kick off and the queues were the worst I've ever seen at the new ground, NFC clearly a shambles given the size of the queue at the ticket office. Worked fine for us but can see how it wouldve been confusing for some.

As for "the wall" in 113 - an absolute disgrace. Was already hard enough to get motivated to go over there, now I think I might jack in most of the home games this season. My ST is on the aisle of 113 (as close to the away fans as you can get) - genuinely think the wall blocks out c10k seats at that end of the stadium (not just the away fans) and the screen. Spoke to the TO this morning about it and was told to email in to complain and that there was little to no chance of relocating season tickets at this point :thdn:

Oh and 1 other thing on the wall - presumably its been put in place to prevent things being thrown? Well that works great, plenty chucked at me from City yesterday, only this time, we couldnt see it coming. If this was Vienna last year for example I'd have had a bottle to the head with no time to react to it. Ridiculous.

Karren Brady killing that atmosphere one step at a time.
15 mins before and you wonder why it was busy with 62000 attending.
Blimey. Not the clubs fault really is it.
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

Resident wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm Ground wouldn't get a safety certificate if a net was up.

Luckily illegal inside football grounds since about 1993.

You can't have netting up now behind goals at non league grounds.to stop losing balls either.
So you can’t have a net but can stick a great big metal wall instead. Make sense :crylol:
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Resident wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:54 pm Or turning up 20 mins earlier to avoid the scrums.
Not always possible, transport issues etc
Plus if everyone turned up 20 mins earlier there would be similar queues then.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Resident wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:54 pm Or turning up 20 mins earlier to avoid the scrums.
To be fleeced for any food and drink we then buy inside the ground.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

roblo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 pm Yep, it's safe standing. Think they were also in the home block above the screen too. Makes me think if they might that whole upper section the away end one day.
That end is 'all away fans' for most of the cup games.

We can't split/segregate the upper and lower tier as they would all use the same concourse and entrance.