Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

Walking around the outside of the ground to our respective gates we all have to push through the back of the queues to the other gates. There are no stewards and no barriers to control the crowd. There are people coming both ways, including some who are less abled. It is always a crush as it gets closer to kick off.

This could easily be fixed by putting 2 lines of crowd control barriers along the fence line, one for people walking clockwise and one anticlockwise.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

:D
Oldun wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 am If you want cheap beer then yes but they will have to sort out a few things and hopefully they will.
They have screens in there where the show live games.
A lot of dedicated people have kept this club going and they deserve support.
They do but they definitely need to be better organised and shouldn't be closing the bar half an hour after the match has ended. You've also mentioned Fosters and Heineken, not a great sales pitch Oldun!
Is there much queueing at the bar pre match?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

mushy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am :D

They do but they definitely need to be better organised and shouldn't be closing the bar half an hour after the match has ended. You've also mentioned Fosters and Heineken, not a great sales pitch Oldun!
Is there much queueing at the bar pre match?
It’s not a sales pitch ,someone asked a question and I gave an answer,I am just a member and have been for many years and want it to succeed.
Yes there was problems yesterday but with new owners hopefully they will sort it out.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Taking my usual route away yesterday down towards the Carpenters, there was no Stop/Go on the corner of Pool St. Have they all been done away with, or just this one, just this once?
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:34 am Taking my usual route away yesterday down towards the Carpenters, there was no Stop/Go on the corner of Pool St. Have they all been done away with, or just this one, just this once?
The police were asking the stewards to open up other routes and do away with some of the stop/go signs as there were people trying to get from Westfield to wherever this Abba thing is.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

We turned up 15 mins before kick off and the queues were the worst I've ever seen at the new ground, NFC clearly a shambles given the size of the queue at the ticket office. Worked fine for us but can see how it wouldve been confusing for some.

As for "the wall" in 113 - an absolute disgrace. Was already hard enough to get motivated to go over there, now I think I might jack in most of the home games this season. My ST is on the aisle of 113 (as close to the away fans as you can get) - genuinely think the wall blocks out c10k seats at that end of the stadium (not just the away fans) and the screen. Spoke to the TO this morning about it and was told to email in to complain and that there was little to no chance of relocating season tickets at this point :thdn:

Oh and 1 other thing on the wall - presumably its been put in place to prevent things being thrown? Well that works great, plenty chucked at me from City yesterday, only this time, we couldnt see it coming. If this was Vienna last year for example I'd have had a bottle to the head with no time to react to it. Ridiculous.

Karren Brady killing that atmosphere one step at a time.
Last edited by Knighter10WHU on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestSideBoy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by WestSideBoy »

So we’re what, 6 years into Project Stratford and the gaff is still a shambles!

The migration that keeps on giving!
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

I saw enormous queues at H (the biggest I've ever seen there), but nothing whatsoever at J. I went straight in. Absolutely no idea why this would be.

Also, I've never really had any problems getting in to the ground since we've been there. Again, absolutely no idea why, must be sheer luck. I've sat all round the ground so used different gates, and was a ST holder for three seasons (have been to about 10-15 games per season since then).
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The simple fact, which I reckon everyone can agree on, is that the club must control the stadium. It's a farce when you have over £200m coming through the door every year not to run your own ground. This is the defining legacy of GSB, whatever else happens in their tenure.

It needs a big fan park, street vendors, painting in our colours, safe standing behind the goals, our own stewards and the removal of the track and no shared usage. All those should be prerequisites for a football club with more revenue than ever, but they sound like hare brained flights of fancy at our place.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:20 pm The simple fact, which I reckon everyone can agree on, is that the club must control the stadium. It's a farce when you have over £200m coming through the door every year not to run your own ground. This is the defining legacy of GSB, whatever else happens in their tenure.

It needs a big fan park, street vendors, painting in our colours, safe standing behind the goals, our own stewards and the removal of the track and no shared usage. All those should be prerequisites for a football club with more revenue than ever, but they sound like hare brained flights of fancy at our place.
Newham, one of the poorest councils in the country supposedly, are the only local authority in London that doesn’t issue street trading licenses to traders outside the major football stadiums in the capital.
This is the same council that has reportedly lost £40 million on their investment at the LS.
Nothing to see here.
Last edited by Hammer.CA on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am We turned up 15 mins before kick off and the queues were the worst I've ever seen at the new ground, NFC clearly a shambles given the size of the queue at the ticket office. Worked fine for us but can see how it wouldve been confusing for some.
Only going to get worse as there is absolutely no motivation to get in the ground until just before kick off.

We used to roll in early and have a few drinks but not at the prices being charged now.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Of all the days to turn up early, it was yesterday. 16:30 kickoff on a Sunday so plenty of time. New ticketing system.

We spent a few hours drinking outside and in The Cow, rolled into the stadium at 15:45, and had another pint and a pie. Nice and relaxed, no queues, no issues at the turnstiles. :newthumb:
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

There were deals on alcohol in our first season there wasn’t there? Or have I made that up?

If you want people in a bit more early to manage the new system, offer 2 for 1 beers up to an hour before the game.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

The drinks prices are not going to encourage people to arrive earlier.
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by E15Iron »

Did anyone else notice the bars in front of the away fans in the upper tiers?
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 am Walking around the outside of the ground to our respective gates we all have to push through the back of the queues to the other gates. There are no stewards and no barriers to control the crowd. There are people coming both ways, including some who are less abled. It is always a crush as it gets closer to kick off.

This could easily be fixed by putting 2 lines of crowd control barriers along the fence line, one for people walking clockwise and one anticlockwise.
I've raised this with the supporter groups and also with the club via feedback.
Totally agree it's a real issue. Would also add that it's a potential problem if a group of away fans try to barge through en route to the away end. Only takes a stray elbow ( intended or not) to ignite a row.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:38 pm There were deals on alcohol in our first season there wasn’t there? Or have I made that up?

If you want people in a bit more early to manage the new system, offer 2 for 1 beers up to an hour before the game.
Still deals now but when the early bird offer means £6 a pint it's a big 'no deal' from me.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:05 am Is the supporters club membership worth it? Was considering paying the annual membership :chin:
Not if you can't get served, or even get in, in some cases.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

E15Iron wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:43 pm Did anyone else notice the bars in front of the away fans in the upper tiers?
Yep, it's safe standing. Think they were also in the home block above the screen too. Makes me think if they might that whole upper section the away end one day.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:42 pm The drinks prices are not going to encourage people to arrive earlier.
I believe drinks prices are much cheaper at Spurs and the bars remain open for an hour post match to slow the dispersal.