Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Aztec Hammer »

likemydreams wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:53 pm The lights was all about LGBT and was way over the top
Car wouldn't start yesterday when I left for the game so had to watch it on the box, but from what I could see, the rainbow colours were used with the lights before the game, and then claret and blue was also used just before and at half time?

I thought both examples gave the stadium much more life, and obviously in the case of the claret and blue, it's something that could be used for every game to add to the West Ham feeling.

Why were rainbow lights over the top? They're just lights and this game week the focus was on the Rainbow, which could also be seen with the armband and the corner flag etc.

I understand those who feel that the Premier League are disingenuous. I certainly feel that way when I look at how Newcastle's owners and their dirty money was welcomed aboard with no issue. But putting aside my side eye towards the PL, and just looking at it from the point of view of it being the game week for the LGBT initiative, I thought the lights looked pretty cool.

It's nice to actually get something unique out of our stadium once in a blue moon. I hope we persist with the claret and blue lighting. The outside of the stadium should be like that all the time, but of course we get the council Christmas wrapping instead.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Thought the light show adds to the atmosphere. Vkaret and blue lighting was good
I like the lights off before kivk off, added to atmosphere .like the old days.
A few things like this add to the atmosphere.
Would like claret seats
Claret and blue outside wrapping instead of white around the stadium
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

likemydreams wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:53 pm The lights was all about LGBT and was way over the top
Really?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Thanks for that pic. For all its faults the stadium bowl does make for an amazing look at times.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I enjoyed the light show
I don't normally get in until right on kick off but I was a bit earlier yesterday and it livened things up
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:32 pmReally?
Yes really , i couldnt care less about peoples sexuallity is and its about time footballers came out but forcing one agenda after another on us is getting boring ffs .
I also feel these "light shows" etc have a negetive effect on the atmosphere , everyone with there phones out taking pics instead of building a more natural atmosphere is *****
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

As opposed to the usual sterile white light before night games that makes the Bowl look like a hospital waiting room.
TonyV
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by TonyV »

Thought the light show was great unlike the football ;) .
Stadium does scrub up well for night games.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:43 pm I did! I’m surprised they left it on all game but I liked it.

The view before the game:
https://ibb.co/Q6Fp7Gj
Cheers for the posting the pic mate, stadium always looks great on night games!
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Danny Murphy paid his first visit on Monday…

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

If, like Murphy, you’re going for the first time you’ll probably think it is all ok. No issues with that.

It doesn’t feel like home, and the club are still too slow/can’t be bothered to go out of their way to make that happen.
Resident
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Resident »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:44 pm If, like Murphy, you’re going for the first time you’ll probably think it is all ok. No issues with that.

It doesn’t feel like home, and the club are still too slow/can’t be bothered to go out of their way to make that happen.
Yawn yawn yawn .

You probably don't even know the internet exsists yet alone be able to use it??

Stuck in the 80s.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Resident wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:39 pm Yawn yawn yawn .

You probably don't even know the internet exsists yet alone be able to use it??

Stuck in the 80s.
Considering I was born in 1992, you’ve embarrassed yourself mate.

It doesn’t feel like home. Feel free to agree or disagree but don’t be a **** about it.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by War Pony »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:44 pm If, like Murphy, you’re going for the first time you’ll probably think it is all ok. No issues with that.

We are limited to what we can do with the stadium whilst it is rented. I am holding on for next year when the GSB can sell without a huge financial penalty.

This stadium can be vastly improved with some smart architectural minds and money thrown at it. For now, it'll do... 60k+ fans every home game will tell you that.

:crest:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 pm ...but don’t be a **** about it.
Might be tricky.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

War Pony wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:03 pm
This stadium can be vastly improved with some smart architectural minds and money thrown at it. For now, it'll do... 60k+ fans every home game will tell you that.

And there's the rub, whilst 60k are turning up every week where's the incentive to spend any money on the place.? The priority will be high end seats and corporate. They're not going to spend millions reconfiguring the stands if there's not much return on investment.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

War Pony wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:03 pm We are limited to what we can do with the stadium whilst it is rented. I am holding on for next year when the GSB can sell without a huge financial penalty.

It doesn't even take a smart mind (let alone an architectural one which I'd like too) - just needs someone at the top of the club hierarchy to embrace the club's history/ethos and recognise that fans are solution to the stadium issues and not the problem. Stop gentrification of the club (which has failed miserably, especially for corporate facilities) and start to listen

Greatest stadium migration in history etc....
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

WebmasterFF wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:10 am It doesn't even take a smart mind (let alone an architectural one which I'd like too) - just needs someone at the top of the club hierarchy to embrace the club's history/ethos and recognise that fans are solution to the stadium issues and not the problem.Stop gentrification of the club (which has failed miserably, especially for corporate facilities) and start to listen

Greatest stadium migration in history etc....
Happens in every sport and is happening every week at every Premier League club, just like all new stadiums built have corporate facitilies it's an earner for the club. Look in the programmes I would say most if not all the companies listed as partners are paying for corporate, I've had the benefit of going to a few games now as a guest of my brothers company and I enjoy it, and there are West Ham fans, there are neutrals and even opposition fans who are usually guests of the companies/people who are entertaining. Someone had paid to have Marlon Harewood sat with them last time I was there.

Don't get the complaining about it, you aren't forced paying those prices? it literally adds nothing negative to your own experience of visiting the OS.

As for failing miserably on the corporate front, for what it's worth every game I've been to, the lounges have been packed except Viborg because of the train strikes. I can barely get tickets for it due to people booking them up to entertain clients, I usually get lucky on midweek games etc.

It's not everyones cup of tea but it literally has zero effect on the fan in the stands, zero. So why people piss and moan about them like they're such a big problem I'll never know. The rate some people go on they make out half the stadium is full of prawn sandwich eaters and tourists. It's a load of cobblers.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

corporate is a necessity for PL grounds and we should make the most of it. My main gripe is the BB stand that is just too far away from the pitch, especially around the half way line ! when we own the bowl we just need to move the pitch towards the west stand and then move the BB stands around 30m nearer and rebuild that stand.

in the meantime keep the light show and I like the no lights on until the players come out that they did for bourneouth.
a better DJ would help
replace the white seats with claret ones
replace the white surround outside with a claret and blue one.
light the outside concourse with more claret and blue lighting
make sure the TV screens work as most dont in the BB stand
reduce beer prices to £5 a pint
play a womens match beforehand
allow flags in

plenty could and should be done even before we buy it .however it needs the top dogs to want to do it !
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by GALF »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 pm Considering I was born in 1992, you’ve embarrassed yourself mate.

It doesn’t feel like home. Feel free to agree or disagree but don’t be a **** about it.
Don’t mind him, he’s a bit of a Lawro.

I’m very slightly younger than you and I feel the exact same. I was privileged to have had a handful of years as a ST holder at the old place before we moved and the experience for me is night and day and, in truth, that’s likely never going to change, no matter what steps are taken. I’m not suggesting it won’t get better, but it’ll never be the same.

Part of me is envious of the new generation that never experienced the old place, as there’s nothing for them to compare the LS to which may negatively affect the way they view it. The other half of me wouldn’t dream of swapping positions with them as I cherish the years I had at UP.