Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammers92 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 pm It would cost us millions in maintenance and all the other expenditure that comes with it. We really cannot afford major structural changes and at the moment the athletic track needs to be used once a year.

Unless someone with deep pockets and an investment vision including selling land off it won't happen.
I wasn’t referring to structural changes, the stadium is what it is sadly. Birmingham have just had the Commonwealth games and a new state of the art Athletics stadium built that is fit for the size of the sport so one would assume there’s no more need to hold Athletics events in Stratford.

Owning the stadium allows us to do things we’ve not been allowed to do before, from taking control of the catering, the stewards etc and having control over things that we have outsourced to other places.

Naturally, this is all conjecture but a deal that works for West Ham will also be a deal that should work for the taxpayer. In a time when money and budgets is tight, subsidising our stadium isn’t the best political play.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by danm79 »

Mullhull wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:52 pm Others on here such as the Royal Mail workers and posties think he's the devil. In what capacity have you spoken to him if I may ask?

Is there any information you can share with us so we can have a better understanding of him? how he operates etc?
Really, I have not seen any of those posts on here or the takeover thread. Are they on another one so I can take a look?

He is a customer and I am not able to say anything more on that side of things.

Not sure what can be said that most don't know or you wouldn't assume. He is very professional and extremely intelligent. Has a measured approach and but relies on his team. Definitely one to make sure things a done correctly, I wouldn't think too many people have ever got one over on him. One thing was very clear he certainly had done his homework before buying his shares in us. He will be a good owner for us.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:26 pm I wasn’t referring to structural changes, the stadium is what it is sadly. Birmingham have just had the Commonwealth games and a new state of the art Athletics stadium built that is fit for the size of the sport so one would assume there’s no more need to hold Athletics events in Stratford.

Owning the stadium allows us to do things we’ve not been allowed to do before, from taking control of the catering, the stewards etc and having control over things that we have outsourced to other places.

Naturally, this is all conjecture but a deal that works for West Ham will also be a deal that should work for the taxpayer. In a time when money and budgets is tight, subsidising our stadium isn’t the best political play.
You make valid points about the Birmingham stadium and also taxpayer losses. Let's hope things improve.
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

danm79 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:40 pm Really, I have not seen any of those posts on here or the takeover thread. Are they on another one so I can take a look?

He is a customer and I am not able to say anything more on that side of things.

Not sure what can be said that most don't know or you wouldn't assume. He is very professional and extremely intelligent. Has a measured approach and but relies on his team. Definitely one to make sure things a done correctly, I wouldn't think too many people have ever got one over on him. One thing was very clear he certainly had done his homework before buying his shares in us. He will be a good owner for us.
Thanks mate. I will of course reserve judgement until he is our owner.

The Prague fans also weren't 100% behind him either. There was a post on this board about him and the Royal Mail workers.

Sorry I don't remember what it was called but the Postie wasn't very complimentary about him. Rightly or wrongly might I add.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Mullhull wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:44 am Sorry I don't remember what it was called but the Postie wasn't very complimentary about him. Rightly or wrongly might I add.
Think you may have meant this thread
viewtopic.php?t=184845&hilit=Royal+mail
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

could DK do more harm than GSB. sold our home, awful stadium, embarasment to the club, destroyed our history, no museum, no support for away fans. the bar is very low for DK.
buy the ground once athletics gone for good.
new manager
run the club properly, maximise the huge fanbase. not rip them off !
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Well new owners could do worse, look at Sheffield Wednesday or other teams struggling in lower leagues. I want SB out but new owners don't necessarily mean success.

There are 7 clubs at least that have big investment where their fans think they have a right to champions league every year. 3 of those will be not only disappointed but will have fans getting on to the owners.

I am intrigued what could happen to us though, redevelopment of our site would be good news but will probably be in the long term.

I wonder where we would play if stadium was rebuilt?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

60,000 tickets sold every week.

Why would anyone rebuild the stadium? Even of they could, which they can't without removing at huge expense more toxic material currently underneath it.

Stop dreaming people, stop fantasising.

We got mugged, good and proper. Take it on the chin and move on.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:32 am 60,000 tickets sold every week.

Why would anyone rebuild the stadium? Even of they could, which they can't without removing at huge expense more toxic material currently underneath it.

Yep the stadium move was never for the fans. They really don't care.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm not sure why new owners would want to buy the stadium. Renting it for peanuts makes much more sense. Of course buying it would give us much more say over how it's run but would it be worth it to a new owner? Spurs have topped the league (there had to be one somewhere) in football clubs' interest payments at , I think, £29m last year. That's just the interest. Although I've not been there I hear it's a great stadium, but that's not my point. To a new owner the low rental costs could be very appealing
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

FOI release of email from West Ham vice chairman Karren Brady to LLDC CEO Lyn Garner in December 2022

https://twitter.com/westhamfootball/sta ... arB8L-lMeA
DublinDave
Has liked: 2750 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

If legit, that's damning for the way the LLDC is being run.
Would be very interested to see any reply they sent.

Don't like to praise Brady but that's a very well written letter that makes excellent points.
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

DublinDave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:56 am If legit, that's damning for the way the LLDC is being run.

Don't like to praise Brady but that's a very well written letter that makes excellent points.
People don't like to give her credit but she knows what she is doing.

That whole redacted part to do with naming rights is probably where KB is explaining what they're looking for is unrealistic and they should work together on the issue.

She definitely has told the LLDC that the figure they want is unrealistic though that has been mentioned previously.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

DublinDave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:56 am If legit, that's damning for the way the LLDC is being run.

It's the way it's written, loaded with blame game innuendo without being specific.

Bradys sole objective is to get Garner in the room to "negotiate" on the things that interest Brady and ignore anything the LLDC require. It's an obvious trap and Garner ois too long in the tooth to fall for it.

That, afterall, is how this whole mess was created in the first place - a smooth talking Brady and some dumb politicians.

Garner isn't as naive as her predecessors.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Here's the preceding letters as well:

El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Mullhull wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 am People don't like to give her credit but she knows what she is doing.
She is good at what she does and good to have in your corner.
She has never been on "our" side or our corner though imo.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:32 am 60,000 tickets sold every week.

Why would they have to dig deeper? If rebuilt stands just need to be closer.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2750 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm It's the way it's written, loaded with blame game innuendo without being specific.

Bradys sole objective is to get Garner in the room to "negotiate" on the things that interest Brady and ignore anything the LLDC require. It's an obvious trap and Garner ois too long in the tooth to fall for it.

That, afterall, is how this whole mess was created in the first place - a smooth talking Brady and some dumb politicians.

Garner isn't as naive as her predecessors.
Tbh TPP, I thought the whole mess was created as soon as Levy started throwing spanners into the works early doors.
I wouldn't want Brady or anyone else working for the club to care about what the LLDC want.
Their job is to get the best deal for WHUFC.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Wembley1966 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:07 pm Here's the preceding letters as well
They mean nothing. She signed the deal and westhamfootball has released them to try to suggest she is trying to improve things.

Unless KSB pay out more towards the running costs LLDC have got no incentive to change things.

You are reading those letters because she wanted them out there, and Brady chose her favourite fan to get them out there.

Same tactics to push through the move and everything else since.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Big George wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:55 pm They mean nothing. She signed the deal and westhamfootball has released them to try to suggest she is trying to improve things.

Unless KSB pay out more towards the running costs LLDC have got no incentive to change things.

You are reading those letters because she wanted them out there, and Brady chose her favourite fan to get them out there.

Same tactics to push through the move and everything else since.
Why would KSB pay more than what was stipulated in the contract? Surely this would be a breach of contract?

Tbf to Brady I don't like her, but the LLDC are a disgrace.