Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Phil S wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:15 pm I just had a pint of Amstel £4.50....It was awful, just horrible.
We've given up on the drinks, as we can't find anything drinkable and certainly not worth the money. Cheap crap lager (at an expensive price), cider that makes Strongbow taste good and no bitter, pale ale, etc.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I'm guessing the naming rights are just one of a number of things we are playing chicken with the LLDC for (or whoever controls the stadium now).

It's a waiting game. Keep them draining money and making losses until we can buy the stadium off of them for the absolute best deal for West Ham. That's when we will suddenly see an uptake in sponsorships, improved catering situation and revenues into the club.

I also note that they've already explored the possibility of another Olympic Games here. Reeks of desperation and politicking.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

My thoughts exactly, it’s just a waiting game! The Lldc want rod for the right price

I wonder how much it would cost?
cornelius

Post by cornelius »

Does anyone know if, from within the ground, you can get between sections 251 and 105? My daughter and I will be in our season ticket seats in 251 for the FCSB match on Thursday and have bought the rest of the family tickets in 105, and just wondering if we will be able to meet up inside the ground for an overpriced, underwhelming pint before kickoff.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Even if West Ham do buy the stadium, there's still the massive thorn in the flesh known as athletics. Unless they're made an offer they can't refuse they have the right to host an event for a payment of £35,000 with the owners, West Ham United, picking up the bill for converting it into and out of athletics mode.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:22 pm Even if West Ham do buy the stadium, there's still the massive thorn in the flesh known as athletics. Unless they're made an offer they can't refuse they have the right to host an event for a payment of £35,000 with the owners, West Ham United, picking up the bill for converting it into and out of athletics mode.
A couple of months ago I read that UK Athletics were in talks with the club over a £10-15m buyout.

Not quite sure how we would be allowed to conduct those talks with things in their current format, but seems to be the case.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

cornelius wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm Does anyone know if, from within the ground, you can get between sections 251 and 105? My daughter and I will be in our season ticket seats in 251 for the FCSB match on Thursday and have bought the rest of the family tickets in 105, and just wondering if we will be able to meet up inside the ground for an overpriced, underwhelming pint before kickoff.
Yes - they're quite close:

old layout but still relevant

If you're likely to do this again, it might be worthwhile waiting until the additional tickets for season ticket holder window opens and buying seats together rather than buying just your own reserved ones earlier on. I reckon less than half season ticket holders had bought their own seats for FCSB when I bought different seats this afternoon.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I don’t think we would touch the stadium unless uk athletics left (with a pay out) I don’t think their finances are In a good state anyway
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

All over TikTok

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I can’t say I have too much of a problem with that video, fair play. I endorse anything that shows up how incompetent the whole thing is.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

Has there been any update on prices of drinks? I'm going to the Newcastle game and probably won't have time to get a drink at a pub. I don't really want to spend £7 on a pint. Is beer still half price a certain amount of time before kick off?

Also, I've heard that security queues are worse in the half hour before kick off. I assume because more fans are drinking at pubs rather than in the ground?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

MilkyBarKid16 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:27 am Has there been any update on prices of drinks? I'm going to the Newcastle game and probably won't have time to get a drink at a pub. I don't really want to spend £7 on a pint. Is beer still half price a certain amount of time before kick off?

Also, I've heard that security queues are worse in the half hour before kick off. I assume because more fans are drinking at pubs rather than in the ground?
Drinks have gone down in the price, possibly they will drop further but we don't know.

This isn't directed at you but it really bugs me when people complain about the queues 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are 62,500 of us now. Imagine turning up to a concert at Wembley 15 minutes before the band goes on and then being annoyed you missed the start.

Side note - the new hog roast food place round by J is nuts. Admittedly it costs £14 but you get a huge yorkshire pudding, two helpings of mash, mushy peas, and a whole load of pork etc. Big fan :grin:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:33 pm I can’t say I have too much of a problem with that video, fair play. I endorse anything that shows up how incompetent the whole thing is.
Nobes continuing to be a role model to a new generation :scarfer:
I used to sneak in to Upton Park to watch games. There was an iron fence that had a gap underneath, so we would distract the steward...
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 am This isn't directed at you but it really bugs me when people complain about the queues 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are 62,500 of us now. Imagine turning up to a concert at Wembley 15 minutes before the band goes on and then being annoyed you missed the start.
I completely agree - for the last few years I've got there a bit earlier to try and get cheaper beer. People missing the start and not knowing where to sit is my biggest bugbear
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by E15Iron »

100% on the queues, we have been here years now, we know what to expect with queues. I get there an hour before kick off and very rarely is there a queue. If there is, its no more than a couple of minutes.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

That bunking in is too easy the gap underneath is massive !

I saw a few kids bunking before one of the Europa games, Lyon or Franfurt.

They did the old squeeze in round the turnstile if you get it at the right angle, funniest bit was the TO manager was helping a family with a disabled person get in 2 turnstiles away !!
Danny's Dyer Acting

Pop Robson wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:16 am That bunking in is too easy the gap underneath is massive !

I saw a few kids bunking before one of the Europa games, Lyon or Franfurt.

They did the old squeeze in round the turnstile if you get it at the right angle, funniest bit was the TO manager was helping a family with a disabled person get in 2 turnstiles away !!
Worst thing about the lads sneaking in is that they've completely stitched themselves up for a few internet likes.

Had a good thing going there and could probably have cleaned up helping some of their mates sneak in for a a tenner a go.
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 am ...
This isn't directed at you but it really bugs me when people complain about the queues 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are 62,500 of us now. Imagine turning up to a concert at Wembley 15 minutes before the band goes on and then being annoyed you missed the start.
As I just posted an another thread "In the old days I just had to get to the street entrance of the Bobby Moore Upper 5 minutes before kick off and I would be in my seat in time ..." so I would say 10 minutes is a reasonable waiting time to get in but HALF AN HOUR hanging around is too much!
Danny's Dyer Acting

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 am This isn't directed at you but it really bugs me when people complain about the queues 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are 62,500 of us now. Imagine turning up to a concert at Wembley 15 minutes before the band goes on and then being annoyed you missed the start.
It's another point that proves the place isn't fit as a football stadium. Which is ridiculous given that's now its primary purpose.

For my sins I went to Arsenal-Man City at the Emirates on New Year's Day. Turned up barely 10 minutes before kick off and the only small delay to getting in was some uncertainty about people needing COVID passes which meant everyone slowed down on their way to the entrance. No security to get near the stadium and the usual pat down before we went through the turnstiles.

Why? Because the place is designed for football fans and around the realisation that it needs to deal with a huge peak of people trying to enter in a short period before kick off.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

mike1961 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:25 am As I just posted an another thread "In the old days I just had to get to the street entrance of the Bobby Moore Upper 5 minutes before kick off and I would be in my seat in time ..." so I would say 10 minutes is a reasonable waiting time to get in but HALF AN HOUR hanging around is too much!
Without trying to get into a heated debate about this, your conclusion that 10 minutes is a reasonable waiting time is something I can't agree with. You're comparing apples and oranges.

In the old days, you might give a dude an old ticket and he releases a rotating gate with his foot. You also couldn't enter Upton Park in the Bobby Moore stand, if you had a ticket in the Trevor Brooking stand.

At the London Stadium you don't need to go into a particular stand to get to your seat, you can literally go in any gate (I think two on either side of your "main one" officially) and walk around the inside of the concourse. Not only are there nearly twice as many fans trying to get to seats, but you can also argue that people queue at the first visible gate and don't walk around the stadium to their nearest gate.

If you think 10 minutes is enough, I would suggest you're going to be late almost every week and continue to be unhappy about it.