The Olympic/London Stadium: Poll #2

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you believe that the current Board will deliver regular European football within five years?

Yes
10%
No
82%
Unsure
8%

Total votes: 503

Boooogers!

Re: The Olympic/London Stadium: Poll #2

Post by Boooogers! »

In my defense, I answered Yes, because I think inevitably the "most successful stadium migration in history" debacle will start to blow over and within 5 years will be a distant memory for many.

The first poll suggested that up to 50% of STH's may not renew - presumably these are the most disgruntled with the move and they jack it in, the atmosphere in the new place should get a bit more cohesive (not "better", just more united).

There's no denying that the fan base is heavily divided, and the collective energy in the stadium is on the whole negative. This affects the players in a huge way and I think is the biggest reason we have gone backwards this season... Once the Owners fill the No Soul Bowl with more of the types of fans they want, and the "Old Guard" move on, there will be less negativity, the support will have been "cleansed".

Performances on the pitch will pick up again and the Club will start pushing for Europe. It just won't be West Ham anymore...

Of course, it's highly unlikely we'll have the same Owners in 5 years though.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Poll run by the Daily Mirror in January 2015!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... am-5010070
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Boooogers! wrote:In my defense, I answered Yes, because I think inevitably the "most successful stadium migration in history" debacle will start to blow over and within 5 years will be a distant memory for many.

The first poll suggested that up to 50% of STH's may not renew - presumably these are the most disgruntled with the move and they jack it in, the atmosphere in the new place should get a bit more cohesive (not "better", just more united).

There's no denying that the fan base is heavily divided, and the collective energy in the stadium is on the whole negative. This affects the players in a huge way and I think is the biggest reason we have gone backwards this season... Once the Owners fill the No Soul Bowl with more of the types of fans they want, and the "Old Guard" move on, there will be less negativity, the support will have been "cleansed".

Performances on the pitch will pick up again and the Club will start pushing for Europe. It just won't be West Ham anymore...

Of course, it's highly unlikely we'll have the same Owners in 5 years though.

This ain't meant as a dig, as you've put plenty of thought into posting it, but my head is spinning trying to get to grips with the sentiment you make regarding the place will be better off without the genuine football and West Ham loving folk, instead exchanged for a new breed of, for want of a better phrase, cardboard cut out day trippers, will ultimately be propping up a chirade of a Football Club instead. :?

The other problem with filling a new Stadium the size of Shitole with so many cardboard cut out day trippers, is they won't have the loyalty bred in to them to return again and again and again like we the old guard used too and so the fanbase gets even more diluted and weak. It's a horrendous model to adopt and one that has failure written all over it and can't for the life of me see how that would lead to a palpable positive energy and atmosphere that the players can feel strongly to play for in their honour. They'd soon f*** off and find a Club that does and who's blame them?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Pop Robson wrote:Regular, well we just had 2 seasons in Europe but it didn't look like the club wanted to progress

Didn't Sullivan say European football in 5yrs back in 2010 ?

Strange eh, to think we had just about managed to achieve getting in to Europe regularly with back-to-back seasons why still at The Boleyn just gone, only to swap it for a relegation dogfight again whilst sat in the new Stadium that was so crucial to get to the 'next level'. Brains of ****ing Britain, the lot of them.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

A no vote from me
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

To quote a modern, societal driven parlance...

...it's a no from me.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

1mcavennie wrote:UTJ: for the reasons people are already pointing out this poll is pointless and is unlikely to gain many serious votes - therefore the Board would take little notice of it

The original poll was a fair question which it if gained 1,000 votes the Board could not ignore

You should encourage all fans for and against the move to register their vote on the first poll
I think in terms of supporter 'feedback' 200 votes is what is deemed acceptable by clubs, the FA, etc.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

voted no - who even are astra ****ing goo goo
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

They've shown nothing to suggest anything other than 'no'.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

The Summer's transfer window has set us back a good couple years.

Because the knock on will be losing the likes of Payet and Lanzini in upcoming windows.

They need a huge name to fit into Slav's preferred system to come in early in January to even begin to resolve the backward steps made by signing a load of reserve team players in the Summer.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Regular Premier League football is not looking likely at the moment let alone europe.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

1mcavennie wrote:I think one of rhe Daves said the new stadium would make us a top 5 club
Top capacity maybe
jenkins89

Post by jenkins89 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:voted no - who even are astra ****ing goo goo
To quote a more eloquent fan than I, they're "a bunch of Romanian peasants".
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

No. Same answe I'd have given one year ago, two years ago, five years ago.

The maths never added up. You can't have cheap tickets to fill an oversized ground and bring in huge extra revenues to be able to outspend richer rivals.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

1mcavennie wrote:UTJ: for the reasons people are already pointing out...l
Not "people" ... just you, 1mc (twice)!
crackerdaq
Tits for tickets

Post by crackerdaq »

No but I do think we could win the Betway Cup...or at least be runners-up...
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

1mcavennie wrote:I think one of rhe Daves said the new stadium would make us a top 5 club
Did they mention in what division that would be in lol.

Joking aside, the only way to compete with the Elite teams is if we somehow find a billionaire owner or invester. Leicester winning the league showed it's not impossible but that was a one off, the usual suspects were either in a transitional phase or in disarray.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Colours never run wrote:
This ain't meant as a dig, as you've put plenty of thought into posting it, but my head is spinning trying to get to grips with the sentiment you make regarding the place will be better off without the genuine football and West Ham loving folk, instead exchanged for a new breed of, for want of a better phrase, cardboard cut out day trippers, will ultimately be propping up a chirade of a Football Club instead. :?

The other problem with filling a new Stadium the size of Shitole with so many cardboard cut out day trippers, is they won't have the loyalty bred in to them to return again and again and again like we the old guard used too and so the fanbase gets even more diluted and weak. It's a horrendous model to adopt and one that has failure written all over it and can't for the life of me see how that would lead to a palpable positive energy and atmosphere that the players can feel strongly to play for in their honour. They'd soon **** off and find a Club that does and who's blame them?
Have another read of my post CNR - I didn't say anywhere that the club will be better off.

I agree with 99% of what you think of the new stadium and owners, but I'm just a bit more resigned to what's happening. I've been through the denial, anger, depression etc... and am now in the acceptance bit of grief (easier for me as I'm far removed form the situation)...

Anyways, arguing among ourselves is exactly what the owners want... divide and conquer and all that...
Colours never run

Boooogers! wrote:[

(easier for me as I'm far removed form the situation)...

Anyways, arguing among ourselves is exactly what the owners want... divide and conquer and all that...

And that's the crux of the matter, which ain't your fault. But a lack of appreciation of those who still attend like me, weren't ready to pack it all up and are struggling now to come to terms with the fact, it just ain't worth it as it currently stands. It's been a huge part of my life and I'm having to seriously consider ****ing it off because the appeal is disappearing more and more as each games now passes. That's why people like me feel so strongly and angry a it the current situation as we never asked for any of this, forced upon us and having to take it or leave it like a shitty restaurant that treats you poorly. Only difference is, I've invested time, money and emotion into going to West Ham and everything a matchday was.

By the way, we ain't arguing, we're discussing the ins and outs of it. I ain't taking any of it to heart and know we're all West Ham end of the day, no matter where we are.
BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.

Post by BillUp »

I voted NO as we don't have the Billionaire owners and income all the regular top 5 teams have. So regular no. We may however get in through the back door as we have done on a few occasions recently.