The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Enjoy Supreme, it's a great but can be very frustrating sport :newthumb:

There is a golf saying "drive for show, putt for dough" - this 100%.

Practice all, but particularly your short game, from 100 yds into green, chipping onto green and putting, you will get your score down quicker than anything with having a decent short game.

Other bit of advice i give to all newbies, don't try and hit the skin off the ball off the T/fairway, concentrate on repetition of swing, if your mates are taken a 7 iron off the T, don't be embarrassed to take a 5 iron/5 wood - play your game, not the people you are playing. More golf balls you hit more repetition the more length you will find from drivers/irons.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:14 pm Welcome to the all consuming, mind bending torture that is golf :crossed:

When you've done that

For tips and instruction for the higher handicapper, I've found these two to be the most relevant and sensible:-

Rick Shiels, Danny Maude

Steve Johnson is also good for when you get a bit better.
Thanks mate - I'm a regular viewer of Rick Shiel's stuff, and have taken a few pointers from his videos already which have helped, particularly with my iron striking. I'll check out the others.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm Enjoy Supreme, it's a great but can be very frustrating sport :newthumb:

Practice all, but particularly your short game, from 100 yds into green, chipping onto green and putting, you will get your score down quicker than anything with having a decent short game.

Other bit of advice i give to all newbies, don't try and hit the skin off the ball off the T/fairway, concentrate on repetition of swing, if your mates are taken a 7 iron off the T, don't be embarrassed to take a 5 iron/5 wood - play your game, not the people you are playing. More golf balls you hit more repetition the more length you will find from drivers/irons.
Ironically strokes gained has disproved this over time

If you can increase distance off tee so that you have a smaller more controllable club in you gain less strokes over the round and get closer to the pin making putts more makeable

Far more confusing and doesn't sound as catchy tho!!
Supreme

Post by Supreme »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm Enjoy Supreme, it's a great but can be very frustrating sport :newthumb:

Thanks pal - some good advice. For me at the minute its consistency and keeping the ball in play, cutting out those really bad duff shots that are costing me the big scores. I don't even bother taking my driver has can't hit it, and feel a lot more comfortable taking my 3Hybrid of 6/7 Iron off the tee.
I'd say its my chipping from anywhere within 60 yards that I find really tough at the minute.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:48 pm Ironically strokes gained has disproved this over time

If you can increase distance off tee so that you have a smaller more controllable club in you gain less strokes over the round and get closer to the pin making putts more makeable

Far more confusing and doesn't sound as catchy tho!!
'If' is doing a lot of work here :winker:

I'd agree for a better player hitting it further off the tee is advantageous, but for a beginner or high handicapper I'd say keeping the ball in play* pays better dividends. To break 100 on a par 72 course you're allowed nine bogeys and nine double bogeys, you might as well make use of them. A 6i off the tee, another from the fairway and maybe a wedge will have you on most par 4s for three leaving you a putt for par or two for bogey which is your real target.

*'In play' doesn't necessarily mean on the fairway, anywhere that doesn't force your hand with shot choice I'd say is in play. The first cut of rough or even a shallow bunker don't really limit your options, unlike thick rough or being behind a tree.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Really mumbles!! I'm amazed at that as my rounds are always determined from how well my short game is going. Sometimes play with an old guy, hits a ball 160yds tops, always straight, never 3 putts, sinks many 1 putts and chips like a demon. I hit a fairly decent ball (drive 290/320yds, 6 iron 190/210yds), and our scores are remarkably close at the end. I tend to win all Par 5's, everything else is up for grabs as even with his short distance he scores so well as he is so accurate.

Supreme - golf & consistency, you get that, you get a decent score. Nothing wrong with taking a club off the T you are comfortable with, build confidence is key, you can always bring new clubs in as confidence in your swing grows :newthumb:

Chipping is an art form, and one I still struggle with today, it's the "feel" part of the game, like putting, and only way to get consistency in my world with those parts of the game is playing/practice.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm Really mumbles!! I'm amazed at that as my rounds are always determined from how well my short game is going. Sometimes play with an old guy, hits a ball 160yds tops, always straight, never 3 putts, sinks many 1 putts and chips like a demon. I hit a fairly decent ball (drive 290/320yds, 6 iron 190/210yds), and our scores are remarkably close at the end. I tend to win all Par 5's, everything else is up for grabs as even with his short distance he scores so well as he is so accurate.

Supreme - golf & consistency, you get that, you get a decent score. Nothing wrong with taking a club off the T you are comfortable with, build confidence is key, you can always bring new clubs in as confidence in your swing grows :newthumb:

Chipping is an art form, and one I still struggle with today, it's the "feel" part of the game, like putting, and only way to get consistency in my world with those parts of the game is playing/practice.
I find if I drive well I score well

No use 3 off the tee

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and ... -you-down/

"I am a great believer that the driver is the key club. Whatever your current ability, if you can start getting yourself in decent positions off the tee, the game will start to feel much easier. One of the worst and most destructive cliches in golf is that “putting is half the game”. There are very few instances when a player can make himself stand out from the crowd putting. Good players separate themselves by hitting bigger and better drives, and capitalising on these by hitting their irons closer to the hole. That is what makes them better than the rest. "

It's one of them phrases just like "you lifted your head"

Old school sayings being disproved
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm Really mumbles!! I'm amazed at that as my rounds are always determined from how well my short game is going. Sometimes play with an old guy, hits a ball 160yds tops, always straight, never 3 putts, sinks many 1 putts and chips like a demon. I hit a fairly decent ball (drive 290/320yds, 6 iron 190/210yds), and our scores are remarkably close at the end. I tend to win all Par 5's, everything else is up for grabs as even with his short distance he scores so well as he is so accurate.

His chipping is the key not putting so much

Chips like a demon.. so gets closer meaning easier putts

My putting stats went to hell when I got longer off tee as more greens in reg means I'm now say at back of green so longer putts

Where as before I could one putt more because I was say 30 yards off green in 2 then 8 iron to 5 feet

Short game and long game equally as important as putting.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Supreme wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:10 pm Newbie here. I picked up a second hand set of clubs last year to start playing - never played before but mates and family been badgering me for ages to start.
Callaway Big Bertha Irons, Driver, Hybrid and a Odyssey Putter. Played a few times on and off but always found it hard finding the time.

Didn't play for a good few months but recently had my birthday, got a load of golf stuff and got back into it and really got the bug now. Never fully got on with the Big Bertha's (and didn't like the look of them) so recently picked up a set of Nike Vapour Fly Irons and already feel a bit better hitting them.

I played South Essex a few weekends ago and Little Channels last weekend. Hoping to get over there again tonight to do 9 as its a ok little course for beginner level.

Anyone got any pro tips for breaking 100?
Practice and play, if it's dead out when playing stick a second ball down when you reach 100 yards and play both.. obviously score the first one but practice getting closer and closer

Practice lag putting (distance putting) get within a dustbin lid

If you do get time on range focus your practice.. only take say 30 balls and break them up..say only 7 for driver.. the rest irons and wedges.. least 10 for wedges.. take your time between shots don't be tempted to just fire all 30 in 20 mins

JBB is a real fan of Rick shiels. I agree he's great. Another tip from him for on the range. Never leave your "last ball" just because you have hit say your best drive of the day..don't go oh I want to end on that. Make sure you play that last ball as that's the only ball that truly recreates on course pressure ... That shot you can't redo, take again etc. That's it.. so take your time. Focus and hit

If you can afford lessons it's worth getting the basics .. grip, aim .. I haven't had a lesson for ages now but I had some great lessons with this guy in Romford and whenever it's going wrong on course I do what he told me. Take the grip back to basic and normally I can pull a round together even if it's not amazing ..
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Coach lockey with similar strokes gained mind set

Can relate that to bogey golf

If you are 50-100 left in 2 playing onto green... Getting on will save a lot more double bogeys from the card or worse
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

If you do get lessons, i recommend Steve Cardy at Little Channels.

I've been having lessons with him for about 7 years now, wouldn't have got anywhere near where i am now if I didn't have lessons.
Supreme

Post by Supreme »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:54 am If you do get lessons, i recommend Steve Cardy at Little Channels.

I've been having lessons with him for about 7 years now, wouldn't have got anywhere near where i am now if I didn't have lessons.
I had 3 lessons with Jason Livermore at Little Channels when I was just starting out - I thought he was great. This was before I had even played a course so maybe its worth me booking up a few more with him again now I've played a bit.

I actually went over Little Channels last night on my in the rain and done 9 holes, just for practice really. No one else there so took my time and dropped a few 2nd balls on shots just for practice.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Supreme wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 am I had 3 lessons with Jason Livermore at Little Channels when I was just starting out - I thought he was great. This was before I had even played a course so maybe its worth me booking up a few more with him again now I've played a bit.

I actually went over Little Channels last night on my in the rain and done 9 holes, just for practice really. No one else there so took my time and dropped a few 2nd balls on shots just for practice.
The lessons will have given you the basics. Don't be down hearted if it takes time for them to bed in. Took me ages to click the way I needed to hit it. Tbh lock down helped me. Came back out of first lockdown didn't touch a club , we then had starters so first tee nerves went as always had a crowd and driver suddenly I forgot everything I knew before and now only remember what he told me

Keep at it, I don't have time for range any more..I found the more I play the better my shots have become even if I don't score well so long as I've hit the ball well I'm happy

Keep postive thoughts. Don't beat yourself up if it goes wrong

Remember a pure iron and a shank are only what 1 inch on the face apart so it's a blooming hard thing

Hit a bad shot? Laugh at it.. it happens. Even the pros hit them.

Just go out and enjoy

Try not adding your scores until the end and just plod along enjoying it

You will surprise yourself

Nothing worse than being on 17th tee on 90 being like right can't muck this up now
chelmsfordhammer91

You can't go wrong with any of the coaches there really. Matt and Jack mostly teach the kids, with Jason being an ex pro (notable appearance in a BMW championship a fair few years back i believe).

Steve coaches on the PGA courses and invigilates the exams/playing tests etc. Very knowledgeable and has that eye of seeing exactly what you are doing wrong (or right) without relying on the slow mo footage.

I first started at little channels, then moved to the proper channels course two years before it closed. Play at the essex now in earls colne but might be moving on soon.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Par 3 courses.. forgot A how much I enjoy them and B. How great they are for practice

Had a short break at center parcs. Nice little par 3 course . (I had in my head pitch and putt ha. How wrong..holes between 100-160 yards. Tree lined, proper tester)

Myself. Dad (haven't played with him in 5 years? Due to his knees) and My brother in law

Lovely afternoon

Great practice for the approach shots

Hit 9 over , dad hit 16 over, brother in law 23 over ... Sounds like the old man still has it? Na me and the brother in law questioned his counting at dinner (just us out with my wife and My sister lol) giving himself putts from ages away lol

Proper putt for dough if you can just give yourself a 4 footer lol

But hey we all had one par at least and I had a birdie so was happy lol
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

5th in a charity golf day at theydon Bois today

33 points

21 going out but fell apart on back.. mainly cuz group in front was so slow (let it bother me / stiffed my back up waiting)

However good day out
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

6 way play off about to begin in Greensboro at the Wyndham Championship

Should be fun
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Playing Garon Park today - hoping to dodge the showers. Not been playing that well at the moment either so hope for some improvement
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Garon Park is a decent course. Links feel to it. My pal had his 4th round there and is a 28 handicap. He got 3 pars and a birdie !!
chelmsfordhammer91

Playing at Woodbridge in Ipswich on Saturday with my coach. Played once before, has a proper traditional vibe.

Visitor green fee is 90 quid, as they only really want members there, but luckily I ain't paying!