The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Range balls?

edit: I hate it when that happens Headbanger I must check post number in future :rofl:

Are they range ball distances? Our range has Toptracer which is calibrated for 90% range balls, but distances to targets are 'real'. It's weird when you hit a 130 yard target and it gives your distance as 145 yards.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:33 am Well done mate.

That's always the way, i usually shoot between 20-26 but hit a 17 over the other week and still was beating myself up about 4-5 shots I could have saved.

18 holes is a lot of golf to get right and be consistent over. That's what I remind myself when I have a bad hole.

We got trackman stuff down the range now (little channels). My coach says they have been configured right but the distances seem off. I hit a PW over the 100 yard green and it came out saying 92 yards carry. Similar with a 7 iron. On the course it is my 150 yard club, but on the trackman says only 125 carry which is miles off (well, 25 yards if you want to be pedantic).
Played today hit 35 points.. however from hole 5-9 I went on a run of 3 putts and completely ruined what could have been a lot better

Played so well again just those putts those 3 holes

Blobbed 2 aswell aha
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:52 am ^^^^Range balls?

edit: I hate it when that happens Headbanger I must check post number in future :rofl:

Are they range ball distances? Our range has Toptracer which is calibrated for 90% range balls, but distances to targets are 'real'. It's weird when you hit a 130 yard target and it gives your distance as 145 yards.
Yes, they were range balls but my coach said they did loads of testing and they were as long as proper balls, just lower spin numbers.

I don't really believe it myself, but it's still a nice little gimmick with approach challenges and leaderboards etc.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Played Warley for first time in a charity day..

Won't be rushing back

I mean some interesting holes.. can forgive how dry etc. However the course seemed dangerous

4 "please wait for bell" holes.. some close to others.. (how do you know which bell??) 8 blind tee shots .. plenty of places to get backed up waiting for people

Fairways very close .. think ended up dodging 3 balls lol

39 points wasn't a bad offering for first time there. Still not enough to get cut any cut on WHS just replaces the same score differential but a lot sooner
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Bad Golfers Society

Post by The Straw »

Any other pretty bad golfers on here? (Or if there are any good ones, some sage advice would be welcome!)

Today I played at Cranham which is a pretty easy course, par 67 (although I make it look a lot more difficult). But I shot my best round to date. Went round in 89. I'm quite new to golf, probably only played about 15/20 rounds so far. I don't have a full set yet, I still need to get a sand wedge and a 3 Iron :crylol:

I know it's a bit marmite and a lot of people don't like it. But thought it might be good to have a thread to share our experiences, similar to the running thread.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Re: Bad Golfers Society

I'll get in before this is moved to the Golf Thread :grin: 89 is not too shabby at all. You don't need a 3 iron, get a hybrid instead. Much easier to use and more versatile. For a sand wedge I'd go for something like a Callaway Sure-Out. The big sole and high bounce will help you slide it through the sand and under the ball.

There a few of us on here, some play Cranham so you may be able to get a round with a fellow :kumb: member.
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

I didn't realise there was already a golf thread! Apologies to the mods.

Thanks JBB - I reckon I can stretch to a Sure-Out. The name alone sold it to me. Defo would be up for a round with a fellow poster :newthumb:
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

I ditched the 3 and 4 iron when I got fitted for my last set, and have filled the gaps with hybrids. On a good day I can hit my fitted 5 iron easily as far, if not more than what I ever hit with previous clubs. They clearly weren't for me at all and having something suited to me which are more forgiving has been a god send.

Also 89 is good! I haven't broken 90 yet and recently taken a dip. Golf is so bloody frustrating. But so bloody good too.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Looking to get some golf lessons for my birthday (need to learn how to hit a driver and not slice it!).

Anyone in here recommend anyone in the kent area, maybe as far as the kent/surrey, kent/Essex boarder (but ideally within Kent).

Ideally somewhere with video/swing analysis as well, not just done “by eye”.

Cheers
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Star of Youtube Danny Maude is at Canterbury, he gives private lessons. I've no idea what he charges though...
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

This thread has been a bit quiet of late. How's everyone getting on with their game? Mine has been a bit hit and miss this year. Played some pretty good stuff (for my level of ability, low :-D) and seemed to have regressed a bit lately and become a lot more inconsistent. Best thing about my game is that I'm usually fairly consistent and a lot of my bad shots aren't too terrible. My world handicap went down to 12.1, now back to 12.6. Hopefully I'll improve on it again, though as we're now coming into Autumn It's probably unlikely to get better till next Spring. The course will be playing longer etc and conditions just less favourable.

I treated myself to a new West Ham driver headcover yesterday, bought it online, haven't got it yet but looks quality. Might interest a few of you. Bought from https://caddyclubgolf.com/headcovers/ Not an advert by the way!

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:02 am This thread has been a bit quiet of late. How's everyone getting on with their game? Mine has been a bit hit and miss this year. Played some pretty good stuff (for my level of ability, low :-D) and seemed to have regressed a bit lately and become a lot more inconsistent. Best thing about my game is that I'm usually fairly consistent and a lot of my bad shots aren't too terrible. My world handicap went down to 12.1, now back to 12.6. Hopefully I'll improve on it again, though as we're now coming into Autumn It's probably unlikely to get better till next Spring. The course will be playing longer etc and conditions just less favourable.

I treated myself to a new West Ham driver headcover yesterday, bought it online, haven't got it yet but looks quality. Might interest a few of you. Bought from https://caddyclubgolf.com/headcovers/ Not an advert by the way!

I'm glad to see they have brought those type back, I have the west ham ones from a few years ago that you can't get anywhere now.. one on my driver and one of hybrids .. they have the new logo and are claret and blue very classy. I had a 3 wood one and when I sold my 3 wood I got £30 for the head cover! I paid £25 for it ...

Anyways games been ok

August is always a dull month for me as kids off school plus vacancies at work but everyone takes leave as the kids are off so coverage is thin.. extra shifts left right and centre
. Golf gets pushed out until September

Played once 6th August ..just managed to scrape 33 ponts

Didn't play again until 31st played better 36 points

Then played Monday just gone 42 points

Nice rest always better than practice lol

That and not losing a ball is always good

Speaking of WHS after that 42 points the cut was only 0.5

One thing that was annoying me was my driver had been for about a year fantastic. Straight and 20 yards longer than before. I've developed either a push or a hook when prob trying to correct the push. Rather than what was My consistent baby draw
hessa

Post by hessa »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:14 am I'm glad to see they have brought those type back, I have the west ham ones from a few years ago that you can't get anywhere now.. one on my driver and one of hybrids .. they have the new logo and are claret and blue very classy. I had a 3 wood one and when I sold my 3 wood I got £30 for the head cover! I paid £25 for it ...

Anyways games been ok

August is always a dull month for me as kids off school plus vacancies at work but everyone takes leave as the kids are off so coverage is thin.. extra shifts left right and centre
. Golf gets pushed out until September

Played once 6th August ..just managed to scrape 33 ponts

Didn't play again until 31st played better 36 points

Then played Monday just gone 42 points

Nice rest always better than practice lol

That and not losing a ball is always good

Speaking of WHS after that 42 points the cut was only 0.5

One thing that was annoying me was my driver had been for about a year fantastic. Straight and 20 yards longer than before. I've developed either a push or a hook when prob trying to correct the push. Rather than what was My consistent baby draw
Yeah, I'd been looking for a West Ham headcover for along time and hadn't been any available. Quite why the club don't sell them I don't know.

Sounds like you're playing well. I could probably do with a break from it myself. I played Saturday and was absolutely awful. Not sure how many points, but guess mid 20's! Played yesterday and a lot better, got 35 points and lipped out a lot of putts so could have been a lot better.

Feel your pain, my driver has always been my most consistent club, but seem to have become a lot more inconsistent with it lately. Probably not helped by always trying to tweak my swing in the hope of improving, longer, better shot shape etc! Ah well, never seem to learn! :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:34 am Yeah, I'd been looking for a West Ham headcover for along time and hadn't been any available. Quite why the club don't sell them I don't know.

Sounds like you're playing well. I could probably do with a break from it myself. I played Saturday and was absolutely awful. Not sure how many points, but guess mid 20's! Played yesterday and a lot better, got 35 points and lipped out a lot of putts so could have been a lot better.

Feel your pain, my driver has always been my most consistent club, but seem to have become a lot more inconsistent with it lately. Probably not helped by always trying to tweak my swing in the hope of improving, longer, better shot shape etc! Ah well, never seem to learn! :lol:
yeah the club used to sell them when I got mine, other clubs had them aswell (spurs, liverpool , man united ) just with their badge and colours. Seemed good quality .. got my wife to get them for me "from the kids" as xmas and bday presents over the years lol

got 2 comps in 2 days this week so im betting for around the 30 points mark , just shame at our club we play all the comps off the blacks which makes the course much longer coupled with the wind and style of course it just needs a shot a few yards off line and your punished.. least the next day its a society at brentwood which Is much less punishing lol
hessa

Post by hessa »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:00 am yeah the club used to sell them when I got mine, other clubs had them aswell (spurs, liverpool , man united ) just with their badge and colours. Seemed good quality .. got my wife to get them for me "from the kids" as xmas and bday presents over the years lol

got 2 comps in 2 days this week so im betting for around the 30 points mark , just shame at our club we play all the comps off the blacks which makes the course much longer coupled with the wind and style of course it just needs a shot a few yards off line and your punished.. least the next day its a society at brentwood which Is much less punishing lol
Good luck with the comps. 30 points is decent, figure you've never played too badly if you hit
30 points or over. Just never know how you're going to play on the day. It's always tough playing of the back tees, particualry in a compettion as it adds to the pressure. Sounds like Brentwood is the one you should be aiming for :newthumb:
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

I've only been able to play once since I last posted around 3 weeks ago. Started a new job and have a 14 month old daughter so it's tricky to disappear for 4 or 5 hours :crossed: Played Cranham last week. As always! Same old clubs. This time shot a 97 and not an 89. And that's only because I somehow parred the final 3 holes otherwise it would have been an absolute horror show. Still, at least I know what I need to do to improve: Get a lesson or two, go and hit some balls over at the Moby Dick golf range and get a couple of new clubs. Defo a Sure-Out seeing as i'm bang into bunkers at the moment. Bloody love it though.

Any good pay and play courses people could recommend? I'm Gidea Park and can't travel too far.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

The Straw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:03 am I've only been able to play once since I last posted around 3 weeks ago. Started a new job and have a 14 month old daughter so it's tricky to disappear for 4 or 5 hours :crossed: Played Cranham last week. As always! Same old clubs. This time shot a 97 and not an 89. And that's only because I somehow parred the final 3 holes otherwise it would have been an absolute horror show. Still, at least I know what I need to do to improve: Get a lesson or two, go and hit some balls over at the Moby Dick golf range and get a couple of new clubs. Defo a Sure-Out seeing as i'm bang into bunkers at the moment. Bloody love it though.

Any good pay and play courses people could recommend? I'm Gidea Park and can't travel too far.
To be fair most of the area is pay and play

Hainault is ok
Brentwood decent
Hartswood decent
Romford is ok bit crammed in
Top meadow is great value but course is a bit meh
Maylands always been pretty good
Mardyke is ok
Belhus is cheap and cheerful
South Essex is decent
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Well a consistent 0 points in both events this week after withdrawing the night before the first one

The kids picked up a nasty vomiting bug , one down on Tuesday then eldest Tuesday night without seeing her sister
So must have had it in their system ..

Took me out later that night until this morning and Mrs is just about over it after a day in bed

What a waste of a nice few days off lol

Youngest twin didn't get it tho.. so watching her like a hawk lol

Even took out the in-laws who had the twins Tuesday

Vicious lol
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Managed to hit my handicap and score 36 points yesterday for the first time ever (I am playing off 36 mind as I am still quite new!). Went round the purple course at Farleigh. The greens were some of the best you will find in the country!!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

managed to get myself better for the midweek 18 hole comp

32 points.. played some fantastic golf and some awful golf , was hilarious.

went something like

Bogey
Par
Par
Bogey (Good start)
Triple
Double
Triple (terrible spell)
Par
Double

Par (boom)
Triple
Double
Triple (awful spell)
Par (back on it)
Triple
Triple (for crying out loud)
Birdie
Par (finished strong)

however my PP had just hit two sub 80s in a week (for first time) 9.5 index .. 40 points (78) and a cut to 8.8 by looks

impressive