The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 pm Congratulations :newthumb: Next stop 90, talking of which this hour long video takes you through the mental/thinking/realistic way to break 90. He's a Lithuanian amateur with a South African accent who lives in Thailand. His videos are also very good, and not one contains a magic swing cure. They're all about accepting who you are and getting the most out of yourself.

I love that video tbf
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Been struggling with a knee injury since march

Took a break, only been playing 9 holes walking

Did an 18 in a buggy at crews hill

34 points in whs , 32 off my society handicap .. however 7 pen shots didn't help lol the out of bounds round there is mental! One path next to a par 5 green I hit the green...rolled onto the path.. which is OOB 2 shot pen back onto the rough .. where as was looking at chipping back and trying to save par

Played 9 Tuesday couldn't get anything going until the last 3 with bogey par par

It's weird I don't feel my knee (left lead knee so takes the weight) when hitting the ball but walking was doing me

Didn't help the knee brace kept working down and hurting it lol

Roll on next week
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I played yesterday, my round was ruined in the first few holes by not being able to hit my driver. I was trying too hard to knock the dimples off and pulling it so far left you wouldn't believe. I kept telling myself it would get better on the next hole but of course it didn't. Eventually I started teeing off with a five iron, the longest in my bag. What a transformation! High, straight and long. I measured one with my GPS at 178 yards (I'm 66, 5'8" and less than 10 stone). Even though the ball was only teed up about a quarter of an inch it made a massive difference. I could still reach the back of the green on most of the par fours with two shots, the same as using a properly hit driver.

It's given me food for thought. I need to sort out my driver, and power bats would be nice Image

I hope the knee reccovers in time for the KUMB Golf Day which has been mooted.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:47 pm I played yesterday, my round was ruined in the first few holes by not being able to hit my driver. I was trying too hard to knock the dimples off and pulling it so far left you wouldn't believe. I kept telling myself it would get better on the next hole but of course it didn't. Eventually I started teeing off with a five iron, the longest in my bag. What a transformation! High, straight and long. I measured one with my GPS at 178 yards (I'm 66, 5'8" and less than 10 stone). Even though the ball was only teed up about a quarter of an inch it made a massive difference. I could still reach the back of the green on most of the par fours with two shots, the same as using a properly hit driver.

It's given me food for thought. I need to sort out my driver, and power bats would be nice Image

I hope the knee reccovers in time for the KUMB Golf Day which has been mooted.
If i can get a buggy i can easily play as the golf itself has been fine just the walking i seem to struggle

I think it will be ok though because its the thigh thats tight.. once that gives i should be back to normal.. sunday monday I took the twins out for a 3.5 mile walk each day so thats 7 miles walked.. it ached a bit but was ok.. I think the knee support just did what I didnt need..

defo get yourself a lesson with driver if you struggle.. I had one lesson with it and since then I have really been straighter than ever..

I mean im not a long hitter and its helping
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Played today and left the driver in the bag, didn't touch it at all. 5 iron off the tee each time, scored 14 shots better than last time. I definitely need a driver lesson, to hit those fairways further down.
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

The Kumb Golf Day is still in the organising phase i.e. I've been so busy at work the last few months I've not had time to properly sit down and work out the logistics.

Now the year end finance chaos has finished and the football season is coming to an end I will step up my efforts to organise something,

Somewhere in Essex, some time in July is what I'm aiming for.

Played a few times over the last few month, had a great round, a bad round and then managed to hit my driver 260 yards on the 18th hole at Epping after playing like a moose for the previous 17 holes. I parred the hole so always good to finish on a high.

Got a few rounds booked up before heading to The Belfry in July.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Played John o'groats golf club yesterday, lovely

Went out in 17, back in 14

Solid 31 points. Would have won but last 4 holes driver decided that the 230 straight bombs I been hitting all day would turn into 80 yard worm burners

Should have taken the hint after 2 holes and taken my hybrid as that was still flying

Oh well .. enjoyable

The Essex next society day
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Home course today for midweek comp

Think managed 24 points

I just couldn't score well but I was driving well and some great shots

However main thing it's the first 18 hole walking I've done since I did my knee and it feels ok.

So small baby steps
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Played Garon park last week. Course was in great nick.

Blobbed the first but still got 18 points on the front and then 19 on the back. Happy with that. Handicap went out to 23 now it’s at 21 after that round.

Playing Maylands Thursday and then toot hill Saturday.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 am Played Garon park last week. Course was in great nick.

Blobbed the first but still got 18 points on the front and then 19 on the back. Happy with that. Handicap went out to 23 now it’s at 21 after that round.

Playing Maylands Thursday and then toot hill Saturday.
One thing I hate about WHS is the 95% bull rubbish in comps

So off yellows is 22 for me normally (index 21 something) whites is the comp so 23 ...woo that will help with the added length .. but wait 95% back down to 22 .. for crying.. lol
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Got my swing back!

Haven't played that well the last couple of weeks, but been scoring pretty decent for me. Had a 19, 21 and some 23s, and that is with either some dodgy driving or in the first round some terrible putting (even had a four putt!).

Looking forward to working on it over summer and just trying to enjoy the game. These summers don't last long, then we are back to wearing half a dozen layers, playing in either rain, wind and/or snow.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:41 pm Got my swing back!

Haven't played that well the last couple of weeks, but been scoring pretty decent for me. Had a 19, 21 and some 23s, and that is with either some dodgy driving or in the first round some terrible putting (even had a four putt!).

Looking forward to working on it over summer and just trying to enjoy the game. These summers don't last long, then we are back to wearing half a dozen layers, playing in either rain, wind and/or snow.
Better scores in winter sometimes

Drives stay on the fairway due to no run

As oppose being 20-30 yards further than expected but in trouble now they rolled lol
psychoscoredthelot

Played belfairs yesterday. Shot an 88. 21 points on front 17 points back.

Hope I can keep this form up for the summer.

Toot Hill tomorrow
psychoscoredthelot

Shot a 98 over toot hill Saturday. Greens were tough. Lightning quick. One of the best courses in Essex though I reckon.

I hit a shot out of the bunker that spun back and stopped 3 feet from the hole. Felt like a pro
Johnny Byrne's Boots

even in a round of '98 over' :winker: , just one shot like that is enough to send you home smiling :newthumb:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 pm even in a round of '98 over' :winker: , just one shot like that is enough to send you home smiling :newthumb:
That's why I never can understand those who can walk off the course and hate the game

There is always one shot you can hold onto as yes I caught that one.. or I did fantastic to score from that position

Even if not scoring well you can hit some brilliant shots or score well when playing rubbish

That's what people need to remember it's all about ! Enjoy the time outside away from the kids and work lol
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

All change down ingrebourne as of today

Red tees are gone for good

Replaced with

Yellows (tee of day) 6187 yards
White (members) 6633 yards
Black (championship) 7122 yards

Basically yellows replace red and guests encouraged off the yellows .. less complaints that we are too long and difficult

Members comps off the old yellows , championships off the old whites
Johnny Byrne's Boots

The blacks average 395 per hole :shocker:

That's a serious course for club golfers.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:27 pm The blacks average 395 per hole :shocker:

That's a serious course for club golfers.

This is our course record I believe

Some tour pro from challenge tour I think

Anyways , I prefer the yellows (new whites) the old whites (blacks) are sometimes a slog with the wind

I can't wait to play the new yellows (reds) it's going to be a different animal .. the par 3s won't be such a bugger
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Do love a match play

Played My mate yesterday

1 up through 1

4 down after 5 lol

1 down after 9

Thought on it .

Level bogey through 10-15 .... But then couldn't win.. he was level par lol only 1 over through the back .. shocking