The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

Harlow Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:28 pm KUMB Golf Society - June 2022

I thinking of arranging a golf society day for KUMB members @ Canons Brook Golf Club in Harlow around June time

http://www.canonsbrook.com/Home.aspx

Cost would be £50 per person or £200 for a four ball (doesn't have to be all LUMB members, would even allow a few Spurs fans to be ridiculed on the course)

The day would consist of......

Bacon Roll and Coffee on arrival
18 holes (stableford scoring), including nearest the pin and longest drive comps
Lunch, something like ham, egg and chips

I will look into getting some prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and longest dive nearest the pin. Hopefully will be able to get some things to auction off or do a raffle and donate proceeds to a charity.

So, few of questions....
1) Is the venue location ok, not far off the M11?
2) Is the cost ok? - Costs are based on a Friday, but cheaper during the week
3) June ok (I would assume holidays come into play end of July/August)?

If DL is about I will ask if he wants to be the official photographer for the day in return for raising money for his charity of choice!

If people are up for it I might look at getting polos shirts with KUMB logo on (subject to the boss' agreement) for the day (and future events)

Might also look at getting sponsors for the hole, with all proceeds going to charity.
depends on the day itself but june is looking better than some months (so long as its not my wifes bday lol)

location is fine, price is reasonable defo

handicap wise will you want us off our WHS index or the course handicap? there is actually 4 shot difference at canons brook apparently off the yellows lol.. crazy system.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

upload images

Beautiful morning this morning

Quick 9 holes after work 16 points. Course in excellent condition considering the rain

Now time to go bed
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

I played Brentwood Sunday and the course was in good nick.

Awful front 9 - 10points
Very good back 9- 18 points

Happy with that considering how cold it was
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

awful round down ingrebourne yest, 22 points total lol just couldnt get going

apart from a few puddles the course is in excellent condition though

enjoyable walk
psychoscoredthelot
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Played Garon Park on Sunday and beat my pal for the first time in a while. Played ok considering I snap hooked about 6 tee shots. I was 2 points up on him heading down the last. Played safe and took an iron off the tee leaving me 120 to the flag. Topped it 30 yards. Then stuck my next shot in the drink. Went to the drop zone and then stuck my next in the drink too. Blobbed it.

My pal then ****ed it up too and got a double bogey. So I still won by a point but I did my best to try and let him win !!
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Played Hainault Upper Course on Friday... scored 27 points off of 14 in our society, so not too shabby for the first round since Xmas Eve.

I must say the greens were great... fast and rolling true. The rest of the course was just ok, which you expect this time of year but really impressed with the greens.
dave_l
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Finally broke 100 today (98) after a round with a mate at Pedham Place near Swanley. I liked the whole inland links thing and it's surprisingly quiet despite being located next to the M25/M20 junction. My putting was what got me under 100. Lots seemed to go in today. Slowing it down and measuring things out a bit more.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Congratulations :newthumb: Next stop 90, talking of which this hour long video takes you through the mental/thinking/realistic way to break 90. He's a Lithuanian amateur with a South African accent who lives in Thailand. His videos are also very good, and not one contains a magic swing cure. They're all about accepting who you are and getting the most out of yourself.

kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Has anyone here ever taken out specific golf insurance that covers a hole in 1 bar bill?

Got a little golf trip planned abroad soon and just wondering how I go about getting the right insurance. I already get travel insurance with my bank, but from what I could see it doesn’t include holes in 1 (even though I am 99.999999999% certain I won’t get a hole in one).
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:37 pm Has anyone here ever taken out specific golf insurance that covers a hole in 1 bar bill?

Got a little golf trip planned abroad soon and just wondering how I go about getting the right insurance. I already get travel insurance with my bank, but from what I could see it doesn’t include holes in 1 (even though I am 99.999999999% certain I won’t get a hole in one).
You should get it included with any standard golf insurance, but check the small print as some need video evidence of the shot for it to be claimed.

Mine covers the bar bill up to £200, but like you say is so unlikely to happen. (i think i read somewhere it is a 1-50,000 chance of an amateur getting a hole in one, not sure if that was the chance on that hole or across your lifetime).
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Most club memberships include general golf insurance (ball through windscreen type of things) including hole in one bar bills. When I was a club member I read the small print, always worthwhile, and it had to have been in an official competition and they wanted a copy of the scorecard. That would rule out one made in a social round.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

Going for a round tomorrow on a 18 hole course for the 1st time in about 20 years. Had 3 new clubs and a new bag delivered this morning to try and look the part! Went to a local driving range yesterday to get some practice, hit two baskets of balls but the range could only provide me with some of the lower clubs. Only used a 6 and 9 iron but reckon I hit 90% decent shots out of all the balls so was well chuffed. Hopefully I can take that onto the course tomorrow 🤞.
Have had a go on a 9 hole course which had a few par 4's and 5's, every summer for the last 3 years while away on holiday, but the course I'll be playing tomorrow is a different beast altogether. Used to do ok on the front 9, then it all used to go tits up on the back 9. Hoping I can break the curse and shoot my best score tomorrow!
Johnny Byrne's Boots

You can do it!

Don't automatically pull out the driver, think about where you want to play your next shot from to give you the best chance of getting safely on the green. Anywhere on the green.

Also remember there are no hero shots, only stupid shots.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

Alternatively,
Hit Driver on every hole, as hard as you can.
Always go for the hero shot, never play safe.
You will probably only hit one good drive and one decent iron, but you can boast about them for ever and those two shots will make you want to play again.
Plus you can spend the rest of your golfing life, believing that one day you will play a whole round only playing those great shots and you could one day be a scratch golfer.
Thereby committing yourself to a life of golfing disappointment and confirming your natural affinity as a West Ham fan.
Here endeth the lesson.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:44 pm You can do it!

Don't automatically pull out the driver, think about where you want to play your next shot from to give you the best chance of getting safely on the green. Anywhere on the green.

Also remember there are no hero shots, only stupid shots.
Hope so mate :fxd: . I was always reluctant to use a Driver or any wood back in the day because my shots with those type of clubs used to go so wayward it put me off using them. My favourite club is a 5 iron, 8 times out of 10 I'll hit a decent shot with that club, and will automatically use that for my opening shot tomorrow.
But funnily enough, two of the club's I bought this week was a Driver and a 5 wood, will have to use the Driver on some of the longer holes if I want to get my score down. Course I'm playing is Earlswood which overlooks Swansea Bay, couple of testing holes there, especially on the back 9 which was the downfall of all of my scorecards back in the day 😠 One of the holes has you hitting across a ravine, daunting enough just putting the tee in the ground on that hole :grin:
Bought a 5W because I hired some clubs when I played on one of my aforementioned holidays two years ago. To my dismay, there wasn't a 5 iron in the bag, but a 5W instead. But incredibly when I used it, I pretty much hit every shot with that club true and straight. Hoping for more of the same tomorrow.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

thosewerethedays wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:32 pm Alternatively,
You will probably only hit one good drive and one decent iron, but you can boast about them for ever and those two shots will make you want to play again.
Plus you can spend the rest of your golfing life, believing that one day you will play a whole round only playing those great shots and you could one day be a scratch golfer.
Thereby committing yourself to a life of golfing disappointment and confirming your natural affinity as a West Ham fan.
Here endeth the lesson.
:crylol: Perhaps I'll do that if I have an unassailable lead after the front 9 :winker:
Row X

Post by Row X »

thosewerethedays wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:32 pm Alternatively,
Here endeth the lesson.
:scarfer:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Have had a knee injury since 1st week march

We thought it was a cartilage tear so was preparing for an op assessing options

The MRI came back saying whilst the symtoms are the same as a cartilage tear it was actually a severe muscle strain around the knee

So today returned for the 9 hole comp

Hit 14 points , knee didn't hinder me for sure

Parred the 1st which was great

Didn't carry on for extra 2 holes after the comp as didn't want to push my luck with it

Slow build up back

Next week is society event at crews hill, I've got a buggy booked as I don't think it's up to the walk yet

But the progress is defo there
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Played on Saturday (6.45am tee time) so was still frozen out.

Had an absolute meltdown of a front 9, i was 11 over after 3 holes and 24 over after 9 (including a par!).

I've had really big problems with my swing since November, completely losing all feeling and just can't hit anywhere near to where I was (20 ish HC).

Fortunately, the back 9 was much better and finished on 32 over, which I was actually happy with in the end all things considering.

The swing was coming back, very slowly, but with what I am working on in my lessons it should put me on a solid foundation moving forward. Pretty much all came down to not letting the left side hip continue to rotate once i had reached my last parallel (when the club is parallel to the ground on the downswing). Took a while to get my strike back but it's getting there.

So strange though, as for about 4 months i couldn't hit the ball at all, everything a low hook, no feeling at all. But last year I was smashing my 7 iron 180 and everything going tip top.

Was genuinely worried I had developed some form of yips that would plague my golf forever.
Row X

Post by Row X »

I think you go through that at least once with this game, but it all depends on your mentality to come through it.

Considering how bad your front 9 was, the fact you were carrying on is a good sign in that department.

I had a spell similar a few years ago, after I broke my little finger on my right hand, I had no feeling for the club and strike at all, as my hands were just sending me pain signals from the finger. I was thinking the same, I'd play like this for the rest of my life. After about 6 months I could feel the club again but I had developed so many bad habits! So now my main thought processes over the ball are, slow it down, keep head down and make sure you push your left hip through the ball... the last one is just to get me rotating properly on the downswing. It's coming back slowly and there are still some mad moments but that's golf anyway.