The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Supreme »

I am playing Top Meadow again Friday evening, looking forward to it.
Played Ingrebourne Par 3 on Sunday - found it quite tough for a par 3, all short holes but greens are positioned quite tricky and with the ground being so hard I was bouncing off the green constantly.

Thinking of becoming a member at Top Meadow - my brother in law plays there so I would already know him and a few of his mates that play there regularly. I would be eligible for the 18-35 membership they do which is great value at £52 a month compared to anyone else around
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Supreme wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:51 am I am playing Top Meadow again Friday evening, looking forward to it.
Played Ingrebourne Par 3 on Sunday - found it quite tough for a par 3, all short holes but greens are positioned quite tricky and with the ground being so hard I was bouncing off the green constantly.

Thinking of becoming a member at Top Meadow - my brother in law plays there so I would already know him and a few of his mates that play there regularly. I would be eligible for the 18-35 membership they do which is great value at £52 a month compared to anyone else around
there is no questioning the value of TM .. I was a member for couple of years and the value is never in question.. the quality of the course isnt the best but for £52 a month you really cant go wrong

our 7 day membership (ingrebourne) is going up to £150 plus a £550 joining fee .. still getting good value for me as I live only 15 mins away so play twice a week but wonder how high it will go when the next 9 opens
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm played top meadow on Sunday - so busy had to do the front 9 twice

think the front 9 is harder than the back so was more than happy with my 35 points
ooo I have to disagree there.. the par 5 is reachable in 2 on the front (3rd hole) because its pure down hill.. where as the back 9 the SI 1 is blooming hard.. internal OOB aswell and plus 3 monster par 5s make it a tough ask
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Didn't see this coming:-

PGA Tour and LIV agree merger
The PGA Tour has agreed a shock deal to merge with Saudi Arabian-backed rival circuit LIV Golf in a deal that will end the split in the sport.

The surprise announcement comes after a year of unprecedented disruption in the men's game following the launch of the breakaway LIV Golf circuit.

More to follow.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:28 pm ooo I have to disagree there.. the par 5 is reachable in 2 on the front (3rd hole) because its pure down hill.. where as the back 9 the SI 1 is blooming hard.. internal OOB aswell and plus 3 monster par 5s make it a tough ask
the time before last i played the back 9 better than the front - so thats why i said that - have to take your word for it as ive only played it twice in the last 5 years
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:31 pm the time before last i played the back 9 better than the front - so thats why i said that - have to take your word for it as ive only played it twice in the last 5 years
I spent too many times ruining myself on the 10th lol I was a member for 2 years and hated that hole prob why my bias

It's a tough course tho, sometimes unnecessary tough
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:28 pm Didn't see this coming:-

PGA Tour and LIV agree merger
Nor did the players .. judging by their reactions
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Wow.

Really did not see the PGA/LIV merger.

Will be interesting to see how it's set up but the PGA certainly were cacking their pants with LIV.

I won't be surprised to see some sort of promotion/relegation type thing from the top 120 odd players staying as effectively a new PGA, and a second tier that would replicate most of the DP tour.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Pretty sure McIlroy will be seething, as will the rest of the PGA tour that didn't take the cash...
Must have lost out on 100+ mil if Johnson's deal is anything to go by...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Are we to assume that Saudi PIF money is no longer dripping with blood?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Golf is in the gutter.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Disgusting, cowardly stuff.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

It all rather stinks

McIlroy apparently involved in some heated exchanges already and due to give a news conference later today
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:15 am Golf is in the gutter.
Golf is in a hole.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Scores and handicap been going in the wrong direction however strike and lessons been going the right direction.

I had a thumb injury (still Do a bit) over the winter which didnt help but I've gone drastically out to in with an open face. We all know that's awful for golf

Been working with my coach, irons and hybrid got back on track, had a short game lesson the other week.. chipped in the next round lol so least I'm getting the idea of what he says.

Litterally just the driver was costing me, I could put away I use hybrids (I do in comps ATM) but I want to get it working again

Driver lesson today, really got the path in to out with a much more closed face

Went from an awful high fade that landed 180 and stopped (the best ones) to a carry of 200 with 30 yards of roll (and much straighter)

See if I can get it all together for Sunday
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

Just got a custom fitted set of irons

Callaway Rogue ST OS

Not everyone’s cup of tea as they have quite chunky top line. Very much game improvement clubs.

I’m more than happy with them. Feel great when I hit them. Having to club down though as I’m hitting them 20/30 yards further.

Changed from my driver to 3 wood off the tee and that goes a lot straighter and around the same distance so sticking with that for a bit.

Played on Saturday and only managed 9 holes. Why my club lets societies go out early morning at the weekends before members. I guess money talks.

Played Forest of Arden the other week. Excellent coursed on site.

Off to France in September for a couple of rounds.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Today was decent, at a lose end. Managed to tag along with the swindle

Now im a member of said swindle

Weds and fri they play

Tuesday and thurs my mates play

Just need mondays now then i have options every rest day
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Bought a new driver head the other day

I used to play cobra speedzone Xtreme 10.5 cranked down to 9.5, my pro says cranking down opens the face slightly so a lower lofted head will suit me better and crank up the loft to close the face slightly

So i found a speedzone normal in 9 degree

Got it set 10 degree offset for draw

Had some lovely drives with it at the range

Decided to regrip it myself after to get the alignment of the grip back. Not bad took 30 mins (tape took forever to get off the shaft)

Considering my last round was 36 points with god awful drives (wedges were outstanding) ill be happy with back to average 34 points with the nice flighted drives
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Hannah Holden (one of the better youtube golf channels), twenty minutes with Scottie Scheffler's driver fitter. As you say, a ten degree driver cranked down to eight is not the same as an eight degree driver.

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 pm Hannah Holden (one of the better youtube golf channels), twenty minutes with Scottie Scheffler's driver fitter. As you say, a ten degree driver cranked down to eight is not the same as an eight degree driver.

Yeah the flight of this 9 cranked to 10 is so different to when Ive got the 10.5 in standard

Interesting to learn about it all
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

How's everyone's golf going?
I'd hoped to lower my handicap this summer, hasn't happened as yet and my golf has been erratic. One week playing really well and steady scoring, then next week spraying it around all over the place and not knowing where tee shots are going to go. Off the tee is usually a pretty relliable part of my game, seemingly not so much lately!
Having some lessons and the pro identified a few flaws I need to work on fixing and I'm hoping this will get me back on track. What a frustrating game it can be! :crylol: