The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

The main technological improvements to irons have been making more of the face the 'sweet spot' and balancing club head weight better.

Game improvement irons and cavity back clubs tend to have a large amount of the club head weight on the sole, whereas blades have a more even weight distribution.

Lofts are a bit ridiculous nowadays l, my Callaway Mavrik irons have a 7 iron with 27 degrees loft. I think the PW is 40!

I'm with mumbles on this, I'd rather just have the lofts on the club rather than a number, as it is all arbitrary otherwise and just induces confusion.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Lofts make an interesting discussion. The forums and youtube are always being asked "Why do my longer clubs all go the same distance?", the answer seems to be "Your swing speed doesn't get them high enough." Yet super/game improvement irons have steadily strengthened lofts which would seem to be counter productive. What helps is the repositioning of mass, which does a good job of getting the ball in the air with slower swings speeds. It's got to the stage now where manufacturers are now offering as their most forgiving, high handicap orientated clubs 'High Launch' versions, with higher lofts. An admission they may have gone too far with lowering lofts?

If anyone is considering new clubs I would highly recommend a proper fitting. I was sure I would need a senior flex shaft, with my advancing years and general enfeeblement, but £20k+ of monitoring equipment showed regular was the best fit. My iron swing speed of 72mph is bang in the middle of where senior and regular overlap. That 72mph is my playing swing speed, not an 'impress the fitter' speed which helps nobody. If you do go for a fitting, make your normal swing because that's the one you'll use on the course.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am Lofts make an interesting discussion. The forums and youtube are always being asked "Why do my longer clubs all go the same distance?", the answer seems to be "Your swing speed doesn't get them high enough." Yet super/game improvement irons have steadily strengthened lofts which would seem to be counter productive. What helps is the repositioning of mass, which does a good job of getting the ball in the air with slower swings speeds. It's got to the stage now where manufacturers are now offering as their most forgiving, high handicap orientated clubs 'High Launch' versions, with higher lofts. An admission they may have gone too far with lowering lofts?

If anyone is considering new clubs I would highly recommend a proper fitting. I was sure I would need a senior flex shaft, with my advancing years and general enfeeblement, but £20k+ of monitoring equipment showed regular was the best fit. My iron swing speed of 72mph is bang in the middle of where senior and regular overlap. That 72mph is my playing swing speed, not an 'impress the fitter' speed which helps nobody. If you do go for a fitting, make your normal swing because that's the one you'll use on the course.
I agree, my next set of clubs I will get fit for.

I bought Titleist 716 ap1s back in 2016 and no way will they get changed anytime soon. They still lovely to hit. Any issues are myself not them

When I'm like 50 or something (I'm 36 now) I might go full fit and treat myself and then like you say you want it right.

Guy I play with is new to the game. He is pretty good already

He got stealth irons think it was. Then went for fit.. came out same irons but longer cuz his height so sold them and got new ones in his spec as was cheaper than new shafts or extending them

His driver he got fit for last week he gone to XX Stiff .. unreal

But then again... We have played 4 rounds together now. Fellow member at ingrebourne.. round 1 he hit 114 but could tell when he connects he will be good

Round 2 102, round 3 100 then last week he hit 90... And back 9 he left about 4 shots out there ..

Included a lost ball and a complete hash of the 18th (a 7 instead of an easy bogey.. he was 70 yards short of green in 2)

His drives go 275 straight .. we measured his longest on my Garmin at 330

Don't you just hate people who are that good naturally!! Lol

Hammer tho, so I'll let it slide.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:03 am The main technological improvements to irons have been making more of the face the 'sweet spot' and balancing club head weight better.

Game improvement irons and cavity back clubs tend to have a large amount of the club head weight on the sole, whereas blades have a more even weight distribution.

Lofts are a bit ridiculous nowadays l, my Callaway Mavrik irons have a 7 iron with 27 degrees loft. I think the PW is 40!

I'm with mumbles on this, I'd rather just have the lofts on the club rather than a number, as it is all arbitrary otherwise and just induces confusion.
With my wedges they have printed 50 56 and 60, I know exactly that they are gw SW lw so it's not like I even second think them

That said I can hit them all 150 if I thin them just right
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:20 am Nice, glad that the new clubs are delivering for you. Sure it's making you keener to get out and play and see how much improement they can add to your game. I've been thinking about getting myself a new set of irons as i have had mine now about 12 years. I've held off as I figured that it's not my clubs holding me back more lack of ability! :crossed: But you make some good points that the newer clubs are giving better ball flight and it's not really just about adding distance etc. Cartainly something to think about. :thup:
Whilst tech moves on you can still hold back to say every 10 years and still not have that much noticeable drop, a good strike will always rule but they do improve mishits

Only clubs that need changing more often is wedges if your serious due to groves wearing out , even still can last year's
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Has anyone been watching Full Swing on Netflix. Well worth a watch. There are 8 episodes and I've seen 4 so far. It covers the 2022 PGA season and there is a fair bit of coverage of the emergence of LIV golf. It's a really interesting look behind the scenes and you get a bit of a glimpse into the lives of the top players and their incredible wealth and lifestyles etc. Some interesting footage with Koepka and he is very candid about his struggles with injury and loss of form etc. One of his quotes about his game/form, "when you've got it, you don't think you're ever going to lose it, when you haven't got it, you don't think you're ever going to get it back". Think anyone who plays the game at any standard can relate to that one.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:22 am Has anyone been watching Full Swing on Netflix. Well worth a watch. There are 8 episodes and I've seen 4 so far. It covers the 2022 PGA season and there is a fair bit of coverage of the emergence of LIV golf. It's a really interesting look behind the scenes and you get a bit of a glimpse into the lives of the top players and their incredible wealth and lifestyles etc. Some interesting footage with Koepka and he is very candid about his struggles with injury and loss of form etc. One of his quotes about his game/form, "when you've got it, you don't think you're ever going to lose it, when you haven't got it, you don't think you're ever going to get it back". Think anyone who plays the game at any standard can relate to that one.
fantastic series. even managed to get the wife to watch with me. she enjoyed it

great for golfers but enough there for non golfers to get an interest
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

my first round of the year went pretty well all things considered - front nine got 13 points - back nine got 19 points

was aching all over though as I havent picked a club up in 5 months

got a comp in a couple of weeks - 28 of us playing topmeadow - will be good fun although not a lover of the course to be fair
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:08 pm Technology has definitely moved on. Well pleased.
If I were to get back into golf, the hardest part would be splitting up with my Taylormade R300 irons and Titleist 975-JVS driver. I think I've probably got a few Titleist Professional 90's in the bag too.

To me it's still the newest, latest tech but in reality, over 20 years old. Or in the case of the balls, 30 :rofl:
psychoscoredthelot

Finished 5th out of 23 for the HX boys golf day at topmeadow on Saturday - i got 31 points - 3 way tie for 1st - all had 35 points

my team took the team event though which was nice

Longest drive was shared as the two fellas hit the exact same distance - which I have never seen before ever !
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

So Koepka, first current LIV player to win a major. Very impressive tournament from him and he kept his nerve in the last round to hole some crucial putts that if he's missed would have let Hovland/Scheffler back in.
Fair play to him the way he has come back after injury and being plagued by doubts as to whether he could compete at the top level anymore as highlighted in the Full Swing documentary.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Howdy Golfers

Posted in a few years back when I was starting out - like many of us, finding the time to play proves difficult with 2 young children and a busy work / family life.
Been slowly getting back into it, mainly just playing Par 3's with my old man who has never played. I'm still very much beginner but my ball striking is getting slowly better and more consistent.

Played Top Meadow last night (brother-in-law is a member there) - first time I've played a proper course for a few years. Managed to get in 13 holes before we started to lose the light. Felt I done ok - was close to a couple of pars (fluffed the putts) and generally was happy with how I played considered I'm still very much starting out and haven't played on a proper course for a few years. I struggle with yardage as don't hit a driver and am very hit and miss with my 3 wood / Hybrid. My shorter iron play has got better due to playing the Par 3s.

I just need to play more regularly as that is the only way I'll improve. May also invest a few more lessons (had 3 with the pro down at Little Channels a few years back when I first started out).

One question for people on here. I currently have this in the bag;

3 Wood
3 Hybrid
5 - 9 Iron
PW
52 degrees

I do own a driver but don't take it in the bag at the moment as just never got on with it and don't feel confident hitting it.
I feel like I need another wedge for in and around the greens. What is best to pair with a 52 degrees? Shall I go 60?
chelmsfordhammer91

I have lessons with Steve Cardy at Little Channels. I highly recommend him (and he is a hammer too!).
Supreme

Post by Supreme »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:31 am I have lessons with Steve Cardy at Little Channels. I highly recommend him (and he is a hammer too!).
I had previous lessons with Jason Livermore down there, who I thought was good, especially for my level. Kept it very basic.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Supreme wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:00 am ...................
One question for people on here. I currently have this in the bag;

3 Wood
3 Hybrid
5 - 9 Iron
PW
52 degrees

I do own a driver but don't take it in the bag at the moment as just never got on with it and don't feel confident hitting it.
I feel like I need another wedge for in and around the greens. What is best to pair with a 52 degrees? Shall I go 60?
Stay away from a 60. Find a 56 with at least 10 degrees of bounce or even better would be a sand wedge from a cavity back iron set, useful around the green and essential for bunkers. You could even look for something like a Callaway Sure Out for greenside bunkers. It's effectively a sand wedge with an elongated sole. Golfbidder are very good for used clubs and have excellent customer service. Don't be put off by condition ratings of 7 or 8, I've bought clubs like that and they'd pass for new.
Don't worry about the driver for now. You'll get your scores down quickest by improving on and around the green. You could do a lot worse than consider a chipper. Your playing partners may snigger, just point them to your scorecard :thup:

The Wilsons, Ben Sayers and MacGregors are fine. They're pretty much a putter with the loft of an 8 or 9 iron.
chelmsfordhammer91

Supreme wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 pm I had previous lessons with Jason Livermore down there, who I thought was good, especially for my level. Kept it very basic.
Yeah Jason was a 'real' professional golfer a few years ago. They are all pretty good there tbh, it's just Matt and Jack usually are busy running the kids academy.
Supreme

Post by Supreme »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:45 pm Stay away from a 60. Find a 56 with at least 10 degrees of bounce or even better would be a sand wedge from a cavity back iron set, useful around the green and essential for bunkers. You could even look for something like a Callaway Sure Out for greenside bunkers. It's effectively a sand wedge with an elongated sole. Golfbidder are very good for used clubs and have excellent customer service. Don't be put off by condition ratings of 7 or 8, I've bought clubs like that and they'd pass for new.
Don't worry about the driver for now. You'll get your scores down quickest by improving on and around the green. You could do a lot worse than consider a chipper. Your playing partners may snigger, just point them to your scorecard :thup:

The Wilsons, Ben Sayers and MacGregors are fine. They're pretty much a putter with the loft of an 8 or 9 iron.
Thanks for the suggestions.
The 52 I have is the TaylorMade Z-Spin - have taken to it quite well and feel fairly confident hitting it, so I may get one in the 56 loft which has 12 degree bounce.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalo ... ml#SID=560

What is the purpose of a chipper? Would that be to use just off the greens to chip on instead of using a wedge / or trying to bump and run?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Would that be to use just off the greens to chip on instead of using a wedge / or trying to bump and run? All of that and more:-

psychoscoredthelot

ive got a 56 sand wedge - one of my most favourtie clubs
psychoscoredthelot

played top meadow on Sunday - so busy had to do the front 9 twice

think the front 9 is harder than the back so was more than happy with my 35 points