The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

Harlow Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:06 pm No complaints on the Lamkin grips.

Feel pretty much the same as the Golf Pride maybe slightly more tackier but they are new so guess that will wear off

I’ll persevere with Lamkins and then decide if I want to go back to the Golf Pride.

Horses for courses really
Yeah I guess you only notice too much you want to change but if it works then stick with it

I tried the new ones today.. played 11 holes, 22 points so was happy with the golf and the grips seemed ok (had winter gloves on but felt grippy)
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

i am thinking of turning my garage into a little golf space - has anyone in here done this before?

i have had a quick swing with a few clubs out there and i have enough height for an iron swing, but probably not enough for a driver swing, but thats fine.

Thinking of putting up an 8ft x 8ft x 8ft golf net/cage i have found and then putting some form of putting mat/fake putting green in there as well.

Be interested to hear any thoughts of anyone who has done it before or if you have given it thought before?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 am i am thinking of turning my garage into a little golf space - has anyone in here done this before?

i have had a quick swing with a few clubs out there and i have enough height for an iron swing, but probably not enough for a driver swing, but thats fine.

Thinking of putting up an 8ft x 8ft x 8ft golf net/cage i have found and then putting some form of putting mat/fake putting green in there as well.

Be interested to hear any thoughts of anyone who has done it before or if you have given it thought before?
My mates talked about doing it in his summer house but with the screen to hit into - I hope he never does it as he beats me most times we play anyway
psychoscoredthelot

Playing cranham Friday

Be nice to get out
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Played panshanger today.. wow makes you appreciate your own club. was in bad condition. fairways felt like rough as it was so wet they couldnt cut it short short

managed 40 points tho which was delighted with in those conditions
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Not sure if any you book golf trips away, we have been looking at Spain/Portugal (our usual destinations) and have been having all sorts of problems on getting T times at the courses we want, so Turkey came up, cracking courses and price - worth a butchers :newthumb:
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 pm Played panshanger today.. wow makes you appreciate your own club. was in bad condition. fairways felt like rough as it was so wet they couldnt cut it short short

managed 40 points tho which was delighted with in those conditions
Must have been terrible conditions to play on, seeing as you only shot 4 under your handicap :crylol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 pm Must have been terrible conditions to play on, seeing as you only shot 4 under your handicap :crylol:
Whs makes a bit of a mess of handicaps the way golf England have applied it.

I get 3 more shots at panshanger (an easier course) than my own .. so really I hit 1 under

The Americans use course rating in their equation for course handicap . (Like old sss) panshanger is 69. Mines 74 (both par 72s) but because they don't use them and just use slope (which only measures the difference between what a bogey golfer and a scratch golfer would score so my course lower slope as it punishes both scratch and bogey golfers but a scratch golfer would be punished less at panshanger so bigger difference hence bigger slope)..

That said because it was so boggy there was no dodgy bounces ... No real roll .. so if you hit off line long as it wasn't massive it wouldn't Bounce off miles into trouble

That and the greens were wet so balls stopped from height very easily.
psychoscoredthelot

I play off 18 and have done for a few years

I got 31 points over cranham yesterday.

I have put my last 5 rounds into uswing app and it says my handicap is 26. I am looking forward to playing off that after I submit my next 5 rounds !!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:34 am I play off 18 and have done for a few years

I got 31 points over cranham yesterday.

I have put my last 5 rounds into uswing app and it says my handicap is 26. I am looking forward to playing off that after I submit my next 5 rounds !!
Problem with cranham is it's not rated so offically can't put cards for WHS system over there

A few of my mates signed up for golf Englands igolf to get an official handicap £40 a year

Unfortunately cranham doesn't count

Dunno why they can't be rated but never have been even when it' was congu
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Lovely round on monday at ingrebourne

finally appreciate the drainage now ive seen how others are fairing atm

first 5 holes nothing to write home about.. managed to just about claw 6 points..

then chipped in for 2 points from 50 yards on the 6th.. started a nice run and ended up with a respectable 35

was even nicer that for the first time in a long time it had been all 4 of us that have a little whatsapp group got to play together... our diaries finally aligned

top 3 scores were 37 , 35 and 34 so a nice close result.. apart from the one who channels his inner bryson without the control lol .. 26
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Pleasant round yesterday, had pulled a stomach muscle the week before so wanted to see how it went

ended up with 28 points so not too bad considering

ironically putting let me down compared to the actual full shots which were fine lol..
psychoscoredthelot

playing brentwood tomorrow - cant wait to ruin my saturday
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

Played this morning at Epping Golf Course

29 points of 18 handicap was a good return for me

Driving was better, putting was shocking. Lose some of those three putts and I'll have a decent gross score!

Only lost one ball which is an achievement.

Greens were not in a good state and a few temporary greens in place. I should have got a few more pars than I did.
Harlow Hammer

Post by Harlow Hammer »

KUMB Golf Society - June 2022

I thinking of arranging a golf society day for KUMB members @ Canons Brook Golf Club in Harlow around June time

http://www.canonsbrook.com/Home.aspx

Cost would be £50 per person or £200 for a four ball (doesn't have to be all LUMB members, would even allow a few Spurs fans to be ridiculed on the course)

The day would consist of......

Bacon Roll and Coffee on arrival
18 holes (stableford scoring), including nearest the pin and longest drive comps
Lunch, something like ham, egg and chips

I will look into getting some prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and longest dive nearest the pin. Hopefully will be able to get some things to auction off or do a raffle and donate proceeds to a charity.

So, few of questions....
1) Is the venue location ok, not far off the M11?
2) Is the cost ok? - Costs are based on a Friday, but cheaper during the week
3) June ok (I would assume holidays come into play end of July/August)?

If DL is about I will ask if he wants to be the official photographer for the day in return for raising money for his charity of choice!

If people are up for it I might look at getting polos shirts with KUMB logo on (subject to the boss' agreement) for the day (and future events)

Might also look at getting sponsors for the hole, with all proceeds going to charity.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Sounds brilliant! Thanks and put me down for it :newthumb:

Boring silly question:- I don't suppose I'm the only one without an official handicap, will you accept self certification?:grin:
Harlow Hammer

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I’ve never been too worried about “official” handicaps

Really just a day out, some golf, food and beer.

Undoubtably there will be someone on a 28 handicap, doesn’t play much and manages to have a brilliant one off round and come home with 40+ points.

I’ll probably just add a few additional challenges throughout the day in place of actual winners.

People can score their stableford points if they like.

I’d like to think people will honest with their handicaps but you’ll always get that one golfer.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

This is crazy. Never heard or seen a golf crowd like this. Decent shot too, btw. :winker:

Harlow Hammer

Post by Harlow Hammer »

You can hear the pain in the sky sports commentators voices as they try and make it sounds like they love it when you know deep down they hate it.

I enjoyed it. Would love to be in the stand. I imagine tickets are like gold dust or you have to start queuing 6 hrs in advance to get a spot.

Shame they banned the caddie race and the players lobbing merch into the crowd.

Not a patch on our light show and flame throwers at night games though.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Or put a big windmill in front of the green.