The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by dave_l »

Played the Belfry PGA and Derby course a couple of weeks ago with Copt Heath in Solihull interspersed between the two. Liked the Belfry resort - PGA course was great, Derby course was fine but nothing special. Copt Heath was a cracking course. Flat but enjoyable for someone like me with a handicap in the high 20s. Well worth a visit but be prepared to pay over the odds for food and booze (as you'd expect really). Despite having a stinker mid-way round the PGA, I really enjoyed it.

Played at Redlibbets yesterday near Brands Hatch. Also a delightful little course, though a real pain to get to down some very narrow lanes. Well worth a visit.
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

BMW Championship, Wentworth
9th September

Day Ticket and Car Parking available.

I booked to go and watch the opening day of the BMW Championship on 7th September but now need to be in work so can’t go.

Anyone want to buy the ticket (on site parking and day ticket) off me for £30.

I’ve been in previous years, both on my own and with mates. Excellent day. I chose Thursday as you are guaranteed to see all the stars as the cut is not until Friday evening. Followed McIlroy, Poulter, Kaymer, Hatton about for their rounds or plotted up on a par three (hole 5, refreshments and toilets nearby) and watched all the groups pass through. Even chatted to Gianfranco Zola on year.

The village is a good look around, lots of new kit to see or spend a fortune on!

First come first served via replying on this thread.

E tickets will be emailed on receipt of funds (bank transfer or PayPal)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Had 9 holes last night and my mate brought a newbie along, he has taken golf up this year so is finding his feet with a few air shots thrown in etc so he then got a hole in one on a 170yd Par 3!!! f*** me, I have hit the pin on Par 3's on more than a few times, within inches at times, never dropped for me in the many many years I have been playing, newbie in his 1st year gets a hole in hole...

It is great to see it and be there, and of course we all jumped around, cheered, shook his hand, but inside part of me wanted to put my driver through his head, it's a cruel game..... :D
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

My pal took his 18year old with him the other week. We’ve been playing for 20 odd years and haven’t hit one. His 18yr old son got one in his 3rd or 4th round. My pal said he was so casual about it too.

Little b*stard
psychoscoredthelot

Played Langdon hills yesterday. 29 points.

Course was in great nick. Well worth a visit.

When we checked in the girl on reception took a call and then said to us that was strange a fella just called and said can he book a buggy without playing golf. Just wants to ride it around the course for a laugh.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Got my first ever eagle on Saturday, in 2 on a par 4. Solid 6 iron off the tee for position on a dog leg left. Second shot left 140 but slope reading gave 122. Hit a PW and it did exactly what i visualised (for a change!). Took a good bounce just on the front of the green then rolled in... couldn't believe it.

Nearly followed it up with another on the 18th par 5. On the green in two after probably the sweetest drive i have ever hit, followed by a solid 7 iron from 160. Left me a 5ft putt which i pulled an inch left. Tap in birdie was nice to finish on though!
psychoscoredthelot

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:56 pm Got my first ever eagle on Saturday, in 2 on a par 4. Solid 6 iron off the tee for position on a dog leg left. Second shot left 140 but slope reading gave 122. Hit a PW and it did exactly what i visualised (for a change!). Took a good bounce just on the front of the green then rolled in... couldn't believe it.

Nearly followed it up with another on the 18th par 5. On the green in two after probably the sweetest drive i have ever hit, followed by a solid 7 iron from 160. Left me a 5ft putt which i pulled an inch left. Tap in birdie was nice to finish on though!
Lovely !!
psychoscoredthelot

I’ve had an eagle on a par 4 and will never know how it happened. Dog leg short par 4 and I smashed it into the trees with a 6 iron. Looking for me ball for about 5 mins. When the fellas on the green shouted at me that it was on the green and had nearly hit them. It must have pinged off a high branch or something and it was 2 feet from the hole for a tap in. They weren’t happy that there wasn’t a shout of fore but I hit nowhere near them and will never know how it got to its final resting place.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:56 pm Got my first ever eagle on Saturday, in 2 on a par 4. Solid 6 iron off the tee for position on a dog leg left. Second shot left 140 but slope reading gave 122. Hit a PW and it did exactly what i visualised (for a change!). Took a good bounce just on the front of the green then rolled in... couldn't believe it.

It's a weird feeling a 2 on a par 4.... I've only ever done it onceas well. Playing at Dunton Hills years ago, I creamed a 5 wood down the middle. Hit a 9 into the green and it was all over the flag in the air, but I couldn't see the bottom of the flag. It was only when my mate started yelling and jumping around that I realised it went in. Apparently it was a proper slam dunker... in the hole without bouncing. I just stood there in shock... then said to my mate 30 yards up the fairway... 'you've got that for the half' :rofl:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I didn't see my last eagle either. A short par 4 with rock hard, down sloping fairway, I took a 5i off the tee to avoid OB left and let it run which it did, into the first cut on the right. I hit a PW and it looked all over the pin, I thought "that's on" and set about repairing the divot. When I looked up I couldn't see it and assumed it had rolled off, it wasn't until my playing partner said "It's gone in" that I realised.
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Billy Horschel wins the BMW @ Wentworth. COYI
Cotswold Hammer

Post by Cotswold Hammer »

I want his West Ham Golf Bag!
2 Crossed Hammers during his acceptance speech. When asked "How are you going to celebrate"? He said, "I am having Dinner Tonight with Mark Noble and Declan Rice"!
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Loved watching that.

:hamm:
psychoscoredthelot

Billy Horschel is my favourite yank :hamm:
psychoscoredthelot

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am Billy Horschel is my ONLY favourite yank :hamm:
psychoscoredthelot

Shot an 88 over cranham saturday

happy with that
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:08 pm Shot an 88 over
I never thought Cranham was that hard. :winker: :crylol:
psychoscoredthelot

Playing ingrebourne Monday

Last time I went there was only a few holes open
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:18 pm Playing ingrebourne Monday

Last time I went there was only a few holes open
Hope you enjoy

Some lovely holes on the back nine

Hopefully the weather ain't too bad because if too much rain the clay ground does get ropey. Fairways and greens normally fine more like the rough but that's where you end up lol

It's subject to trolly and buggy bans at random this time of year so just be prepared to carry
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Declan Rice Four hole golf challenge. This is a good watch