Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by thejackhammer »

He handed in a transfer request, and long term we surely want highly rated Ajeti to get the time off the bench, which made Hernandez our third choice.

If Haller gets injured maybe he'd have started over Ajeti but other than that he wouldnt have got a game.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Arnoutovic hardly ever scored against decent sides either. None of our strikers do because we don't score *that* many goals against top sides
Antonio has a decent record against the better sides (playing on the wing) and Sakho didn't do too badly

The fact is that hernandez was one of the most effective players outside the top six for goals and assists per minutes on the pitch. That output is going to be difficult to replace
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Being able to go two up top when we are chasing games was one of the reasons for our success getting back into matches last season. Football is no longer about a first 11. How many league placings would the 7 or 8 goals of a poacher off the bench be worth over a season (£2m per league placing)

Does anyone really believe that we’ll use the funds to buy someone in January? Even if we do - would we spend the wage savings too (cos we don’t look like we did in the summer window just gone)

Few posters on here said he’d go before the end of the window - feels entirely predictable.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Arnoutovic hardly ever scored against decent sides either.
Even off the top of my head, Arnautovic scored goals against Man United and Chelsea.

As for Hernandez, I am only really bothered that we're one down in terms of experienced player, leaving us exposed, if Haller misses any more games, before Antonio is fit.

I can't blame the player for wanting the move, tbh. He's Spanish speaking and much more likely to get some pitch time, even if only as an impact sub, in La Liga and European competition.

If he genuinely did take a pay cut, fair play to him, but I never really took to the idea that he represented my club; too much of the play-acting for my taste.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Seems a strange move for the club if i'm being honest.

We sold him for not much, and have lost a decent squad player who we will need and call upon.

To be only left with Ajeti as back up is a little frightening. Someone totally untested and unproven at this level.
Crouchend_Hammer

prophet:marginal wrote:
Even off the top of my head, Arnautovic scored goals against Man United and Chelsea.
Hernandez scored against Chelsea and Spurs as well.
The vast majority of Armoutivic''s goals were scored against relative fodder with a lot more opportunitea againat the top sides

If Hernandez didn't want to play second fiddle then fair enough we probably needed to move him on, but I am amazed at a the number of posters who don't think we will miss him and what he can offer, which is double figures in goals and assists from limited minutes on the pitch

Past history of strikers settling into the Premiwr League suggeats Haller is not going to play more than 30 games so that is still 6-7 games left. We now have a player who has never scored outside of the Swiss league, instead of one who has scored about 100 goals in top tier European football, and close to 20 in Premier League in last two seasons.

Whether you rate him or not, whether you like him or not, he will be missed
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hang about, lads. Long-term target Ross McCormack is still a free agent.

I made a joke weeks ago about him rocking up as Haller's new strike partner. May yet still happen. :tune:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Arnie was more important to us than Hernandez, is he missed?

Feels like Ajeti is being written off far to prematurely, a player scouted and brought in by our manager and his Director of football, I trust that he will be a good fit, and an able replacement for Hernandez.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote:Arnie was more important to us than Hernandez, is he missed?

Feels like Ajeti is being written off far to prematurely, a player scouted and brought in by our manager and his Director of football, I trust that he will be a good fit, and an able replacement for Hernandez.
He already is simply because he WANTS to be here :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer

Feels like Ajeti is being written off far to prematurely, a player scouted and brought in by our manager and his Director of football, I will trust them, that he will be a better fit here than Hernandez ever was.
A fit and firing Arnie would be missed yes. The one we had at the end of the time here, probably not.
But it all depends how well Haller does over the course of the season. Not three games.
However, we replaced a £25m winger who had one good season up front with a £45m striker with some pedigree of scoring goals in the top tier, so in theory it should be a clear upgrade

Hernandez to Ajeti is not an upgrade IMHO. It might end up being one, but isn't at this point
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I admit I’ve not seen much of Ajeti, but my hunch is that if everyone is fit, Antonio would be Pellegrini’s second choice forward with Ajeti third.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Turns to Stone wrote:I admit I’ve not seen much of Ajeti, but my hunch is that if everyone is fit, Antonio would be Pellegrini’s second choice forward with Ajeti third.
I think that's the situation at the moment, but Ajeti has clearly been brought in to replace the Perez/Hernandez type player in the squad. 38 goals in his last two seasons....he must have some idea where the net is.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Who’s writing off Ajeti?

We’ve seen Arnie, Perez, Carroll & Hernandez go - that’s 4 strikers down to 2 - 3 of those actually scored a few goals for us last season

I think if anything that puts more pressure on the manager & the strikers - Haller has been great so far, but it is early days, and we’ve basically replaced proven prem forwards with lads who are completely new to the league and only 2 of them at that

Post by 21212 »

So, it seems to be catastrophic that we haven't replaced a striker who was behind Perez, yes Perez, in the pecking order.
OK.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

Have we played two months of the season yet, and have we started to pick up injuries in numbers.

I'd argue that we should have four strikers, and that meant not letting Hernandez go, and getting in another to cover Antonio out for 4 months.

Then again I trust Pellegrini, and if Haller and Ajeti stay fit and our attacking players perform then two plus Antonio (when fit) will be enough. A big risk. But then again big money, plus substitute only, plus wants to leave = leave.
Last edited by Chip Korea on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Who was behind Perez? I'd say Perez was arguably 4th choice last season.

Issue is that we had a very competent goal-poacher who we could bring off the bench and nick us goals in tight games. Now we just have a vaccuous void where that player once existed.

Is it a disaster that he hadn't been replaced? Probably not.

Could us selling him at this stage cost us points in the league (and even a victory in a cup)? Very possibly.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

And it does basically state to the whole PL that they don't need to worry about us going two up front, ever. One less thing for them to worry about and waste time planning for.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Ex saying, 2 other exits are expected, and we will sign nobody as a Hdez replacement...

Sometimes, I just do not know, for which kind of person do I have to take him..

As I many times got the feeling... "What he do not know, he just (creates) or assume it has to be that or this way"...

He gives a lot of veridical and useful information, but also...

I just do not understand why its so difficult to say nowadays "I just do not know".. It looks like to be something many people be ashamed off... :?
dubaihammer

Post by dubaihammer »

Hernandez has the knack of getting on the scoresheet, but quite frankly, would never be our first choice striker and his 140k is double what he should have been on and way ahead of the rest of the squad which just couldn't continue. In actual fact it was only in Germany where he has been a genuine first choice player.

Ajeti is at present an unknown quantity, but that is a breath of fresh air in a way. The club are finally moving on from high paid older players to scouted, less expensive, younger talent, who are looking to prove themselves.

There is no argument that we are now light with only the 2 strikers, till antonio comes back.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

hammer1975 wrote:Being able to go two up top when we are chasing games was one of the reasons for our success getting back into matches last season. Football is no longer about a first 11. How many league placings would the 7 or 8 goals of a poacher off the bench be worth over a season.
We do have enough players to be able to play two up front, Haller + Aj + Yarmo + Antonio.
We can't afford to bring in a player who is expected to be both starting elevenish level of a player, and have a team full of players who are content with the minutes they get. It's a shame that Antonio is out for some time, but we have enough bodies to cope.

Also, if letting Hernandez go have made it possible to tie Lanzini, Rice and others to longer and better deals, it's worth it. I'd rather have a happy and content Anderson, Lanzini, Rice plus a Haller, than a Hernandez and Arnautovic.

We can always go with a false nine, have plenty of players in midfield who know how to score :)