Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Colours never run »

OFT wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:35 am
'West Ham United are not interested in selling one of our best players to clubs we consider as our nearest rivals and competitors'

Grow some balls, great big hard ones.
Fak the lot of em.
Standing up to other Clubs ain't the issue, as we've done that all along. It's actually saying to Rice (and his Father/Agent), we're not prepared to sell you this summer that's the issue. It's the lad that's angling for a move because he now wants Champions League Football.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Colours never run wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:42 am Standing up to other Clubs ain't the issue, as we've done that all along. It's actually saying to Rice (and his Father/Agent), we're not prepared to sell you this summer that's the issue. It's the lad that's angling for a move because he now wants Champions League Football.
That's easy enough to do. Just remind him that he signed a contract with us that we expect him to honour.

He's only 24, he could easily play on for another decade. He has plenty of time to play whatever football he wants, but in the meantime he can likely still play European football with West Ham.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Colours never run wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:32 am
Sell Rice for £120m plus at least £60m we'd have in the transfer kitty anyway making a realistic £180m to spend this summer. No doubt they'll also be outgoings too. Quality over quantity.
I've seen this £60m figure mentioned twice now. Where is this coming from?

No way we only have £60m to spend
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

sendô wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:52 am That's easy enough to do. Just remind him that he signed a contract with us that we expect him to honour.

He's only 24, he could easily play on for another decade. He has plenty of time to play whatever football he wants, but in the meantime he can likely still play European football with West Ham.
I've stated exactly the same myself in the past to remind him (and his Dad) of that. And if they're pissed off with that then they only have themselves to blame for agreeing to sign the 6 and a half year contract they did.

If no Clubs don't want to reach the asking price, then as you were Rice as we look forward to another season with you leading us. My preferred choice is to ignore all offers and to take a bit of a hit on his valuation further down the line if needs be. So if we need to stand firm with anyone right now, it's the Rice's, should it have to come to that which I really hope it doesn't.
Colours never run

paulhs1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 am I've seen this £60m figure mentioned twice now. Where is this coming from?

I agree. I just use it as a modest minimum amount that’s available. I reckon it could be about £20m more.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1584 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Is the sensible thing to try sign Rice's replacement this year AND keep Rice for a year?

If that's Sangare, Palhinha, whomever it might be, we've already got the next person lined up and firing before we lose Rice.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 am I've seen this £60m figure mentioned twice now. Where is this coming from?

Much will depend on Europe. We lost out on about £15m-£20m of revenue from league position this year. Not sure on number of TV games etc and even if we win it it is likely the Conference will generate less than the Europa last season.

All in all say a turnover of about £180m-£200m. Think the new FFP allows you to spend up to 90% of revenue on transfers and wages (£160m -£180m) this year (reducing by 10% a year for the next 2) excluding money generated from sales. Our wage bill will be about on first team squad plus manager likely to be circa £100m leaving a maximum of circa £60m on transfers, possibly a little more but it would more than double on a Rice sale.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

If Arsenal really are offering £70 million then they’re saying they value him the same as Nicolas Pepe.

That in itself is an insult to Rice.
Colours never run

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:02 am Is the sensible thing to try sign Rice's replacement this year AND keep Rice for a year?

If that's Sangare, Palhinha, whomever it might be, we've already got the next person lined up and firing before we lose Rice.
You'd like to think that's what the Club would want to do. I want to see the Club go for Ward-Prowse and hopefully get him in at a reasonable price. And should Rice's valuation not be met and they start the season hitting it off together with us seriously challenging for the top 4, then I'd hope it may give Rice a bit of a dilemma as to what to do next.

The whole argument now is for Rice to be playing Champions League football and to be challenging for honours, so if we could do that next season in a final effort to convince him to sign a new contract, then I don't see why he couldn't reconsider with a lucrative contract on the table ready to sign. But to do that, it means the Club will have to cough up serious dough this summer to get us to compete. How much does Kretinsky want to invest with or without Sullivan for next season is the next question to that..
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The club unusually for us is in a strong position regarding Rice, time to step up Board and stay strong. If you want him meet the valuation by say early to Mid July or do one.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:02 am Is the sensible thing to try sign Rice's replacement this year AND keep Rice for a year?

We did this already - his name is Flynn Downes.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:34 am The club unusually for us is in a strong position regarding Rice, time to step up Board and stay strong. If you want him meet the valuation by say early to Mid July or do one.
This, absolutely, the price is £100m plus and the sale window closes mid July so we get a pre season without an attendant circus. If we qualify for the Europa League that and the better league performance Rice aids recoups a lot of the drop to the £50-60m we get next summer having enforced the contract extension. Fully understand Rice has his ambitions and at some point should play CL football, but he signed a contract with the club that nurtured him after Chelsea released him, and that club now deserves the best deal it can get in return, be that a high price sale, or another season in the team. We are not here to do Arsenal favours.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am We did this already - his name is Flynn Downes.
Absolutely not
Colours never run

Knighter10WHU wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am We did this already - his name is Flynn Downes.
Nah, he was effectively Noble's replacement in the Squad.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

We value him at 120 million. We have a gentlemen's agreement with him that he can go if that figure is met.

The clubs who fancy him are talking him down saying he ain't all that, he doesn't do enough etc...

It's all just bull****, they are trying to knock the price down.

Kroos and Modric never scored dozens of goals, there are hundreds of really great midfielders over the years who did not score loads of goals.

That they did do was influence a game and that wins you matches.

If Fernadez is 106 Million then Rice is worth 120 Million.

it's the current going rate, if no club wants to pay it and offer a low ball to try and get him for 90 million we can refuse and Rice can't complain as he agreed to it.

For once we are in the driving seat and Rice can't demand to be let go if a low ball comes in.

The board have worded this gentlemen's agreement very well imo :grin:
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I feel like that was the plan with Onana last summer. Not too much like Rice but has the physical qualities and can be a progressive ball carrier, young enough to sit half the games out or so they thought before Everton promised his a starting role etc

Now we need a ready made replacement and someone to take Soucek’s place in the ‘best 11’
Colours never run

More of a poisoned Dwarfs razzle-dazzle than a 'Gentleman's' agreement but yeah they've played it just about right thus far.🪄🤝
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah it felt like they tried to do that last summer with Onana and Downes, but unfortunately one didn't come off and the other doesn't really look the part.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 am All in all say a turnover of about £180m-£200m.
Turnover was £191m in the year Pellegrini was here - 10th and no european money.

It was £253m last year.

Expect it to be somewhere in the middle - £220m-£225m.

Budget should be in the region of £90m, before sales.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

On Bayern and their recruitement over the next few months: Will go via Tuchel and a specific agent.