Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by hammers92 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:49 am
There are very few players in the world who cover his amount of ground, week in week out and are never injured. He is probably one of the fittest players in the world - and that is a huge plus for the Prenier League
4 straight seasons of 30 plus games, most likely hitting that again for a 5th this year.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

What Declan said in December: “I've seen my friends here who are playing Champions League and winning the big trophies. You only get one career, and at the end of your career you want to look back at what you've won and the biggest games you've played in. “I'm really ambitious and I really want to do that.”

Playing ‘Champions League’, ‘winning the big trophies’ doesn’t leave too many options in terms of the teams in our domestic league.

Man City definitely ticks all the boxes. Liverpool, you could’ve said the same prior to this season, but have they now reverted to how they was before Klopp’s 2nd season? Arsenal, if they win the Premier League this season, maybe. But who’s to say this season won’t be a flash in the pan and they’ll struggle again from next season? As for Man Utd, Chelsea and the Spuds, there are no guarantees in the long run they’ll consistently be in the Champions League, let alone winning the major trophies. Especially the latter for the Spuds! :D Newcastle, time will tell. But they are within a shout of getting a Champions League place. And could well win the Carabao Cup. Is the Carabao Cup what Rice means by ‘big trophies’ though?

So, unless Rice joins Man City and debatably Arsenal, how would you feel if he joins one of the other clubs who are no more likely to be regularly competing for ‘big trophies’ and playing ‘Champions League’ games as we are? Especially as, like he said, ‘I really want to do that’?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Every single club you mentioned is more likely to be playing Champions League and competing regualry for trophies than we are

They can't all win but they have all got to later stages of Champions League in recent history and/ or been in a title race (even Spurs!)
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 am Every single club you mentioned is more likely to be playing Champions League and competing regualry for trophies than we are
We competed for a European trophy last season. And could well be doing so again this season. We may even add the FA Cup to the equation depending how we got on in Monday’s game.

Chelsea and Liverpool are just as close to us in the table right now as they are for 4th spot.
Crouchend_Hammer

Reaching a Europa semi final qnd possibly getting to the 5th round of the FA Cup is not really on a par with the others (excluding Spurs who have no chance of buying him anyway)

Look at the trophies they have won and semi- finals/ finals they have reached , even in 'poor' periods
Whu-tang clan
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Whu-tang clan »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:01 am So, unless Rice joins Man City and debatably Arsenal, how would you feel if he joins one of the other clubs who are no more likely to be regularly competing for ‘big trophies’ and playing ‘Champions League’ games as we are? Especially as, like he said, ‘I really want to do that’?
What? Do you really think we are as likely to win a trophy or play in the champions league as Liverpool, Chelsea and United?
Crouchend_Hammer

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 am We competed for a European trophy last season. And could well be doing so again this season. We may even add the FA Cup to the equation depending how we got on in Monday’s game.

Chelsea and Liverpool are just as close to us in the table right now as they are for 4th spot.
Cheksea came 10th in 2016 and won the league the next season. Since then they have also win the Chamoiins League.
Liverpool came 8th that year and have won everything since then.
One or two underperforming seasons doesn't mean anything for those clubs. They pretty much always bounce back pretty quickly.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 am We competed for a European trophy last season. And could well be doing so again this season. We may even add the FA Cup to the equation depending how we got on in Monday’s game.

Blimey. That's a reach.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:01 am So, unless Rice joins Man City and debatably Arsenal, how would you feel if he joins one of the other clubs who are no more likely to be regularly competing for ‘big trophies’ and playing ‘Champions League’ games as we are? Especially as, like he said, ‘I really want to do that’?
Look at the trophies, league position and finals reached by Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd over the past 10 years.

Now look at what we've won.

Do you still think they are no more likely to be competing for big trophies than us?
Last edited by jastons on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:12 amLook at the trophies they have won and semi- finals/ finals they have reached , even in 'poor' periods
jastons wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am Look at the trophies, league position and finals reached by Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd over the past 10 years.
That’s in the past though. If Declan means what he says, then the focus is on the ‘now’. Join a club who is winning big trophies and playing Champions League football ‘now’. There is no guarantees those other clubs mentioned will. No one can surely say with 100% confidence that they will. So I am going to be very interested to see what Declan does if the likes of Man City and possibly the Gooners don’t come calling.

If we’re focusing on the past achievements of clubs, then we may as well say Nottingham Forest should be contenders. They’ve won 2 European cups.
Last edited by funky chicken on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jastons

Post by jastons »

Are you seriously saying that West Ham are just as likely to compete for the Premier League and Champions League next season as Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea are?
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

smuts wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am Blimey. That's a reach.
And it’s also a fact.
Crouchend_Hammer

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:17 am That’s in the past though. If Declan means what he says, then the focus is on the ‘now’. Join a club who is winning big trophies and playing Champions League football ‘now’. There is no guarantees those other clubs mentioned will. No one can surely say with 100% confidence that they will. So I am going to be very interested to see what Declan does if the likes of Man City and possibly the Gooners don’t come calling.
I doubt he is using the word 'now' to mean at this exact moment in time

I would say that there is probably a 99% chance that all of the 'big six' except Spurs will be in Champiins League a few times in next ten years and will win a couple of trophies (of some kind). Plus be involved in a title race or two

Plus play in countless semi finals qnd finals and big high profile domestic and European matches

Certainly a lot more chance than us
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

jastons wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 am Are you seriously saying that West Ham are just as likely to compete for the Premier League and Champions League next season as Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea are?
I don’t recall saying Premier League. And certainly not ‘Champions league next season’. Did you read the post properly before you replied?
jastons

Post by jastons »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:25 am I don’t recall saying Premier League. And certainly not ‘Champions league next season’. Did you read the post properly before you replied?
What are the 'big trophies' you refer to then?
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

jastons wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am What are the 'big trophies' you refer to then?
The point I am making is those clubs mentioned outside of Man City and possibly the Gooners this season aren’t likely to be winning the ‘big trophies’. The obvious big trophies being the Premier League title and Champions League. Is Declan really leaving just to win a Carabao Cup, or two?
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

Actually thought Caicedo was the best player on the pitch when Brighton played us earlier this season, wonder if there is a possibility of Rice staying after all.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

BoleynInsider wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 am Actually thought Caicedo was the best player on the pitch when Brighton played us earlier this season, wonder if there is a possibility of Rice staying after all.
If the Arsenal link is true then you’d think it would happen. If they go on to win the title, which I personally don’t think they will, then that’ll especially be a big carrot to dangle in front of Declan if he’s deadly serious about ‘big trophies’. But they do certainly look on course to at least have Champions League football next season.
Crouchend_Hammer

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:33 am The point I am making is those clubs mentioned outside of Man City and possibly the Gooners this season aren’t likely to be winning the ‘big trophies’. The obvious big trophies being the Premier League title and Champions League. Is Declan really leaving just to win a Carabao Cup, or two?
Declann Rice isn't playing for those clubs this season so it is irrelevant what they do or don't win this season. It is about what they could win and achieve in the next 10 years
jastons

Post by jastons »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:33 am The point I am making is those clubs mentioned outside of Man City and possibly the Gooners this season aren’t likely to be winning the ‘big trophies’. The obvious big trophies being the Premier League title and Champions League. Is Declan really leaving just to win a Carabao Cup, or two?
So although you don't recall saying Premier league and champions league, you are referring to them.