Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 604 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Tezza65 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:15 am Bring back Dimitri Payet… and the Fair Play Award!
We also had Alex Song,who would be probably the most comparable midfielder to Declan.

If the recruitment is good and the football is more positive(no matter who is Manager),we could have a great season.Play the same way and bad recruitment,then we could easy do a Leicester.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

In 2015/16 season we finished 7th and reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup without a single appearance from Declan Rice and a midfield the majority of the time consisting of Mark Noble and Cheikou Kouyate.

Newcastle finished 4th with Guimarães having to play alongside Longstaff and Willock for a lot of the season!

We can cope without Declan, but we have to get the balance right in midfield so we don’t lose all the strengths Declan had to offer. Plus, we need to make sure there are at least a couple of leaders in that dressing room.

I’m not saying it’s a piece of p*ss, but it’s not impossible either. Bring 2 of the right midfielders in and there is no reason why we can’t be up there again.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:00 am What this table does show is how daft a move to Arsenal would be.

They (and to a lesser extent Newcastle) had a flukey pre-World Cup run and since then tumbled down to being slightly better than expected.
I get the London rivals aspect but there's an odd desire on this forum to ignore the steady progress that Arsenal are making under Arteta.

He takes over mid season with the team floundering in mid table and then straight away has them in top 6 form for the 2nd half of the season. Next season there's a little improvement to 61 points. Another jump forward the next season to 69 points. This year they make another leap forward, even their weaker half of the season is still progress on last year (would be 74 points over a full season).

It's a young squad, they're not going to lose anyone important this summer and will add probably £150m+ in talent to the starting XI. Klopp & Liverpool have shown that it's difficult to build the 2nd iteration of a team but this one still has a fair amount of mileage and progress in it.

Being mates with a bunch of Arsenal fans who were unbearable in January I realised I really don't want them to win the league. Adding Rice to their current squad scares me a lot!
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 pm Has anyone bid £100 million for Rice?

I've know quite a few people that will not see him as a legend once he leaves, and not one of them are bitter - quite like myself - so you're statement of 'everyone' is somewhat incorrect, as is your bitter comment.

I quite like having world class players at the club - but if they don't want to be here - **** 'em.

FYI, there were clubs that bid for Noble when he was here, but he turned them down - because he's a West Ham boy - and Arsenal was one of them.

Says a lot that some fans feel Rice, a player that cannot wait to get out of the door and has turned down multiple contract offers deserves to lift a trophy over a player that devoted his entire career to us.

I've nothing against Rice - he's a superb player - I've made that clear in all my postings - but does he really warrant this revered status if he were to lift The ECL Trophy and **** off immediately afterwards?

Not for me he doesn't.
But do you really expect him to stay at West Ham his entire career?

Or maybe stay for the next year? Or next two years? Surely he goes eventually. You can't hold that against him.

He's been our captain and played more than 50 games for England during his time here. That's more than Lampard, Rio, Defoe etc ever did.

We may be on the verve of winning a European trophy but we aren't breaking into the top 4 any time soon.

A recent comparison is Harry Kane. Sometimes the player at the club is just too good for the actual club.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Tezza65 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:29 am We also had Alex Song,who would be probably the most comparable midfielder to Declan.
Unfortunately, you prove the opposite point by scraping that deep barrell.

Rice is a rare generational talent. Our big mistakes as a club in the past - Shea / Puddefoot / Cantwell / Peters / McAvennie / Rio etc / Payet - has been in losing our stars and replacing them with lesser players. Had we kept and built on them, then it might have been a different story.

I've no faith whatsoever in getting £X for Rice and seeing it invested in making a better overall squad, nor in 'easily' challenging top 4 or doing a Leicester by so doing. That's crazy talk.

I cite 123 years' evidence, m'lud.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

We are fortunate Rice is built like the 6 million dollar man and never picks up an injury because had he done during this season, I'm convinced we would have gone down. He's been that important to us and been the one that has just about held the Team together like glue, especially as our Captain firefighting both on and off the pitch. Not to mention we were also fortunate that there were so many poor Teams below us this season as we've gone down before on more points than this one.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:08 pm No, we wont if we continually sell our once-in-a-generation world class players.

Never forget that the 2008 Champions League final featured four West Ham academy products.
And the side that won the world cup had 3 hammers in it. And as Harry redknapp memorably observed "we still finished bottom half of the league - how s*it must have the rest of us been"

You are better off having a team of very good players than one or two stars and a load of gaps. None of which means we should be happy about him leaving - but spend the money well and we needn't be a worse team.

For me our problem is amateur recruitment (and coaching). Back in that 2003 relegation season we went into it with Winterburn at left back and only 3 strikers (when we played 2 up) the quite ordinary players we signed in Jan - Brevett and Ferdinand nearly kept us up. Had they arrived in August we would have never gone down. Cresswell says hi
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:03 pm I get the London rivals aspect but there's an odd desire on this forum to ignore the steady progress that Arsenal are making under Arteta.
I'm not sure it's ignoring it, more questioning whether they had a Lingard-like burst of form while the heat was off, before settling back down to their norm.

I think they've collected 34-35 points in four of the last five half seasons (that's borderline 4th/5th). The only deviation was in the period before the World Cup.

Six of their previous seven seasons have ended in 5th-8th.

As soon as the heat was turned up, they melted away. And this is against a backdrop of 3rd round eliminations in both domestic cups and an early exit in the Europa.

They've had a light workload, the competition was in a state of upheaval , yet still they missed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm Unfortunately, you prove the opposite point by scraping that deep barrell.

Rice is a rare generational talent. Our big mistakes as a club in the past - Shea / Puddefoot / Cantwell / Peters / McAvennie / Rio etc / Payet - has been in losing our stars and replacing them with lesser players. Had we kept and built on them, then it might have been a different story.

I've no faith whatsoever in getting £X for Rice and seeing it invested in making a better overall squad, nor in 'easily' challenging top 4 or doing a Leicester by so doing. That's crazy talk.

I cite 123 years' evidence, m'lud.
Dicks to Liverpool, Paul Allen to Spurs and Hartson to Wimbledon are the flip of it, Doc,

What I would also say is that even when Spurs initially seemed to waste the Bale money, they were reasonably quick to flip their mistakes. Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue were subsequently outed at the same time they signed Trippier, Son, Alderwereld.

It's about keeping the investment money alive rather than spending £40m on a player who subsequently proves to be worthless and unsellable.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm Our big mistakes as a club in the past - Shea / Puddefoot / Cantwell / Peters / McAvennie / Rio etc / Payet - has been in losing our stars and replacing them with lesser players. Had we kept and built on them, then it might have been a different story.
In the 60s, when West Ham won the Domestic, European and World Cup, there was a golden opportunity to build.

We didn't go for it. There was no desire to push further.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Alot of west ham forums are saying that rice's dad and family are saying he only wants to stay in London and with only arsenal bidding we should accept less money for him . All this going on a week before the final. This and the antonio thing could have waited until after the final not great preparation
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by Pob! »

Looks like Manchester United are now in poll position after making Mason Mount Declan Rice and Harry Kane their priorities for the summer according to the Mirror..
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Garry wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 pm Alot of west ham forums are saying that rice's dad and family are saying he only wants to stay in London and with only arsenal bidding we should accept less money for him . All this going on a week before the final. This and the antonio thing could have waited until after the final not great preparation
He might want to stay in London but that does not correlate to us accepting less money for him. If Arsenal are not prepared to pay the asking price then let him put in a transfer request to “force” the move.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:56 pm He might want to stay in London but that does not correlate to us accepting less money for him. If Arsenal are not prepared to pay the asking price then let him put in a transfer request to “force” the move.
I agree with this .
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

I still have a feeling an Arsenal move has been agreed for some time 'verbally'. Don't feel it's the right move, but I just have a hunch.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

szola wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:38 pm In the 60s, when West Ham won the Domestic, European and World Cup, there was a golden opportunity to build.

We didn't go for it. There was no desire to push further.
Ditto after the 1986 season, hence me and a few mates falling out of love with the club for while.......
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

TheGavnor wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:09 pm I still have a feeling an Arsenal move has been agreed for some time 'verbally'. Don't feel it's the right move, but I just have a hunch.
Me too.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Garry wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 pm Alot of west ham forums are saying that rice's dad and family are saying he only wants to stay in London and with only arsenal bidding we should accept less money for him . All this going on a week before the final. This and the antonio thing could have waited until after the final not great preparation
This is good news. If Arsenal dont cough up the reddies then we will have no choice than to not deal.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

TheGavnor wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:09 pm I still have a feeling an Arsenal move has been agreed for some time 'verbally'. Don't feel it's the right move, but I just have a hunch.
If that's the case then why waste the time talking to Bayern?

Looks like his dad is trying to drum up as much interest as possible so as to get the "real" offer on the table. That offer ain't coming from Arsenal.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:48 pm If that's the case then why waste the time talking to Bayern?

Looks like his dad is trying to drum up as much interest as possible so as to get the "real" offer on the table. That offer ain't coming from Arsenal.
The higher the transfer fee the higher cut his Dad gets from a sale.

Maybe he's done that to force Arsenal to up their bid?