Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by HammerAl »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:58 pm Someone already mentioned it on here.. Parker single handedly kept us up and was dragging us forward , keeping us in games

For someone who's suppose to be a class above Parker and wants to be prime Gerrard his goals and assist ratio are awful

Let's not mention his pens either
Rice has been consistently better for us and for England than Parker was. Rice has been brilliant for us for 4/5 seasons now, also playing in some very average/poor teams, like Parker did. Some people seem to have short memories.

Has he or anyone else said he wants to be prime Gerrard? Or did he just carry the ball forward a bit more last season than the season before?

Rice as a footballer or as a captain is the least of our problems at the mo and I’m surprised he’s being dug out as much as he has been.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:58 pm Someone already mentioned it on here.. Parker single handedly kept us up and was dragging us forward , keeping us in games

For someone who's suppose to be a class above Parker and wants to be prime Gerrard his goals and assist ratio are awful

Let's not mention his pens either
Yeah and we never came close to finishing 6th, 7th and reaching a major European final with Parker.

Our team really isn’t as good as that. He has clearly been our best player for years now and is by far the primary reason we achieved those things.

But yeah he takes a **** pen so he’s awful.

It’s typical West Ham. Can’t see the forest for the trees when it comes to who the actual poor players in our team. Just blame the best one because he’s not Superman every single week and rifling in goals from defensive midfield.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:58 pm For someone who's suppose to be a class above Parker and wants to be prime Gerrard his goals and assist ratio are awful
What wasn't awful, was him putting in tackle after tackle. What was awful, was watching the ball being given away by a teammate everytime he had won it back.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Declan Rice wasn't the problem today. Not unless he's changed his name to David and speaks in a Scottish accent.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

-DL- wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:51 pm Declan Rice wasn't the problem today. Not unless he's changed his name to David and speaks in a Scottish accent.
You're not thinking of a new stick or twist thread.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Im not sure Dec has been above a 6/10 in any game I've watched this season. Could well be down to us being over-run and outnumbered in central areas in pretty much every game of course!!!. There is no doubt for me he isn't at the levels he has been last 2 years. I also have concerns about his captaincy too. It's obviously right he was given the job, and the hope was leading by example would be his style...lets say the Jury is very much out. I don't see him as much of a talker....and a lot of the body language to me says he has the hump. Id love to get a snapshot of whats going on behind the scenes with the squad at training etc...might go some way to explaining the malaise.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:47 pm Yeah and we never came close to finishing 6th, 7th and reaching a major European final with Parker.

Our team really isn’t as good as that. He has clearly been our best player for years now and is by far the primary reason we achieved those things.

But yeah he takes a **** pen so he’s awful.

It’s typical West Ham. Can’t see the forest for the trees when it comes to who the actual poor players in our team. Just blame the best one because he’s not Superman every single week and rifling in goals from defensive midfield.
Not saying he is awful at all

I just stand by my comment. I don't believe he is mature enough right now to be our captain.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Do you really think our performances would be any different if Nobes was still sitting on the bench this year?

Our problems are much deeper than that. The manager is doing a bad job.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:17 pm I don't believe he is mature enough right now to be our captain.
As he was captain last season, I'm not sure I agree.

However, if you add the word 'club' in there, then I think you're right.

The problem now of course, is now he has the armband, he's got to keep it. It wouldn't be right to give him it, then take it away.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

I have an Evertonian friend who was at the game. FWIW his take on Rice today was:-

'Rice was not as dominant as last season’s game at Goodison. Would attribute that to Gueye being excellent at breaking up play and Iwobi getting on the ball a lot more.

Very hard for a midfielder to look good when out of possession. The one thing that always stands out with Rice is his phenomenal work rate'.

It echoes my view, that Rice is still working hard but for some reason is not playing to the high standard he set for himself last year. Not sure why, maybe his head has been turned or maybe teams know how to contain him now.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm Do you really think our performances would be any different if Nobes was still sitting on the bench this year?

Our problems are much deeper than that. The manager is doing a bad job.
Whilst he isn't doing great ATM is he doing bad? He has how many new players to bed into the team at once? All these years of poor squad management coming home to roost

I mean as a squad now it's not awful at all but you could put out a back 4 plus keeper who were signed within the past 15 months

Too many players lost and replaced at once rather than gradual change

There are some class players in our squad and it will click I mean chelsea, spurs we played great football and forest but only 1 point from the lot
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:26 pm As he was captain last season, I'm not sure I agree.

However, if you add the word 'club' in there, then I think you're right.

The problem now of course, is now he has the armband, he's got to keep it. It wouldn't be right to give him it, then take it away.
It would be worse if we did

I'm not a fan of giving players your desperate to keep the armband early just to keep them happy.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

People questioning Rice's ability and captaincy is a joke IMO. He's the 1 single thing that is good about West Ham atm. If this was a souchek thread who has really gone off the boil and is offering little in defence and attack then I'd understand.
Downes needs to be given a try ASAP as he at least has bags of energy and can pass Where's souchek looks like he's burnt out sadly.
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

He’s struggling for form much like the rest of the team. Would like to see a Packet a Rice in front of a Defensive Midfielder. We did buy one right?
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

What sort of message does it send to the rest of the team when the captain is almost certainly off next season as a result of not wanting to sign a new deal?

Moyes is pandering to him by giving him the captaincy, and allowing him to try and be something he’s not. He’s a decent, not world class, DM. He will never be anything more than a below average AM, and it’s exposing the team defensively by continuing to allow him to make these attacking runs. If they actually resulted in anything then that would be fair enough, but every time he runs forward, he slows down as he approaches the box, then grinds to a halt as he doesn’t know what to do next.

He’s doing West Ham no good, and he’s doing himself no good.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

SullySpecial wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 pm Moyes is pandering to him by giving him the captaincy, and allowing him to try and be something he’s not. He’s a decent, not world class, DM. He will never be anything more than a below average AM, and it’s exposing the team defensively by continuing to allow him to make these attacking runs.
Why do people keep saying this? Have you watched his midfield partner this season? And last season. Stumbling over his own feet, passing the ball straight back to the opposition, generally looking shellshocked when the ball arrives at his feet.

Rice carries the ball forward for us because absolutely nobody else in our team can do it. Nobody.

And he doesn’t even try to do it as much as you’re making out. Most of the time he is our deepest midfielder.

Anyway - decent DM, below average AM. So he’s a below average to decent player? Yeah, nah.

Get Downes into the team next to him. It’s laughable that Moyes talks about us wanting to possess the ball more and control the game more, whilst still selecting Soucek.

Downes must be a dreadful player not to get a game for us. Except I’ve seen him once for us, and he clearly isn’t dreadful.

Moyes is ruining us with his nonsensical team selections. The way some are turning against Rice, who is pretty much our best performing player whenever we play a match, is proof of this.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

It's true. Soucek has been beyond woeful lately..

Remember that time Southampton subbed on a ringer, quickly twigged and hooked him again? Lately Tom looks like he has won a competition and been pulled out of the crowd.

With him as your midfield partner - what are you gonna do? It's clear Dec has lost faith in him. Rightly so..

Give the boy Downes a chance. No one cares who chose him. Needs must. We cannot retain possession or play between the lines with Tomas in the side.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

What I feared might happen, has come true and that's the overuse of both Rice and Bowen. I warned last season that they both risk suffering from burn out if they're played near enough all the time, as they've both also been selected for England Duty too. The schedule for both has been gruelling and it's of no coincidence that both quality players have simultaneously looked knackered and tired in mind and body.

I hold both Moyes and Southgate responsible. Some games they just didn't need to play in and even this season I've looked at Bowen who I felt needed dropping a few games ago.

They aint suddenly bad player's, they just need a rest and a breather from it all. They can't keep playing every single minute and not expect their form to suffer at some point. And god knows the state of them once they return from a probably long World Cup in the winter too - more so Captain Rice, as Bowen might miss out at this rate..
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Definitely more than one reason why his form has dropped and most listed here. Tiredness, club captain, and being let down by teammates. Personally I would say he is being let down by the manager too. Soucek needs dropping right now. That is a shame because Rice, like Bowen, needs a rest too.