Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Douthy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:27 pm Where has that Rice been all season
Playing Moyesball and baby sitting left backs.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Douthy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:27 pm Where has that Rice been all season
I’d say without the captaincy on his shoulders in a struggling team, where he can just be another player, much more free in his thinking and play
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

JohnnyLyall wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:50 am Playing Moyesball and baby sitting left backs.
And he still managed a very convincing win and performance even with Shaw at Left Back being a liability last night, making England play with 10 ten for the last 16 minute's (inc. injury time) remaining.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

That was a ridiculous red card
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

It is just the quality around him allowing him to have a more focused role. A fully fit Phillips is head and shoulders above Soucek. Bellingham is better than Paqueta. Throw in a couple of fullbacks who can progress the ball and attackers who aren't giving the ball away every 30 seconds and and he gets to focus on the stuff he is world class at.

He has to try and do everything for us and while he is good at most of it, he is world class at what he does for England.

Unfortunately at the point where he is wasted in our team.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Rice having a blinder which belies his form for his club, could be as simple as playing in a team that he wants to be playing in, rather than a team that he knows he will be departing from in a matter of weeks.

He's been playing for us recently like he has already checked out, which to some degree you can't blame him for - but nonetheless, it is us that still pay his wages.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Best player on the pitch, by some distance last night.
I think that Declan is just so good, that even when he’s not at his best which has been the case this season, he still stands out as our best player.
A lot has been said of the burden of captaincy and playing in a team low on confidence has dragged his level down. Unshackled from that last night he was immense, as we all know he can be.
Whatever happens I’m going to miss Declan terribly and sadly so will the team. Irreplaceable, regardless of how much dollar we get for him.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 am Rice having a blinder which belies his form for his club, could be as simple as playing in a team that he wants to be playing in, rather than a team that he knows he will be departing from in a matter of weeks.

He's been playing for us recently like he has already checked out, which to some degree you can't blame him for - but nonetheless, it is us that still pay his wages.
I honestly believe this to be the case. And I'm not the only one.

As I understand it, our poor form is partly down to having a club captain who doesn't want to be there, which is negatively impact the dressing room. I also believe Nolan has got the right pox with the situation as well as Moyes' handling of it.
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

The money spent wisely would improve the team.. Bit it won't be on past form.. So yes irreplaceable
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 am Rice having a blinder which belies his form for his club, could be as simple as playing in a team that he wants to be playing in, rather than a team that he knows he will be departing from in a matter of weeks.

Slightly harsh assessment imo. He is playing in a side with much better players when he turns out for England. That must help his own performance surely.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Kermit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:38 am Slightly harsh assessment imo. He is playing in a side with much better players when he turns out for England. That must help his own performance surely.
Having better players around him doesn't explain why he is busting a gut for the cause with an England shirt on whilst doing the opposite with a West Ham shirt on in recent games.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 am Having better players around him doesn't explain why he is busting a gut for the cause with an England shirt on whilst doing the opposite with a West Ham shirt on in recent games.
I would dispute he is "doing the opposite" in our colours tbh. By better players I wasn't just referring to skillsets. Bellingham for example is a far better player than Paqueta is ever likely to be and yet Bellingham's workrate is up there with the best. When playing for West Ham Rice, and one or two others like Fornals for example when he's on the pitch, have to compensate for the lack of industry from others in the team.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:33 am I honestly believe this to be the case. And I'm not the only one.

As I understand it, our poor form is partly down to having a club captain who doesn't want to be there, which is negatively impact the dressing room. I also believe Nolan has got the right pox with the situation as well as Moyes' handling of it.
I agree with some of that assessment
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Not for me.
The team was really positive with good players first half.
Rice was great.

Second half the whloe team dropped deeper, couldn't hold he ball and Rice along with everyone else was crap.

He isn't a one man army. He can't carry a whole team when England play like WHU.
Last edited by El brooko79 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Kermit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:50 am I would dispute he is "doing the opposite" in our colours tbh.
I'm sure you would dispute it, because in the eyes of many, he can do no wrong, yet his performances in the claret and blue over recent games haven't been particularly befitting for a supposedly £100 million player that last night showed exactly what he is capable of, something he has not done in our colours for a number of games.

Now whilst the finger can quite rightly be pointed towards Moyes for the most part, it's only Declan that is responsible for how he playes as an individual on the pitch - and I do not think anyone can deny that he has not been playing to anywhere near his usual high standards whilst playing for West Ham, and yet last night he had his best game that I have ever seen him have.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Interesting to hear Nolan's thoughts on the situation, albeit secondhand.

He was obviously a great captain when he was a player so probably knows a thing or two.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:10 am I'm sure you would dispute it, because in the eyes of many, he can do no wrong, yet his performances in the claret and blue over recent games haven't been particularly befitting for a supposedly £100 million player that last night showed exactly what he is capable of, something he has not done in our colours for a number of games.

Now whilst the finger can quite rightly be pointed towards Moyes for the most part, it's only Declan that is responsible for how he playes as an individual on the pitch - and I do not think anyone can deny that he has not been playing to anywhere near his usual high standards whilst playing for West Ham, and yet last night he had his best game that I have ever seen him have.
That first sentence seems harsh I think.

He hasn't played at his usual level recently, but it's still acceptable for some to think that's more a case of just playing some average football over the last month or two, as opposed to something more sinister like not busting a gut. Nobody plays at an elite level every game, De Bruyne has been benched at times this season for his struggles for example. I don't ever feel like I've seen Rice not try his best for us. I understand that trying his best will still result in the odd poor game or run of form.

On the whole over the course of this season so far, he's probably been our best player even so.

The issue I have is that Rice seems to be an easy target at times, and there are times when it even seems like he takes the blame for other player's inabilities to make simple passes or do the fundamentals.

He has had better games for us than he had for England yesterday. He has also had better games for England than he had yesterday.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 am Interesting to hear Nolan's thoughts on the situation, albeit secondhand.

He was obviously a great captain when he was a player so probably knows a thing or two.
Apart from at Christmas time... and when he had to run for the team.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 am Interesting to hear Nolan's thoughts on the situation, albeit secondhand.

What did Nolan say?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Are we not ignoring the bigger picture here? Noble left last summer with a huge void left in the squad.

We needed to bring in a couple of “leaders” into the dressing room to share the load and responsibility. We spunked the majority of our budget on two players who, and I’m not offering an opinion either way on them, have been disappointing so far and only starting to get to grips with the English language.

I’m close to someone who knows him very well and from everything I’ve heard about him, these comments are disappointing.

Pick a fight with the manager for his performance this season. Pick a fight with the owners for buying players the manager never fully wanted. Pick a fight with our defence who like to give away goals for fun. Pick a fight with our attackers not being able to finish their dinner.

Rice is not the problem. And there are plenty of other players whose threads should be on page 1 today criticising them for their efforts this year.