Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by S-H »

Here's your tin hat Shabs..
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 pm I think Lampard was worse because it was like a family member turning against you.

And players tended to stay with one club more back then.

Rice is a very good player but not West Ham in the way Lampard was.
Don't necessarily disagree with that to be fair. There was something very personal about the Lampard thing.

I guess my point is that Rice is probably the player I've liked most since I've supported us, so that's why I have to admit I'd find it gutting to see him turn out for a couple of teams in particular more than others.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:00 pm Don't necessarily disagree with that to be fair. There was something very personal about the Lampard thing.

I guess my point is that Rice is probably the player I've liked most since I've supported us, so that's why I have to admit I'd find it gutting to see him turn out for a couple of teams in particular more than others.
I think that as soon as we realised just how good Rice is we all knew he was going to leave us at some point & go to a Champions League level club.

Shame we almost made it there ourselves but we've now settled back into our relegation scrap level.

Players come & go nowadays so I don't feel an attachment like I used to with the boys from the 80s.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:36 pm
Shame we almost made it there ourselves but we've now settled back into our relegation scrap level.
That’s definitely the most gutting part of it all.

We were close. At least to that major European trophy (and the season of CL that comes with it).

But just fell those couple of games short. Like our dreams…
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 702 likes

Post by Pob! »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:39 pm So you won't answer the question then?

Can only speak for myself but it was quite annoying for years and years to have Lampard at Chelsea banging goals in against us and kissing the badge. Same with Defoe at Tottenham. Rio at Man U - wasn't bothered! I guess I'm averse to some clubs more than others.
I'll quite happily answer your question..
If Spurs Stump up that sort of dough I'm more than happy to wave him goodbye..

The reason why is because there is no loyalty in football now day's...
Decent players will always want to move on to more successful team's, the old saying the cream always rise's to the top comes to mind.
Trust me Declan won't look back once he's got a deal sorted with one of the big boys.
He wasn't afraid to upset a whole country when he swapped ROI for England he certainly won't be thinking about us when he's pulling on that white number 4 shirt once he's gone.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Arsenal make £60m bid for Brighton midfielder Moisés Caicedo
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 am Arsenal make £60m bid for Brighton midfielder Moisés Caicedo
hmmm interesting move, wonder if it will get others interested.... surely means they wont move for Dec in the summer if they land him
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 am Arsenal make £60m bid for Brighton midfielder Moisés Caicedo
At this rate Deccers will be busking outside the Etihad and Old Trafford on his days off.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think that I read somewhere that Arteta felt he had to go in for a midfielder because that Elneny bloke was injured.

That means that he's looking at keeping Caicedo in reserve and staying with Xhaka and Partey.

Adding in Declan does seem like overkill.

Thing is though that, if Arsenal take Caicedo, it might make Chelsea's wishes re Rice even stronger.

Its just much less likely that CFC are in the CL next season...

... :chin:
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 pm I think Lampard was worse because it was like a family member turning against you.

And players tended to stay with one club more back then.

Rice is a very good player but not West Ham in the way Lampard was.
It was a different time back then, especially with kids coming through the ranks... and lets have it right most of us knew quickly after watching Dec that it was a matter of time before he moved on, i didnt feel that re Frank at the time, I dont think many people saw the potential of the bloke and the player he became.

Ive had the view from his break through season that you enjoy watching Dec in our colours whilst you can
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Beat Derby on Monday night and we'll be in the last 16 of two competitions that get us the same level of competition as the team that finishes 5th.

Let's see how things unfold.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:00 pm Don't necessarily disagree with that to be fair. There was something very personal about the Lampard thing.

I was just as annoyed with some of the stuff Frank Snr. has come out with over the years.
Really disappointing from a former West Ham legend. :evil:
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 am Beat Derby on Monday night and we'll be in the last 16 of two competitions that get us the same level of competition as the team that finishes 5th.

Big if on Monday night, especially as our newly signed striker got injured in his first appearance and we will be missing. Also Kurt the cat lover.
Derby away in the Cup looks like one great big banana skin to me, and trust me I’ve seen plenty of them from 1970 onwards!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 am Beat Derby on Monday night and we'll be in the last 16 of two competitions that get us the same level of competition as the team that finishes 5th.

Irrelevant, a Chelsea finishing 5th and has the potential to push on is a totally different proposition to a West Ham that has a purple patch and wins the 3rd rate European competition.

Declan should be playing for the best clubs in Europe, we simply will never be one of those with these owners in charge.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Brighton have become a feeder club. White, Cucurella, Bisouma, Maupay, Trossard, Caicedo.

They're coining it in.
Last edited by WestHamLyallStyle on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

steady, we don't need too much of that positive thinking. However, I would add to your scenario:

a fighting chance, given the mid table congestion, of making top half by season end.

There said it. I accept it not certain, but it is possible. One very comparable team to West Ham will finish tenth this season.
:winker:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm Irrelevant, a Chelsea finishing 5th and has the potential to push on is a totally different proposition to a West Ham that has a purple patch and wins the 3rd rate European competition.

Declan should be playing for the best clubs in Europe, we simply will never be one of those with these owners in charge.
Oh dear.

Chelsea have f*** all guarantee of being a Champions League team these days.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Oh how I would love us to win the Conference League.

Sadly I don't even consider the FA Cup as it just feels impossible.

But the Conference is there for the taking if we buck up our act. The trophy alone is good enough for me and all I want out of supporting us, but yeah, who knows whether that plus another Europa campaign convinces Rice to extend the contract and his timeline an extra year.

Sure he can go and play CL and for a title contending side, but there's nothing wrong with another year of Europa football at West Ham. Could even right the wrong of last season.

I'll stop dreaming now. But yeah... please win something West Ham. This Conference campaign feels like our last stand. I pray we don't sacrifice it for the relegation cause.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:36 pm Oh dear.

Chelsea have **** all guarantee of being a Champions League team these days.
Who said anything about a guarantee of Champions League? No team does, look at Liverpool.

The fact is they have a **** load of money that they can throw at the "problem" to get them to likely to qualify regularly for the Champions League that we simply cant compete with.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

No club can spend at the level Chelsea are for any length of time.