Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by mumbles87 »

Chrissieboy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:22 am Definitely more than one reason why his form has dropped and most listed here. Tiredness, club captain, and being let down by teammates. Personally I would say he is being let down by the manager too. Soucek needs dropping right now. That is a shame because Rice, like Bowen, needs a rest too.
That's the point tho .. if he wasn't captain fine, he doesnt look right, players letting him down

But back to my point about his maturity to be our club captain.. he has to be bringing the players up and sorting things (as well as Moyes)

Leader on the pitch he is ok, but I don't think he is mature enough to handle the off the field stuff.

He was on tube and ang golf life the other week and he said he found it weird the texts off the players to sort stuff that noble used to sort
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

Chrissieboy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:22 am Definitely more than one reason why his form has dropped and most listed here. Tiredness, club captain, and being let down by teammates. Personally I would say he is being let down by the manager too. Soucek needs dropping right now. That is a shame because Rice, like Bowen, needs a rest too.
We do have options now though. Fornals should no longer be out on the left and can play central, Paqueta in the middle, Downes, Lanzini. We have options to allow players a rest. Same with Bowen, we can play Antonio out right or have 2 players behind our striker and not play a right winger.

Problem is, we know the team that’s going to be picked most weeks and the opposition do too. Spending the money we did should allow us to mix things up a bit.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Rice was fine yesterday, a solid performance where he was let down by the rest of the midfield (as was Antonio).

I really want to see him and Downes on the same midfield, as our passing is terrible currently (that’s not just because of Soucek though tbf).
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

The more I think about *that* Soucek pass (and the KUMB podcast just reminded me) the more Rice’s reaction annoys me.

Noble cannot come in quick enough to take some of the weight off Rice’s shoulders as he just isn’t there yet as a club captain.
unmartillo
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by unmartillo »

Genuine question - who would make a good captain in the team apart from Rice? Is that a ‘position’ in which we are deficient?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

unmartillo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:30 pm Genuine question - who would make a good captain in the team apart from Rice? Is that a ‘position’ in which we are deficient?
It is a good question. Dawson? Ogbonna? No obvious ones amongst the starters. Quite a meek squad.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1368 likes
Total likes: 986 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Dawson for me but he’d only be short term.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 202 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I honestly don't think Dec is playing to bad,the team are a little off so everyone is a litttle off it.....
Decs very Emotive,shows his feelings easily...that's all that was.

Lucky I wasn't on the Pitch cos Tomas would have got a "What the living F**k was that mate,C'MON...serious but well intentioned.
He'd understand..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

For Rice's high levels he's used to regularly reaching, he's playing poorly for him. He'll eventually play himself back in to consistent quality form but will probably take a bit more time. And then then the World Cup will arrive...

Burn-out City here we come! :fsake:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

unmartillo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:30 pm Genuine question - who would make a good captain in the team apart from Rice? Is that a ‘position’ in which we are deficient?
Well almost certainly we will be looking at another one next season and the current options Ogbonna, Cresswell and Dawson won’t be featuring.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Soucek, Cresswell, and Fabianski would be the more senior players that stand out immediately, to me.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:52 am Soucek, Cresswell, and Fabianski would be the more senior players that stand out immediately, to me.
Didn’t the club announce shared responsibility as vice-captain? Suggesting that there wasn’t a stand out option?
williamgb
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by williamgb »

MB wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:21 pm The more I think about *that* Soucek pass (and the KUMB podcast just reminded me) the more Rice’s reaction annoys me.

Noble cannot come in quick enough to take some of the weight off Rice’s shoulders as he just isn’t there yet as a club captain.
That's been on my mind too. It was appalling and it's not the first time he has reacted like that to a mistake from his teammate. A few yards from Rice we saw Kehrer react as a professional should and immediately started directing the defence in order to recover the position.

Rice is a wonderful player and seemingly an even better person but he has been showing uncharacteristic immaturity since the latter stages of last season.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Kehrer.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Rice has suffered a bit when asked to play a bit further (vs. Soucek) forward in our system when we’re not being allowed to counter attack. We have all rightfully praised his ability on the ball, and his ability to find cutting or crossfield balls and put them right on the money. He’s better at these things than maybe any other DM on this planet, and in terms of finding these passes from deep areas he’s better than many players on the planet (of any position).

When he’s expected to move further forward and not be the deepest DM however, and other teams specifically set up to not let us counter, it’s not so much that he isn’t capable of moving the ball at this level (or isn’t doing it well, albeit he’s been off his best), it’s that he’s just less often in positions to show off the above abilities. In previous seasons we haven’t had many other players with his ability on the ball and we were permitted to counter, so we needed to allow him to get forward more and when he did there was often more space. Now he’s doing this with less space and movement around him, and he’s still expected to be a defensive monster, which maybe gets him stuck in two minds.

On paper, we now should have enough quality in attacking roles that someone like Rice should be able to stay in his best position and do the things he does better than most on this planet, and still have us able to build attacks. We also should have enough quality against many teams for Decs to be the sole dedicated DM.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:31 pm Well almost certainly we will be looking at another one next season and the current options Ogbonna, Cresswell and Dawson won’t be featuring.
Ognonna is still my pick right now. Embodies all we want from a player.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:52 am Soucek, Cresswell, and Fabianski would be the more senior players that stand out immediately, to me.
First two aren’t good enough to play for us and, I love Fab, but his days are numbered due to his age.

Rice is the only real option as captain and I’m surprised so many are suggesting he shouldn’t be.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Believer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:49 am We do have options now though. Fornals should no longer be out on the left and can play central, Paqueta in the middle, Downes, Lanzini. We have options to allow players a rest. Same with Bowen, we can play Antonio out right or have 2 players behind our striker and not play a right winger.

Problem is, we know the team that’s going to be picked most weeks and the opposition do too. Spending the money we did should allow us to mix things up a bit.
Yeah, I would be making those changes but we know Moyes is less likely to. Let's see after these boring internationals are over.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

one down one more international to go.

rice is playing better and played well last night.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:24 am one down one more international to go.

rice is playing better and played well last night.
I thought he was poor ...

For me none of that team last night came out with a well done including Rice.