Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Ozza »

szola wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 am I don't think the club has a realistic option in extending the contract, even if contains such a clause.
The backlash would outweigh the positive of having a player of his caliber in the team.

We'd get a better price and a happier team, if Rice leaves when he wants to.
This literally makes no sense
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:53 pm I recently gave my word to Angelina Jolie that I'd promise to buy her an Island and help raise all her kids if she agreed to come to the Old Trafford FA Cup game with me donned in my white Brooking Cup shirt whilst taking it up the arse screaming out to everyone on national telly, "West Ham are massive everywhere we go!"
Yep, and if your social contract said that all the above was ‘against the rules’, you’d be in breach of that contract and should expect some sort of repercussions for doing so.

But the fact that Angelina is with me that night and would have to decline is besides the point. :grin:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we will extend his contract by taking up the option to protect the price and help force the move this summer rather than wait another year.
If he wants to go no point having an unhappy player on our books. 120m will do us nicely.

pays for a new CM LB CF CB we could even be a better team without him.

love dec as a player but club comes first. I will however clap him when he comes back but hope he loses when he does !
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

The club has an option to extend his contract by one year.

If the player wants to leave, I would sell.

If we force a player to stay, he will not perform to the level that he can. If he doesn't perform, his price will drop.
If the team's captain is looking for a way out, and we make him stay, by extending his contract against his will, the negativity will spread in the team.

We'll end up with a lesser player on the pitch, a worse team morale, and lower price when we will sell.

So we have the legal option to extend, but that doesn't mean it would be the best financial nor sporting option.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

i think it helps protect the price. I would imagine we have agreed this with dec as its a technicality . we agree to sell once a figure is reached.

man utd chelsea arsenal or liverpool

london favourite this time
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

So if nobody offered us what we wanted in the summer, you’re suggesting we just let him walk for free next summer instead of taking the extra year and selling him then? If we need to activate the extra year, of course we will be doing it.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

It’s got nothing to do with making him stay, he’ll go in the summer, but we will exercise the year to protect him from walking for nothing and to maximise the money we get for him.

In other news, still too many stories about Arsenal wanting him and Arteta personally being involved in it… Personally i think he goes there
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by DenziMart »

Ozza wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 am In other news, still too many stories about Arsenal wanting him and Arteta personally being involved in it… Personally i think he goes there
Him joining Arsenal was seen as a joke a year back, now it's being seen as a realistic proposition due to them having a good season. Makes you wonder what would have happened had we strengthened last Winter when we were 4th and managed to get into Champions League.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

think you are right. shame. I`d hoped he would go to RM Bayern or Barca so I could still have his shirt
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

DenziMart wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:18 am Him joining Arsenal was seen as a joke a year back, now it's being seen as a realistic proposition due to them having a good season. Makes you wonder what would have happened had we strengthened last Winter when we were 4th and managed to get into Champions League.
Reckon he’d still be off, but yeah who knows…

If you think about it 12 months has changed the landscape hugely for Dec, all of sudden MU look to have sorted themselves out and are an option, Arsenal the same, Chelsea and Liverpool are all over the place and then there’s Newcastle…

Amazing how things have changed around
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Has a West Ham player ever signed for Arsenal?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am Has a West Ham player ever signed for Arsenal?
Great question….. not that I can think of, plenty of examples from the other way
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am Has a West Ham player ever signed for Arsenal?
It would be a big step down, I doubt it has ever happened.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

szola wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:03 am I can't see us being able to take up the option. With the state of our team compared to the CL chasing teams, we're in no place to make an England international wait for a transfer another summer.
What? Bar a stupidly high offer from City, PSG, Real, there is 100% probability we take the extra year. No club would ever decide to not keep his value up.

And you say his heart isn't in it? He looks fully in and committed. In fact, no one on the team looks like they care more about the games, performances and results than him.
I am Legend

Post by I am Legend »

If Rice leaves it will be a huge team who wins trophies regularly. He won't join a London rival who've been good for one season. Arsenal might collapse in a few weeks for all we know. They are currently flying but no one knows if it is just a one season wonder or they are actually better than most teams.

Again, can't see him going to a London rival. It would be the end for the owners who did that.
szola

Post by szola »

If we opt to extend his contract against his will, I don't think he'll play as well as he does at the moment.
I can't see us being able to drive up his price if that were the case in the summer of '24.
And if the captain has clearly other plans, and is unhappy, will others step up and be the captain on the pitch and outside?

If he accepts that we extend his contract, fine. No worries.

For me, he is holding most of the cards, and playing them well by keeping quiet.
I'm not saying he isn't committed at the moment. However that might change if we don't accept high bids for him this summer.
There are too many articles about big bids already been made for him, that we'll end up with zero offers in the summer I think.

If our valutation of him is say £120M, and we recieve only offer from one team and one team only, of £100M, we'll be in a very difficult spot. And I'd rather we sell, re-invest and move on, than extend his contract for another year. For me the risks would be too high, if Declan doesn't want to extend the contract as well.
szola

Post by szola »

I am Legend wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:12 pmAgain, can't see him going to a London rival.
and I can't see him wanting to move elsewhere
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I am Legend wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:12 pm Again, can't see him going to a London rival. It would be the end for the owners who did that.
Not really. We’ll accept bids from those who pay what we’re asking for.

The caveat is a Chelsea bid as that’s where he would “prefer” to go.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I'm just going to enjoy the next few months of watching Rice play for us.

Far too much discussion here of where we'll sell him to and how much he'll go for.

Just enjoy watching him and soak up every minute of it for now, then worry about any of that after the season has ended.
I am Legend

Post by I am Legend »

szola wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:32 pm If he accepts that we extend his contract, fine. No worries.

He has no choice. He signed the contract knowing this. He is committed and happy here.

There are too many articles about big bids already been made for him, that we'll end up with zero offers in the summer I think.

Possibly, so far we've had no big bids for him. And I don't think any of the clubs who can afford his record British price, need him yet.

If our valutation of him is say £120M, and we recieve only offer from one team and one team only, of £100M, we'll be in a very difficult spot. And I'd rather we sell, re-invest and move on, than extend his contract for another year. For me the risks would be too high, if Declan doesn't want to extend the contract as well.

No investment will find us better off. No player of his quality will ever sign for us. He is more valuable to us than 100m. Hell, we spent near that on Anderson, Haller and Vlasic. We'll waste it like we did Rio money. It never works out, it only weakens you. Unless you have a set up like Brighton, Brentford or past Southampton. Which we are the furthest team from that sort of set up.

I understand where you are coming from and your mind set but currently he is happy, there has been no bids for him and he hasn't shown any signs he wants to leave. He has been most professional and the fact he seems to be honouring his contract speaks a lot about him.

Until he asks for a transfer, we should expect the year extension and then see if City, Newcastle, Real, PSG want him. If not then Liverpool, Man United will continue their rebuilds. Under no circumstances can he be sold to a London rival like Chelsea and Arsenal. It would be suicide for owners.