Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Hugh Jargon »

We offered Rice a 80 million pound contract. He ain't interested.

Hopefully Madrid come in for him and he goes abroad.

I hope he goes out as a winner. One of our greatest ever players imo
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

£100m brought in and spent on players who can impact the team in a similar way to Arnautovic, Lingard, Soucek (for 15 games) and Bowen did would be incredible and potentially new-era defining business.

£100m brought in and spent on players who offer what Scamacca, Vlasic and Kral did and it will be another relegation battle (but without Declan and with Antonio with even older).

I’m confident Rice is leaving this summer - if he does, we have to get the signings right.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think there is a great deal of sense across the board in Declan staying for one more year, particularly if we win in a couple of weeks.

For us - we keep our legendary captain for another European campaign.

For Dec - he gets to lead his club again in Europe as a champion and then have his pick of teams next summer whilst his season leading up to Euros is uninterrupted by any change in situation.

Financially - we can still sell him next summer for a very solid fee, probably around £70m, whilst we pretty much make up the rest in keeping him and benefitting from his presence on the pitch to finish us higher in the league and deeper into Europe.

Emotionally - the bond between Declan and West Ham would reach huge levels at which point we can then see him off to a true Champions League contender as truly one of us.
BigManInAfrica
Has liked: 7 likes

Post by BigManInAfrica »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:05 pm We offered Rice a 80 million pound contract. He ain't interested.

Hopefully Madrid come in for him and he goes abroad.

I hope he goes out as a winner. One of our greatest ever players imo
Wasn't this an eight-year contract on offer or something ridiculous like that? Almost like they didn't really want him to sign, but just wanted to look like they were trying to keep him at West Ham. A more serious offer would have been a two or three-year extension to his existing contract at wages that matched his status in the game. (Not that I am arguing about his not being interested. He almost certainly isn't, and definitely not for 8 years as illustrated by his rejection of the offer.)
danno
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by danno »

If kretinsky is serious about owning west ham isn't having Declan rice value impact the value of the club he is away to buy. And if the current board (hypothetically) has a gentleman's agreement to let him go, could he step in and say...I want him to stay and are willing to invest the amount we would get for rice ....by not selling your greatest asset. Seems a bit naive but I has to be a consideration. If we're going to spend 100m anyway with no guarantee we can improve the squad minus rice doesn't seem like a sund business decision. I know rice won't sign but as many posters say here another year and who knows who good europa run who knows ...clutching I know.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

danno wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:33 pm If kretinsky is serious about owning west ham isn't having Declan rice value impact the value of the club he is away to buy. And if the current board (hypothetically) has a gentleman's agreement to let him go, could he step in and say...I want him to stay and are willing to invest the amount we would get for rice ....by not selling your greatest asset. Seems a bit naive but I has to be a consideration. If we're going to spend 100m anyway with no guarantee we can improve the squad minus rice doesn't seem like a sund business decision. I know rice won't sign but as many posters say here another year and who knows who good europa run who knows ...clutching I know.
You're not clutching, it's a perfectly reasonable position.

If Mr Kretinsky goes ahead with the purchase then I would like to see him put down a marker.....

"We ain't a selling club" is the line he should be taking

He's got the money to take a long term view and do it too
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Exactly what we should do regardless of ownership

£120m by X date otherwise he stays. No way we should leave ourselves with a piggy bank full of cash trying to buy the players towards the end
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

BigManInAfrica wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:47 pm Wasn't this an eight-year contract on offer or something ridiculous like that? Almost like they didn't really want him to sign, but just wanted to look like they were trying to keep him at West Ham. A more serious offer would have been a two or three-year extension to his existing contract at wages that matched his status in the game. (Not that I am arguing about his not being interested. He almost certainly isn't, and definitely not for 8 years as illustrated by his rejection of the offer.)
That makes no sense. They showed ambition by offering him a £200,000 a week wage for 8 years with an option for another 2 years because quite rightly they lile us value him highly as a World Class player who we'd all like to keep. Had it preferred to have taken up the offer, then that is what would have happened.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:05 pm That makes no sense. They showed ambition by offering him a £200,000 a week wage for 8 years with an option for another 2 years because quite rightly they lile us value him highly as a World Class player who we'd all like to keep. Had it preferred to have taken up the offer, then that is what would have happened.
Come on no one signs an 8 + 2 year contact.
Ridiculous.
It wasn't a gesture for the media/fans nothing else
Couldn't wait to release it to the media
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

El brooko79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 pm Come on no one signs an 8 + 2 year contact.
Ridiculous.
Exactly this.

Haaland is the model now for any top young pro - sign a lucrative, medium-term contract, but release-claused to the max.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

El brooko79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 pm Come on no one signs an 8 + 2 year contact.
Ridiculous.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... 959475.amp
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

If we’d offered the same with 3 years, option 1 and 120m release I bet he’d have signed

It was just sullivan trying to offer contracts that wouldn’t be signed. Not many players will sign 8 year contracts and especially not to a club like us
Colours never run

Denilson for 10 years at Real Betis

Inaki Williams 9 years for Athletic Bilbao

Saul Niguez 9 years for Atletico Madrid

Mudryk 8+ for Chelsea

It does happen and I certainly don't blame the Club for trying. Another player who values money and security more than their footballing ambition would have taken it up and I admire Rice for resisting it because he wants to achieve the most he can in the game.

It's not like the Club didn't offer 3 other rejected deals either or indeed sign a 6 year deal that he's still on..

'The Hammers are in ongoing discussions with Rice, who has rejected three deals from his club so far'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skys ... until-2024

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... -week.html
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:38 pm Denilson for 10 years at Real Betis

Inaki Williams 9 years for Athletic Bilbao

Saul Niguez 9 years for Atletico Madrid

Mudryk 8+ for Chelsea

It does happen and I certainly don't blame the Club for trying. Another player who values money and security more than their footballing ambition would have taken it up and I admire Rice for resisting it because he wants to achieve the most he can in the game.
Imo it was a b*llocks contract that 99% of normal footballers would not sign. Certainly not at Rice's level.
Token propaganda gesture.

As to not blaming the club for trying.
How about we don't live and breathe a professional **** show so we don't need to make stupid token contract offers.
Club is run appallingly badly, the infrastructure and planning is practically non existent. But hey they offered Rice a 8-10 year deal so did all they could. Atleast they tried.
Colours never run

You can easily dismiss the 8 year contract all you like, they still tried with 3 other offers before that too.

Not everything they do is a load of b*llocks (a lot of it is) and fans certainly weren't dismissing or moaning about the 6 and a half year contract Rice did agree to sign up too at West Ham.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:11 pm You can easily dismiss the 8 year contract all you like, they still tried with 3 other offers before that too.

Not everything they do is a load of b*llocks (a lot of it is) and fans certainly weren't dismissing or moaning about the 6 and a half year contract Rice did agree to sign up too at West Ham.
Respect you opinion mate, and we all have our own views and won't really convince anyone on a forum to see it differently.
But they for me they/he is so out of his depth he cannot see no way Rice signs an 8 year deal or its for show to suggest everything possible was done. Neither ideal.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I see both arguments. But Rice was never going to sign such a long-term deal, not with his ambitions. He needs some control over his footballing future and being tied into an 8 year deal would be madness. Look at Kane. As stated above, a sensible extension of a year or two may have satisfied both parties but 8 years... that just feels like the old 'we tried' thing again.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Man Utd buy marble chops from the vermin and Rice they could win the league next season.
Colours never run

If they only offered the 8 year deal I could believe they were just full of **** regarding persuading Rice to stay. However they also offered 3 other rejected deals, which presumably was for less than the last mega deal offered to try and convince him. It appears they tried everything to persuade him to sign and ultimately nothing has managed to convince him to stay for understandable footballing reasons. Which his camp have claimed indirectly/directly with regards to Champions League football that we cannot offer him.

The deal they did manage to convince him whilst he was still fairly new to the Premier League was a huge 6 and a half year deal. Even that seemed highly unlikely before he signed and yet he did so and I know I was ecstatic at the time thinking f*** me, I cannot believe we've managed to convince him to sign that length of contract and with no caveats either with regards to clauses.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Moyes is pragmatic about the Rice situation. He wants to get max price for him and replace him with 3 or 4 I think. He did that with Rooney and brags he improved the team