Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Puff Daddy »

Pete647580 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 pm

I've always seen Rice as a brilliant spoiler of opposition attacks. What we need though is a brilliant creator he can give the ball to every time he wins it.

I can imagine Brian Clough saying to Rice: 'win the ball, give it to X. That's all I need you to do'. And Clough would have signed an X.

That's probably why we wanted Calvin Phillips who incidentally, I cant see getting many minutes at Man City but I don't suppose he's too fussed about that. Just pick up his pay cheque and rot in the reserves from.niwvuntil next May
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Rewatching their goal, and it looks like it was Rice who abandoned Lingard that left Jesse so open. I don't know whether someone else was crapping out on their job and Dec was trying to compensate, but it was the vacuum he created that gave Lingard the opportunity to (not) score.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

He was poor today by his standards. Hopefully a one off and not a Joe Root oh god I’m captain now breakdown.

I think Fornals playing more games in the 10/8 hybrid role will help Rice and Soucek. Both need a trusted player to lay off to. Soucek because we don’t want him carrying the ball and Rice because we don’t want him playing the final pass (and definitely not shooting!).

But a top notch 10 would be much, much better but it seems we cannot attract one of those.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Ross Barkley would be the best 10 we currently had. That's pretty damning for me.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

MB wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:56 pm He was poor today by his standards. Hopefully a one off and not a Joe Root oh god I’m captain now breakdown.
Wait a minute... isn't Joe Root pretty much the only England captain in history whose form actually improved after being made captain?? :grin:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:25 pm Wait a minute... isn't Joe Root pretty much the only England captain in history whose form actually improved after being made captain?? :grin:
What's his average since he stopped? 98 or something. It was massively holding him back and he wasn't good at it.

Early days for Rice.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:39 pm Maybe he has started to believe his own hype?

Shocking penalty today.
Just because he stepped up for a penalty today doesn’t mean he is getting Billy big b*llocks.

There was no obvious penalty taker on the pitch today with Lanzini being dropped. Before today Rice had scored one well taken pen and hit the post with another so probably thought he was as good a shout as anyone to take the penalty.

The problem was he also went bottom left on both of those occasions and you can’t keep placing your penalties in the same place.

In any case I imagine Scamacca will be our penalty taker before long.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The bloke had an iffy game yesterday. Since he's played for us as a teenager I can count on one hand how many times that has happened.

But some of the stuff in this thread is truly embarrassing and some of it from a "mod" that have been waiting a while to put the boot in.

Questioning his commitment, name calling...... wtf is that about?
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:10 am The bloke had an iffy game yesterday. Since he's played for us as a teenager I can count on one hand how many times that has happened.

But some of the stuff in this thread is truly embarrassing and some of it from a "mod" that have been waiting a while to put the boot in.

Questioning his commitment, name calling...... wtf is that about?
A mod is not allowed to have an opinion? I think Rice is getting above himself too. He is a great DM and could be one of the best in the world. He thinks he is more than that and it affects his game. A number of other players could have taken that penalty. He is no Noble and no goalscorer. Heand Spucek have lost their way as a partnership. Whether that is bad coaching or bad communication I do not know, but amongst our many problems since last December that is one of the most key.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:10 am

It's nothing I've not said before when everyone has been blowing smoke up his arse, so it may pay to get your facts right, as you've been here long enough to see that I'm not one to change my opinions depending on which way the wind may blow or if he's had a bad game.

Disagree with my opinions by all means, but don't start making stuff up by saying I've only posted my opinions of him because he had a bad game.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

He's not been his self since he done the "it's only live once" Sky campaign...

:grin:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

has started poorly by his high standards as has bowen. I am sure he will be back to his best soon. lets start supporting our players rather than slag them off when they have a dodgy spell.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

As soon as the penalty was awarded, my immediately thought was right, who have we on the pitch to take this ? My next thought was Cresswell would be a good shout Then I saw Declan with the ball in his hands. Can't explain it, but somehow, I just had this sickening feeling he'd miss. Maybe, that was because, by then it just seemed to be one of those days, where nothing was gonna go right
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

I see its Declan's turn to get a kicking from some on here.

How dare he miss a penalty and have a dodgy match........

The kid (Yes, he is still a kid) is learning his trade and what is needed for him to be not only a great footballer, but our captain.

For those that need reminding, he is amazingly consistent and always gives his all in matches.

He's got a lot to learn and he will learn a lot from the match yesterday.

Enjoy watching him folks because he will undoubtably go on to much bigger and better things and he will be hard to replace.

As others have said, he's good enough to play anywhere.

I hope he wins a sackload of trophies.

One for us would be nice. :wink:

Onwards and upwards.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

he didn't have his best game but was still decent IMHO - a solid 7

He remains the only player who can link defence and attack either with the ball at his feet or by passing through the lines and the only player who ever seems to make himself available for the ball

It is either give it to Rice and hope he can beat the first press or lump it long. They are our options

Stick q midfielder alongside him who can control and pass the ball and Rice wouldn't have to try and do so much

We have had other players who have been extremely important to our recent (relative) success but none have been qs important or as influential as Rice

Off the pitch he isn't totally my cup of tea eith all.vis social media stuff and I find his love in with Mount very sickly but the Engliah media absolutely love him because he is brilliant in interviews and has a lot of personality about him

Still the best player, relative to his standing in world football, we have had since Moore IMHO - and he will captain England, win way over 100 caps and more than likely captain a club side to Premier League qnd Chakpions League trophies
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer

Regarding the penalty, maybe no other player put themselves forward in training as wanting to take one

It was a **** penalty but one thing Rice never does is hides or shirks esponsibility, whether that be on or off the pitch
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

totally agree crouchy. lets enjoy him whilst we have him. I wish we had a creative midfielder in there with him who could spot a forward pass. the only player we have that can do that regularly is fornals who mostly plays out of position. Thats why I would love to see us sign someone like maddison. good young player whi is excellent at set pieces, scores goals and looks forward. Dec could then do what he is good at rather than trying to do it all. would cost a lot to get him though but would be a statement signing and what we need.

rice soucek maddison with cover from downes and coventry. would be excellent. we could even afford to rotate a bit !

lets start supporting players through this dodgy start we are having. its 2 games in. we lost to man city no disgrace and should have beaten forest easily but for bad luck. another day we win 4-1 . perspective.

I have a feeling we will beat our bogey team this weekend.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

I thought he looked tired, mentally and physically yesterday which is not surprising given the workload he's had the last 18 months, and no respite with the WC coming up.

He needs support on both fronts to get the best out of him.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 am Regarding the penalty, maybe no other player put themselves forward in training as wanting to take one

It was a **** penalty but one thing Rice never does is hides or shirts responsibility, whether that be on or off the pitch
He isn't doing anyone any favours stepping up for them .
Don't belive for minute Benrahma wouldn't take it.

Hopefully that's the last of it for us but I reckon he will be taking a pen in the WC at some point.
Crouchend_Hammer

The mental tiredness is very valid SP
He is the face of the club and is also nor far off the face of the England national team at the moment. I expect at west ham he gets 90% of the media requests that come in.
There isn't another player in England at the moment that has such a dominant profile vs team mates.
The media clamour for him. He is in huge demand on and off the pitch.
His future career is constantly being discussed - will he go? Where will he go? Is he next England captain?

I imagine that is draining at times