Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by bubbles1966 »

S-H wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:50 am They have an infrastructure in place that allows you to compete, it's been built upon the foundations of repeated success, whereas West Ham do not.
The broader point is that Newcastle's wealth means that this entrenched position is threatened.

If Newcastle are added to the usual 6, it means 7 clubs fighting for 4 CL places - so at least three will always miss out, and that assumes no interlopers like us or Leicester as well.

Every year outside the top 4 is like a financial relegation for these clubs.

Going back to us - we have managed successive european qualifications and still have two routes in this year.

The club was able to stump up £180m gross on players. Qualify again, and who knows - they may be able to do it again. they should certainly be able to find another £100m-£120m without selling Rice.

The club made more money than AC Milan last year.

An astutely spent £150m will outrun a badly spent £400m.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:37 pm He won't be a bench sitter.
And if he leaves for Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City or Liverpool it is as close to a certainty you can get in football that he will play at least some seasons in the Champions League and win a couple of trophies. He would be very very unlucky not to.

Anyway if he goes somewhere and they end up doing **** for an extended period (very unlikely) he will just end signing for someone else
Thing is Mate...the sides you mention their strengh is the Squad...not many are def starters...he's a full on starter for us,he won't
be anywhere else...Rodri,Casemiro,Partey..all as good if not better than Dec,and as for being a box to boxer,think he can forget that if he
moves on as well,way to many great players at these clubs,who are often themselves sat watching the game,even big games in Europe,
it's the way it is now...Squad game not an 11 man game with subs..

It's where we need to get, Guys on the Bench that should be Starting,that are used tactically,not cos someone gets a knock or for a 10
minute run out.....if could keep everyone fit,we we're getting there.

Also don't think the so called " Top 6" are guaranteed a Top 4/6 finish anymore...sides are catching up now,Geordies be there for
Forseeable,Brighton,could well gate crash this year,Fulham.Brentford not far of the pace...Chelsea and Scouse are feeling it
now,not just us...Leagues getting a lot tougher now.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

All opinions fo course but he is better than Partey IMBO and q lot younger than Casemeiro and Rodri
I am sure he knows he won't play every week but there are 60 odd games to go round qnd he wil back himself to be one of the 'first choices'
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Rodri is only 26

Casemiro and Partey though for sure.

who knows, although players might want to play every game, he'd welcome a couple of days off.

Henderson is the one I most likely see him as a replacement for.

reckon Dec is better than Fabinho who is 29 but with the way he plays could go on for a few more top seasons as will Casemiro. and both have a wealth of European experience to use.

he probably also sees that if Caicedo goes to Arsenal that's another club off the list. so he'd more than likely take a look of going while there's a spot for him.

this time last year, in general, no one was putting Bellingham either on a par, or above him. lots can change in 12 months. injuries etc. drop off in form. were I him, and of course I'm not, I'd be looking to go this summer while his stock is really high. who also knows how those 60 games a season will take it's toll in a couple of years. might be that a Mo Salah for instance is in decline.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Apart from the wants to win things argument,where to go.
I just honestly can't see what's best for him so many ifs and buts and maybes...
Doe's he wanna move North...Would he join another London club,knowing how we would feel about it..lots of players the majority in
fact this doesn't enter the equation....they move where the money is,move where they want,where they fancy living for a while,usually
they have no affinity to a club...they kiss the badge and so on but the real love isn't there,cos they've moved around,played in different countries
etc....If they do have an affintity and leave the club they love for whatever reason,it's quite often a move to another Euro League.
Another Country...Casemiro recently...
Dec has become a Hammer now,9 years with us,we are his club....Bonzo was a Charlton man born and bred played 3 years for them..
Where's his heart at now tho,who are his club....Us.

Bit old school thinking I know,but feel with Dec this Factors in to any thinking,least I reckon so...but he aint as of yet signed up
to a bloody amazing contract,so obviously keeping options open..(Personally think the Drop is on his mind with that)

End of the day,we stay up and he leaves,I'll be a little Pi**ed of and disapointed...we Drop..Different game, I'll wish him good luck
elsewhere,can't expect him to risk his career that much,we might not come back for a while.
I'd be off in his shoes,so understand that.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

thamesideiron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:27 am
Bit old school thinking I know,but feel with Dec this Factors in to any thinking,least I reckon so...but he aint as of yet signed up
to a bloody amazing contract,so obviously keeping options open..(Personally think the Drop is on his mind with that)

End of the day,we stay up and he leaves,I'll be a little Pi**ed of and disapointed...we Drop..Different game, I'll wish him good luck
elsewhere,can't expect him to risk his career that much,we might not come back for a while.
I'd be off in his shoes,so understand that.
He will have options in the summer but I don't expect 3+ clubs to be in for him.
So really depends on circumstances (CL) and money available.
Don't see Arsenal dropping £80m on Rice if they sign Caicedo.
Liverpool need a major rebuild and will see if they need to spread the budget.

Not sure any of them will want to spend that much so think it will be Chelsea and Man Utd trying to offload players they don't need to reduce his price. I expect us to be offered the likes of Gallagher, RLC, McTominay, Elanga maybe Maguire, Broja (if ok).

I'll be disappointed when he leaves. Not p!shed with him. See nothing to suggest in his words that his love of west ham would make him sacrifice his career.

Only positive albeit very unlikely possibility might be no one wants to pay £80m this summer. We win ECL and he stays for one last crack at EL - leaves the following summer for £40m.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

He's gone in the summer
SteveHarris'bass
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by SteveHarris'bass »

Rice has no more loyalty to West Ham United than he had to the Republic of Ireland.

He'll be gone in the summer, we just have to hope the money the club get for him is spent wisely. :hammb:
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

I noticed tonight he has 1241 tattooed on his leg, I'm guessing squad numbers?. Youth and first team.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

it is the chronological number of his England cap i.e he is the 1241st player to play (I think)
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Played well tonight.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:42 pm Played well tonight.
Because he finally sat for once
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Vienna wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:24 pm I noticed tonight he has 1241 tattooed on his leg, I'm guessing squad numbers?. Youth and first team.
Tattoos?!?
And golf?!?
And Muller Rice adverts?!?

Twist.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Vienna wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:24 pm I noticed tonight he has 1241 tattooed on his leg, I'm guessing squad numbers?. Youth and first team.
I think it’s Sulli’s height in mm
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Reading a lot last night that fans want him to sit back more. Personally I think it's something of a waste of his talents. Yes, he's great at breaking up play, but he's just as good at dribbling, short passes and keeping the ball in tight areas. We've seen him 'just sit' for England and I've found it bloody depressing, it's like a caged animal.
He clearly still needs practice at it, but he's got the attributes to be one of the best box-to-box midfielders.

I find the Soucek argument ludicrous. Soucek still has priority over Rice for getting forward, he's just not that good as a player and offers little when we have the ball.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chelsea in the summer. Was told today by a friend of the family.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm Chelsea in the summer. Was told today by a friend of the family.
He has always wanted to go back there. If Chelsea make an offer, he will want that move.

People are going to just have to deal with that.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm Chelsea in the summer. Was told today by a friend of the family.
See. for me, if Chelsea were serious about setting up a side that was going to repeatedly do well in the league and CL, they would be addressing more quickly their problems at the two ends of the pitch.

They haven't got either a top, top class striker, or a similarly decent GK.

They do however have ridiculous spending power.
Patcho
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Patcho »

SteveHarris'bass wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:39 pm Rice has no more loyalty to West Ham United than he had to the Republic of Ireland.

He'll be gone in the summer, we just have to hope the money the club get for him is spent wisely. :hammb:
He's been at West Ham 10 years 🤷‍♂️
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Patcho wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:43 pm He's been at West Ham 10 years 🤷‍♂️
Yep, 10 years after Chelsea, his beloved boyhood Club remember, chucked him on the scrapheap only for West Ham to save him.