Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Believer »

Whoever buys Bellingham should have a rummage down the sofa and in the car glovebox to find the necessary funds for Rice as well. They would dominate whatever league they’re in for the next 5 years minimum.

Alternatively, we should buy Bellingham ! 😂
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Believer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:50 am Alternatively, we should buy Bellingham ! 😂
Harry Kane might fancy playing in Europe next year too.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am I think Rice is gone. I think we all know that after an incredibly tough season, his mind is made up. Now it’s just which clubs come forward with a bid. His team will have been in discussions with Arsenal, Man United and City for over a year.

He wouldn’t be actively saying anything before our biggest game in decades, but I’m sure he’ll mention something along the lines of “We’ll see what happens in the summer, but if that’s my last game” etc after the final.

It’ll be a shame but we also can’t be daft and risk losing him for more money than he’s worth, or even worse on a free.
I get this stance, however, I've also seen years and years of poorly spent money, summer budgets being cut as sales money seems to make the spend look bigger, and the selling off of our only truly exceptional talents. So for me, keep Rice and enjoy him for one more season. Spend on his real replacement this year so as not to be done over a barrel and let the chairmen fund it all from the already ludicrous cash involved in Prem and European football. I think the chairmen would love the chat of sell Rice whilst we can
Last edited by SiO on Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:44 pm
He's Tony Kroos' replacement.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am I think Rice is gone. I think we all know that after an incredibly tough season, his mind is made up. Now it’s just which clubs come forward with a bid. His team will have been in discussions with Arsenal, Man United and City for over a year.

He wouldn’t be actively saying anything before our biggest game in decades, but I’m sure he’ll mention something along the lines of “We’ll see what happens in the summer, but if that’s my last game” etc after the final.

It’ll be a shame but we also can’t be daft and risk losing him for more money than he’s worth, or even worse on a free.
Mason Mount has one year remaining on his contract and is about to be sold for £55m-£60m.
Why is it draft to sell him for £60m next summer?
He is reportedly only on £60k a week and it's not as if weve paid any money to buy him
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

SiO wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:55 am :heartshaped;

I get this stance, however, I've also seen years and years of poorly spent money, summer budgets being cut as sales money seems to make the spend look bigger, and the selling off of our only truly exceptional talents. So for me, keep Rice and enjoy him for one more season. Spend on his real replacement this year so as not to be done over a barrel and let the chairmen fund it all from the already ludicrous cash involved in Prem and European football. I think the chairmen would love the chat of sell Rice whilst we can
Zero faith that money will be spent well - I’m with you. Part of our problem is that our recruitment under Sullivan has been woeful and we’ve wasted so much money on poorly thought out transfers. That said, you can’t turn down £100m, you just can’t. Especially knowing the player would probably rather leave so then you keep an unhappy camper.

We also criticise our owners for not making profits on players etc, we can’t have it both ways.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am That said, you can’t turn down £100m, you just can’t.
Of course you can, Levy did with Kane.
The £60m we lose by selling him next summer could easily be superseded by Dec contributing to another season of European qualification and another top 6 finish.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:09 am Of course you can, Levy did with Kane.
The £60m we lose by selling him next summer could easily be superseded by Dec contributing to another season of European qualification and another top 6 finish.
Those dizzy heights won’t be reached with the ageing and inferior squad we have now.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Patsy Belgium wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:15 am Those dizzy heights won’t be reached with the ageing and inferior squad we have now.
So we should just give up then?
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:16 am So we should just give up then?
He’s going no matter what.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Patsy Belgium wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:19 am He’s going no matter what.
Source?
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

The only person that knows 100% what's going to happen is Declan.
If he's here in September it will be because he didn't fancy any of the clubs that come in for him.
We're going to get offers regardless so a bidding war would certainly work in our favour but once again, there is no guarantee that Dec would agree to sign for the highest bidder...
It's in his hands, not the club's.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am
We also criticise our owners for not making profits on players etc, we can’t have it both ways.
Definitely keen to sell players for profit, just not our skipper and best player. I think in this case possibly you can have it both ways. Sell ones you can improve on for profit, keep the lifeblood. Like you however, I'm pretty sure he goes. Seems like yesterday I told my workmate that we had this player coming through who could play like Beckenbauer. I'll be v sad when the day does come as it's been great watching him strutting about the pitch. Truly world class
johnnyboy123
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 267 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

El brooko79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:14 amIf we win ECL and his contract option is valid I'd hope we proceed as follows.

* Tell Rice his value is £120m, we will not accept less.
* We will not entertain offers after 10th July.
* We will exercise our 1 year option and accept we may have to sell for less next summer - say £60m.

* Offer Rice a new 5 year deal of £150k per week.
* Include a buy out clause of £60m next summer (2024) if we have no Europe. (ie match what we think next summer's value is).
* That clause raises to £80m if we have Europa league 24-25 season.
* That clause raises to £100m if we have CL football (ie we won the Europa League).
Tbh, if he signs a new contract then a buyout clause, regardless of what, if any, European football we'll have the following year should simply be a figure of say £100m (obviously if we could get him to sign at £120m great, but he needs to feel he has a move should he want one); a £60m buy out clause if he signs a new contract is an absolute gift for a player of Dec's quality with, say, 4 years on his contract.

If he doesn't move this summer, offer a contract with a big boost in wages (I know that's not his motivation, but who doesn't want more money?) but a realistic buyout of £100m; he gets more money for at least a year but can realistically leave whenever he wants to, we get a guaranteed, decent, fee for him. Simples.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

DublinDave wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:31 am The only person that knows 100% what's going to happen is Declan.
If he's here in September it will be because he didn't fancy any of the clubs that come in for him.
We're going to get offers regardless so a bidding war would certainly work in our favour but once again, there is no guarantee that Dec would agree to sign for the highest bidder...
It's in his hands, not the club's.
It’s in our hands, if we don’t like the fee we simply don’t sell. Rice is a smart lad and will know that we took a chance on him when others didn’t, and we rewarded him with a contract he was happy to sign. Without us he likely wouldn’t be in the situation he is now. He’ll respect us no matter what happens
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

What about offering a 2 year deal at mega money. It may be the 5 years that's putting him off .

Clutching at straws

Edit. Oh and any buyout clause at less than £100m would,IMO,be bonkers
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:09 am Of course you can, Levy did with Kane.
I know you really want him to stay (most of us do) but seriously, he wants to move on and do bigger things and there are teams out there that he can do that with.
In my opinion he is gearing up for his swan song.
If he picks up a European trophy at the end that will be the perfect goodbye if he doesn't then it cements his reasons for wanting to move on.
For me either way he's gone..
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Pob! wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:02 pm I know you really want him to stay (most of us do) but seriously, he wants to move on and do bigger things and there are teams out there that he can do that with.
In my opinion he is gearing up for his swan song.
If he picks up a European trophy at the end that will be the perfect goodbye if he doesn't then it cements his reasons for wanting to move on.
For me either way he's gone..
I think Dec is a top pro, with arguably the best work ethic of any player currently playing in the premier league. I have no doubt that he will give 100% for us whenever he wears the shirt.
We also the euros coming up at the end of the season and he will want to make sure that he is at the fore front of Southgates plans.

Should he stay then I suspect that next season will be one of his best seasons for the club
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:48 am It may be the 5 years that's putting him off
Yep. There does appear to be a route to short-term extensions with us if the right offers from the right clubs aren't forthcoming.

If he moves, he will need to sign away the peak of his career. I can't imagine any buying club accepting anything shorter than a five year commitment from him and one that's free of escape clauses.

So, if he makes the wrong choice he could be stuck at a team that's bobbing around between the last 16 of the CL and the quarter finals of the Europa at best and in between 3rd and 6th , also as a norm, rather than any kind of big winner.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Hammer Matty wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:14 am It’s in our hands, if we don’t like the fee we simply don’t sell. Rice is a smart lad and will know that we took a chance on him when others didn’t, and we rewarded him with a contract he was happy to sign. Without us he likely wouldn’t be in the situation he is now. He’ll respect us no matter what happens
I wish life was so simple...
It isn't.
If that's 100% guaranteed to happen, I'd happily keep him here, Dec for 2 more years then off he goes on a free. After all, it's not my money.
The club will be seeing things very differently however. As well they should, it is a business.
Finances will trump emotion every time.