The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by btajim - mcfc »

When I fell ill, I remember someone trying to gee me up with “you have these breaks abroad watching Wales” etc. My reply was “I attend alone. Nobody will go with me.” I could literally see no positive. Welsh people are friendly in general so I always get brought over to a table in a bar. It’s never not happened. I still saw the negative.

It almost seems incomprehensible.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

hammer etc wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:11 amI used to take them but they changed mine for another type that are also used for pain relief.
That'd be amitriptyline. :newthumb:
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Samba wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:44 pm That'd be amitriptyline. :newthumb:
No, Duloxetine.I have a 25% pars defect.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’m unsure what happened but I was shocking on Saturday. I ended up staying in bed until 4pm. I had no food in so I had to order a takeaway as I couldn’t face going to Asda. I’m ok now. Possibly a minor depression bout that passed.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:21 pm I’m unsure what happened but I was shocking on Saturday. I ended up staying in bed until 4pm. I had no food in so I had to order a takeaway as I couldn’t face going to Asda. I’m ok now. Possibly a minor depression bout that passed.
I have those days. I’m lying there having had fitful sleep (nighttime is when the demons can really kick in) and I just can’t face getting up. If it wasn’t for the fact my kids have got up and I know I need to go and help the Mrs with them I’d just lie there in some sort of depressed suspended state for ages.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:08 pm Right.

So I did see a Dr who prescribed me 20mg Citolapram. I'm 3 days in now and don't really like the feeling of being a tad spaced. I also have zero appetite and my mouth is insanely dry.

Does that change?
It can take up to 3 months to experience the full benefit of Citolpram so don't expect immediate miracles. Thr symptoms are usual btw and should ease of.

In terms of coming off, don't simply stop taking them, you need to reduce the dosage gradually. If you had bren on them for any period of time then coming off them csn take 12-18 months.

Citilpram are cheap and a GP's go to for anti depressants. My sister was on them for post natal depression, I have been proscribed them but never took them based upon what my sister and registered mental health clinician b-in-law (who is able to prescribe) told me. They were able to furnish me with the pros and cons and did a far better job than my GP.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

No idea whether this is helpful to anyone or not (and it's more of a quick-fix than a long-term solution). But I generally sleep with headphones in and a podcast on. Generally I use a podcast that I have listened to a hundred times before so I'm not really listening to it, but it does help me shut out the voices in my head that try and tell me what I failure I am as soon as I close my eyes.

Hang in there, everyone!
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

According to The Daily Mail, builders talking about their feelings and mental health issues is another example of wokeness.
The article itself isn't bad, it's just the clickbait headline that makes that newspaper so vile at times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... agues.html

The comments section is rather good though and the general public seem to have piled in on them.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

The Daily Mail has historic links with Hitler. It’s a middle class tabloid for morons. I wouldn’t use it to wrap fish and chips.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Bump.
Hope all ok.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Ditto. I’m happier than I’ve been in a decade. I’ve had to make significant changes to my life but falling ill was arguably a positive thing overall.

Look forwards.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Ron, I'm hardly ever on here nowadays so just seen this.

You offered help to me during the lockdowns when we were self-isolating and you were one of the first supportive voices on here during my legal battles. You're clearly a good egg, even if your bonce is telling you something different.

I don't know if I am any good at listening, but I do know the stuff you have written a month or so ago is pretty much exactly what my brother wrote before he committed suicide so I can't just scroll down thinking I hope you get yourself sorted.

If you ever want to grab a coffee on the High Street mate, just drop me a note.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I can't post on here anymore for some reason. Glad the thumbs up worked. It's like communicating from the Upside Down.

Edit: of course it ****ing works now doesn't it
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I just want to fill you in on what's been going on with me.

Turns out that from revealing to my wife that I was at rock bottom she owned up to thinking that I didn't love her anymore. She was moving on from me. I can't blame her really.

Fast forward through a tough few weeks and I've been seeing a counselor. Well, let's be honest, a shrink. They reckon I've had PTSD from suffering from a bad case of the covids.

Finding out that my wife was moving on from me has shaken me out of a horrible stupor. I love her more than anything. Well, maybe not as much as Carlton or that 6 or so months of Dimitri. But I do love her enough.

Life has taken an incredible upswing. We might be stronger than ever right now. We're both pulling in the same direction, we're wanting the same things, and somehow opportunities have arrived that have alleviated our financial worries.

To all of you on here, thank you. Cheers Graeme for creating this place. Cheers mods for doing what you do. And a big cheers for everyone else for being as massive as you are.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Good communication is important in any relationship. None of us are mind readers.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

I've been on escitalopram and the first month completely knocked me out. I don't completely blame the tablets as my head had just 'exploded' after years of stress, bothe direct and hidden.
After about 3 months I began to feel a little more normal and after 12 months I thought they were holding me back a little.
I came off them sensibly but after a while I realised it was not a good idea as I was feeling stress and anxiety again.
Cutting a very long story to just a long story, I now have Sertraline. At 4 weeks, I thought these are doing nothing, then between 6 and 9 weeks I was getting very, very dark thoughts (not suicidal but thoughts of death and all those fun things). It was at that point that I spoke to the Doctor and they suggested a change of tablets. Strangely in the next couple of days I noticed a slight change and although the doc had already prescribed me different tablets, I decided to continue for a while as I didn't really want to start the process again. 9 months later, I'm still on them, helped lift my mood but hadn't help anxiety . They doubled the dose and now I feel it is helping with anxiety.

I'd advise not chopping and changing too quickly unless they are have serious I'll/mental effects on you. Try and give them a chance. Although you may be desperate for some help, in my view tablets are not going to help in the very short term but they can help in getting on the road to recovery.

Good luck to all suffering ✊
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Mega Ron delighted for you :heart:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Love you, Ron x
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

My initial medication knocked me sideways for two months. I was sleeping all the time and unable to leave the house. A family member stayed with me and did the cooking etc. She checked on me hourly.

It got worse before it got better.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Ron - :newthumb: