The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by wolf359 »

Been off Citalopram for a week now. Even though (with doctors blessing) I slowly cut it down over several months I have felt 'odd' the last week. Tired and my sleep has returned to its usual bad state (has happened over the last month as a reduced the pills.) Also last week was the first time in a while I felt (just slightly) 'down'. It was a really busy work week (new starters) so that complicated things.

However now most of the place seems to have covid I have to wonder if I had a dose of that (no symptoms apart from being knackered and 'low''ish).

I've come off them (with blessing) by my own hand and have the option to return if I need/want to. I hope my sleep will return (been trying ZMA and going to the gym even later - usually go straight from work but started going 8-10 and then pretty much straight to bed) .

Keep going all.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Stick with it Wolfie it might be a bit tricky but you will get there in the end :muscle:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma today. And it's weird. Because I kinda don't care. I suppose it could be because it's the second cancer diagnosis I've had and I'm now numb to it, I don't know. In fact, when the doctor told me, I laughed.

Mrs DL is rightly worried about it, but I don't seem to be. She's even said she's worried about my reaction too. I'm just joking about it and laughing it off.

I've got no idea how serious it is at this stage - I called the GP last week, had a telephone appointment and sent pictures via email, then went to dermatology today. He said he wanted to get me in quickly to have it removed and never mentioned he thought it was cancer - so I asked him outright. I said to him, don't beat about the bush, don't go softly-softly - you're a skin cancer dermatologist, you've seen enough, is it cancer? He said yes, and that's when I burst out laughing.

He wanted me in next Monday to remove it, but I'm on holiday from Sunday, so having it done on 21st July instead - although they will get me in if there is a cancellation between now and the end of the week.

It might hit me later, who knows? But right now, it doesn't feel like I've had yet another cancer diagnosis.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

f***ing hell DL, sorry to hear that. seems like you have had it ****ing tough the last couple of years.

I hope the best possible out come you mate.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma today. And it's weird. Because I kinda don't care. I suppose it could be because it's the second cancer diagnosis I've had and I'm now numb to it, I don't know. In fact, when the doctor told me, I laughed.

Mrs DL is rightly worried about it, but I don't seem to be. She's even said she's worried about my reaction too. I'm just joking about it and laughing it off.

I've got no idea how serious it is at this stage - I called the GP last week, had a telephone appointment and sent pictures via email, then went to dermatology today. He said he wanted to get me in quickly to have it removed and never mentioned he thought it was cancer - so I asked him outright. I said to him, don't beat about the bush, don't go softly-softly - you're a skin cancer dermatologist, you've seen enough, is it cancer? He said yes, and that's when I burst out laughing.

He wanted me in next Monday to remove it, but I'm on holiday from Sunday, so having it done on 21st July instead - although they will get me in if there is a cancellation between now and the end of the week.

It might hit me later, who knows? But right now, it doesn't feel like I've had yet another cancer diagnosis.
Holy sh*t dude, profoundly sorry to hear your news.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Sorry to hear that DL, you just don't get a break do ya, mate.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I've replied in the physical health thread but is it not worth rebooking your holiday? You come first, DL.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

You've walked under some ladders and broken a box of mirrors at some point. Hope it is mild and they can completely remove it without issue.
OFT
Has liked: 3192 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma today.
Fuckssake DL that's rotten news.
You've really been through it mate and you of all people know the score but are you sure about putting it off that long.
Very best wishes as always .
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

It's starting to hit me now I think - mainly because I'm going to have to tell fund-raiser extraordinaire, Isaac.

Yeah, I could cancel the holiday - but without being maudlin - with this b*stard disease, I don't know if we'll get another one. Just being realistic - and Isaac has been so looking forward to this holiday - and for over 4 years of his 10 years, his life has been constantly interrupted by my cancer, treatment, surgeries and recoveries. Let the boy have this holiday.

Until it's staged and graded, I've no idea what the prognosis or full diagnosis is, or whether it's treatable yet.
OFT

Post by OFT »

You're a good Dad DL. :newthumb:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Solid point, DL. I don’t have kids, or even much of a family, so it’s all about me.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Wish you the best of look DL, hope it works out. Hope you can put it to one side and have some quality time with your boy.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:24 pmYou've walked under some ladders and broken a box of mirrors at some point.
DL was definitely Hitler or Vlad the Impaler in a previous life; just like me..
MM used to have a bad prognosis, however recently, I saw something about a radical new treatment that has actually been curing it.
Wishing you all the luck in the world that this will apply to you, DL. :newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Well, DL rather stole my thunder..
Mum lives in a care home. Regularly I've turned up at meal time & the 'carers' haven't sat her back up enough in bed to be able to eat. Despite us time & time again verbally telling them & sending emails.
I get in there Saturday night, just after 6pm to find her food tray still on her lap with a plate of food (mostly uneaten) & a bowl of soup (which she rarely likes) on the same tray with her hand resting on the edge of it & nearly in it. Worst of all though, her laid back in bed, at best at 45 degrees.
No bib on so loads of food all down her front. No glasses on & virtually asleep.
Anyway, I get that all sorted out, there & then. I should have taken a picture of what I found but stupidly, didn't think of it.
08:45 Sunday I get a call from the care home; mum had vomited & been taken to Newham University hospital. I find out she's in 'Majors' & they ask me to go in there, 'straightaway'.
There is talk that she may have aspirated (inhaled) food or vomit. I stay with her 'til late & she goes into a ward. She had a very crackly, chesty could from an obvious lung infection but they start treating her with a/b's, nebulisers & oxygen.
About 08:00 this morning (Monday) I get another phone call, this time from the hospital. 'She's not feeling well, can you come in?' That's ominous & never a good message to get. I get there about 08:50; mum is worse. What was crackly & dry sounding is now a bit squelchy sounding. They will keep treating her but she is quite unwell now & it's 50/50..
I just can't stop crying. She's 91 so she has had a good innings as they say & I've long been trying to prepare myself for this event but this could well be the week that I lose her, 10 years after my dad.
We stayed there 12 1/2 hours today & are exhausted but could get a call, anytime during the night.
I'm going to find it so difficult to let her (& so much else) go but I know that I must & also fully appreciate, how long we've been lucky to have had her in our lives. Many people are not that lucky.
I've got to try & get some sleep now & hope there isn't a call.
Just wanted to put you guys in the picture.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

So sorry, Samba.

Sending love to you, mate.

X
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Sending thoughts to you Samba.

The way some care homes treat their patients is disgraceful.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Oh Samba that's dreadful.
Very best wishes mate.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

A beautiful post, Samba. Beautiful.

Much love to you and to your mum. My mum's 83 and although she's relatively strong for her age it's impossible up at those ages not to turn your mind to that inevitable day; what you're going to do, how you're going to be, what you're going to say, how you're going to set your face as person after person offer the same well-intentioned platitudes.

Just let it out when it comes, mate. :heart:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Thinking of you Samba