The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by btajim - mcfc »

RIP to your mum, Indy.

I was in hospital three times until they decided I was actually quite ill. Constipation was one gem of a diagnosis.

Some hospitals are good and some not so good. If you get your complaint read by the right person then change can happen.

Vent on here if you need to.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

So sorry for your loss Indy.

With sympathy.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sorry for your loss Indy.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Sorry Indy. God speed to your mum. Xx
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

So sorry to hear of your loss, Indy.
RIP your dear mum.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Thank you all for your condolences and comments. It really helps me out reading them. You lot are a top bunch.

Things are getting sorted out, slowly but surely. As ever, it takes time.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Sorry for your loss Indy.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Strange to see this thread quiet for a few days. Hope everyone's keeping well.

I got a cat the other day, and having them around to natter away to when I'm on my own in the house has been lovely. I've always had cats and, because I'm an oddball, have always chatted to them about stuff I feel uncomfortable talking to people about.

Anyway, stay well everyone.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Very sorry to hear that Indy. Love and peace to you and yours.

A very dear friend of mine died a couple of years ago in similar circumstances in France:
She got a friend to drive her to hospital as she was in agony: stomach pains. She was sent back home with a prescription for paracetamol. She woke up in agony during the night and called the ambulance: they said no ambulances were available and that she should get her friend to take her there again if it was that bad.
They found her dead in her flat the next morning. Intestinal obstruction. Her funeral was delayed for weeks due to the (still) ongoing investigation.
I am still fuming at this entirely avoidable waste of a truly beautiful person's life. Bastards.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:09 am Strange to see this thread quiet for a few days. Hope everyone's keeping well.

I got a cat the other day, and having them around to natter away to when I'm on my own in the house has been lovely. I've always had cats and, because I'm an oddball, have always chatted to them about stuff I feel uncomfortable talking to people about.

Cats are great to talk to. They seem to listen attentively and then mid sentence they seem to think, “Right, I’ve had enough of listening to all of your ****, I’m off to crap in the neighbours flowers”. Up they get and waft out the door.

I love my cats, but I do think they get the better deal out of the relationship.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:09 am Strange to see this thread quiet for a few days. Hope everyone's keeping well.

Sophie was gold. She once climbed up on next door’s conservatory roof and refused to get down. Thankfully I had a decent relationship with them and they laughed it off. She literally didn’t give a f***.

I’d be home watching football or boxing and she’d get on my legs and make biscuits on them (front legs up and down) for twenty minutes. I’d keep trying to push her down to settle but she’d get straight back up again.

A YouTube vid explained bits of quirky behaviour to me. If she’d relentlessly run around the house it was because she’d have so much energy after 18 hours sleep a day and be trying to burn it off.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

:thup:
Can't beat having a puddy or two knocking about the place, one of ours, a big once stray male follows Her OFTness around like a little dog.
Fantastic company .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Last year my Mrs along with Mrs Collector joined up to take part in a Sculpture Class in Portree - she was enjoying meeting up with the group every Monday and was getting on with various projects then 2 months ago when I was given my cancer diagnosis she gave it all up , she lost all interest due to worrying about me .

Tonight was the opening night of the exhibition they were putting on showing their various projects - she was invited to go along and asked me to go with her , Mrs Collector had urgent business down south so he came along with us to view her work .

There was a drumming band outside , drinks and nibbles , the Free Press Photographer was there to photograph the occasion - Jen introduced the Collector and myself to her group and we had a look round various rooms where the exhibits were shown - I bumped into the partner of the Swordsmith I knew back in the day , she's now the Art Teacher , he has a two and a half year waiting list for those interested in his work , I met the lady who runs the college , she's an old friend of ours , our sons were mates at school , they still are , met another lady I'd not seen in years , I saw some photographs that the HNC Photography Class had taken - then when it was all over we enjoyed the ride home in the evening sunlight .

When we got home I began to think what had I enjoyed most about the evening - was it the drumming , the art work , meeting and chatting to people I hadn't seen in years , seeing The Collector again after what seems like months , the beautiful sunny evening ?
The answer was of course....all of it .

Most nights , we have our dinner then watch TV then go to bed .

Tonight I had to make the effort to go out , drive 33 miles each way , attend an Exhibition I thought I had no interest in , meeting people I thought I'd find boring as hell - turns out I enjoyed every bit of it - there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere .

I must try to get out more often . It's good for me .
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I’ve occasionally mentioned my Grandad on various threads in KUMB - a total inspiration to me, with a hugely positive outlook on life, an interest in everyone and just a general all round good chap.

He passed away peacefully earlier this evening, at the age of 103. I was incredibly fortunate to be getting ‘Happy Birthday Grandson’ cards in my mid 50s.

Whilst he’d been deteriorating for the last few weeks and it was evident he was close to the end, I don’t think anyone was fully prepared. I’ve cried the most I have ever done and am thankful that we have a supportive family around looking after each other. I feel the most for my daughter who is doing her finals at Uni - part of which is a project on her family history, in which he features.

Grandad, you are now back with Grandma - RIP. Love you. X
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

R IP.
Heartfelt condolences, Pablo.
What a legend he was! He'll have left a legacy even longer than his years. You're all going to miss him.
A life well lived.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Sorry to hear of your loss, PJ.
What a knock, though - 103.
RIP your lovely Grandad.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Sorry for your loss PJ.
103, that's a long life to celebrate.
Best wishes.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Hi all, first time posting on this thread. I post a bit on the main pages so some of you might recognise my name.

I never know where to start with this stuff but my issues are around anxiety, depression and chronic pain, with each affecting the others.

Around 5 years ago I injured my knee playing football, and was in constant pain for around a year whilst scans and physios couldn’t identify the cause. Finally found a good physio who helped me understand any initial injury had long gone, but the pain remained. Things came to a head just before lockdown as the pain spread and I had a brand new baby to look after.

Lockdown simplified my life and saved me, along with a brilliant pain therapist and some medication (duloxetine). I still get flare ups though, and in the middle of one now. Despite being experienced in this it still massively affects my mood every time, I wish I could do better with it but it’s there every second of the day and I get in such a muddle working out when to exercise and when to rest.

Hope I haven’t gone on for too long, appreciate any of you that have taken the time to read this. It’s really great to have a thread like this to share things amongst fellow Hammers.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Welcome to this thread, Paul & no, you really didn't go on too long!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:42 am I’ve occasionally mentioned my Grandad on various threads in KUMB - a total inspiration to me, with a hugely positive outlook on life, an interest in everyone and just a general all round good chap.

He passed away peacefully earlier this evening, at the age of 103. I was incredibly fortunate to be getting ‘Happy Birthday Grandson’ cards in my mid 50s.

Been out cutting grass all afternoon and just seen this -

It must have been wonderful to have a Grandad live as long as yours did and to share in what must have been a fascinating life and to be as close as you and the rest of your family were to him is lovely to hear - losing him will be hard on you all but what memories he will have left you . There will be some stories to tell I am sure .

You're a good man , Pablo - sincerest condolences to you all and hopefully your Daughter will be ok .