The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I've just dipped my toe in this thread and some of the stories are very sobering to say the least.

If I can help anybody in any way (I'm not naive enough to think I actually can to any meaningful level) please give me a shout.

My speciality is spouting general knowledge facts that nobody's interested in and talking about season 1985/86.

I have suffered from my own issues in the past.

:crest:
Last edited by WestHamLyallStyle on Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

85 /86 was heaven lyall style. just being here helps all of us.issues never totally go but can be shared managed and put in perspective as some of of the great people on here have shown me.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yes - there are a great bunch of folk on this forum - I posted on the ‘Smile’ thread the other day about my Grandad and it really did touch me to see how many reactions there were … maybe only a tap of a 👍🏼 button, but it really did give me a lift and realise the power of KUMB!!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I received the dates for my full body scan and another MRI scan on my prostate yesterday - they'll be happening on the 10th and 11th of April - I also got on the phone to my Doctor for something that'll help with the anxiety and sleepless nights and this time she agreed . I took one at around 8 pm which helped a bit then I began receiving FB messages from a few friends and family who were asking how I was getting on - after replying to them all the anxiety overrode the diazepam but at around 8.30 pm DL got in touch and his messages lifted me once more , thanks , mate . I slept much better last night though Mr Anxiety has returned once more - three things help , going out for a drive in the car with Jen , losing myself in some TV programme I've not seen before and chatting with you guys on here , so thanks for that , chaps .
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ve majorly let myself down. I was made redundant yesterday. It’s no big deal. It’s happened before and I was back in work in weeks. It’s how I acted.

I’m a court clerk and we’re about 40% agency. As one, they’ve been cutting back. Most of the permanent staff contribute little so it does ache. I spat my dummy out, snapped at a colleague and slammed the phone down on someone yesterday. Last night I went out for a drink and that became half a dozen. There’s a late, late bar so I ended up in there until gone 1am. I woke up wrecked and chucked a sickie.

I’ve not behaved like this in years. Since I was in my early 20’s. Hopefully it was just a one off and I’ll self-diagnose a stomach upset on Monday when I’m back in. Very reckless behaviour.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Seems a fairly reasonable reaction to what happened, Jim, and I'm sure others here and out in the world have acted exactly the same in the circumstances. Try not to beat yourself up about it, everybody lashes out when they get bad news and certainly, as you say yourself, this can be a one-off. You'll be fine coming out the other side, both of the hangover and, more long term, the job stuff, I'm sure.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ve checked my Facebook memories and it’s six years to the day that I left Ofsted. Like with this one, I was extended and extended before I was let go. On my last day, I took AM leave and then walked in wearing casual clothes saying I was taking PM leave fabricating agency registration. I went to the pub. They’d bought Krispy Kreme and the office manager had to encourage me to stay for one cup of tea.

I’m little more than an administrator these days but I pride myself on impeccable professionalism. I graft all day and take ownership of any problems etc. Numerous colleagues talk about their husbands and kids for hours or just stand around drinking tea. But they’re all permanent…

I’ve managed to get up for an hour. I’m going to try to get to the shop as I’ve little food in but feel like an absolute ****er.
The Old Man of Storr

In trying to find ways of distracting myself I went down the garden to continue clearing various shrubs and trees I cut down about a month ago - thick long branches of privet , quickthorn / hawthorn , ash etc - I found myself getting out of breath quickly so I took my time and managed to make a difference - we've got Scottish Water coming to empty the treatment tank sometime in mid-April and they were going to need access to it .

Then at around 1 pm I decided I'd like to drive out to Kinloch - there's a path beside the river that leads to a pool - about this time last year we went over there and saw Sand Martins swooping about then as we sat by the pool I heard what sounded like geese coming into land - I was looking up expecting to see geese flying overhead but the skies were empty - turns out it was the toads or frogs in the pool - we heard them again today - absolutely fascinating , I never knew they made a type of honking noise .

Also , another coincidence -

While we were driving to the RSPB place in Forsinard last week I says to Jen ' Isn't Shona from around these parts ? ' - ' Yes , around here somewhere , wonder what she's up to ? - we hadn't seen her in years , 10 years or more .Then , this afternoon , who comes along , her little dog by her side...Shona - I told her about the lady in the Bonar Bridge Chemist , of course Shona knew her !! Then I look up the place where she grew up , Rosehall - there's a massive Estate there where Churchill and Coco Chanel stayed - again in the middle of nowhere .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We're you knee deep in sludge ?
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Not sure if this is appropriate for the thread, bit self-indulgent, but anyway:-

Last nov/dec I had a terrible cough, weeks of it, couldnt shift it or the pain in my upper back and felt generally unwell. Having seen a fella I know collapse in town and die within 2 weeks of cancer he apparently didn't know he had I thought I'd better get checked out, not least as I've worked with some crap in my time including asbestos in the early 70's. Chest X-ray followed by chest C-T. Doc had me in, they're pretty much OK. but we'll do an M.O.T. Did some bloods which came back dodgy. White count high, red count low, low enough to set off another series of tests(there's a cut off point it seems). All the usual bodily fluids etc, Gastroscopy(had 3 of them now and they don't get any more tolerable) which not only came back OK but also showed the duodenal ulcer they had found 12 months ago had gone. repeat bloods at 4 weeks red bloods still dropping so abdominal CT scan and follow up appointment with the surgeon(The one who 20 years ago took my Dads stomach out) Again all good but am now waiting for a 'non-urgent' endoscopy. Also as part of the original 'issues' I've just had a Lung function test and repeat bloods which it seems, have come back 'normal'

The upshot of all this so far, is since christmas I've changed my diet dramatically and walk everyday for at least 40 minutes and often more. I've not felt this good for a very long time, even my long term depression issues seem under control .

Earlier today I bumped into a former customer of mine, 'you heard about(x..) ? he asked. No I said, was only thinking about him the other day, not seen him since he called at ours in the autumn on his motor bike. He's had a bad stroke he said. Came home and rang the lad up, he's in his early 50's, got a youngish family. He was 'out cold' for 4 days and in hospital for 3 months, he can talk but it was a struggle for him, he's lost the use of his right leg and arm, living downstairs in his house. :(

I feel very lucky so far.

Best wishes to all
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

My usual breakfast is brown bread toast and yoghurt. I have brown rolls filled with salad for lunch and often eat wheat pasta with stuff for dinner. I’m 100% vegetarian now and feel incredible physically. I’ve more energy and all.

Once you get used to healthy food then that’s all you’ll want to eat. Please eat meat if you wish but I’ve personally found lazy feeds and takeaways have stopped. The weight has come off too.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Jim - after what you have been through over the last year, it’s not surprising that there are occasions where you may act out of character. Being made redundant isn’t a trivial thing but it is good that you have recognised that you weren’t being yourself.

TOMoS - a great post, being productive in the great outdoors is always good for the mind.

Was chatting with my mum earlier about my Grandad - we think he is definitely depressed, going from being pretty much self-sufficient until Christmas, when he went into residential care. This crappy weather hasn’t helped as he can’t even get out. Am thinking that we’ll have to get him into a wheelchair and ‘grandad-nap’ him for a walk around the nearby park!!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Productive in the outdoors is fantastic for the mind. I would never have gotten through chemo without my regular walks locally - and it's something I've tried my best to continue since, including when recovering from surgery, but further afield.

Did Snowdonia last weekend, often drive up to The Brecon Beacons, and when in Kent, I take advantage of the many nature reserves and country parks, or head to the coast.

Obviously there's the cost of fuel to consider, but what price can you put in trying to keep your mind healthy?
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

pablo jaye wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:29 pm Jim - after what you have been through over the last year, it’s not surprising that there are occasions where you may act out of character. Being made redundant isn’t a trivial thing but it is good that you have recognised that you weren’t being yourself.
Thanks, man.

Losing a job back in 2017 due to funding set of a scale of events that led to my breakdown in 2020. These days I’m largely the best I’ve been in years and I snapped out of my foul mood a few hours ago.

Most people tend to accept a meant apology so I’ll speak to Sophie on Monday if she’s upset. She’s a tough girl from Liverpool with two young kids so I imagine she’ll be fine.

Even walking to this bar solo I was thinking “you’re making a mistake, mate” but kept drinking until 1am.
WestHamLyallStyle

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:09 am I received the dates for my full body scan and another MRI scan on my prostate yesterday - they'll be happening on the 10th and 11th of April - I also got on the phone to my Doctor for something that'll help with the anxiety and sleepless nights and this time she agreed . I took one at around 8 pm which helped a bit then I began receiving FB messages from a few friends and family who were asking how I was getting on - after replying to them all the anxiety overrode the diazepam but at around 8.30 pm DL got in touch and his messages lifted me once more , thanks , mate . I slept much better last night though Mr Anxiety has returned once more - three things help , going out for a drive in the car with Jen , losing myself in some TV programme I've not seen before and chatting with you guys on here , so thanks for that , chaps .
I used to find going for long walks helped immeausurably TOMoS. The tiredness when you get back outweighs everything else !
WestHamLyallStyle

rigoberts song wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am 85 /86 was heaven lyall style. just being here helps all of us.issues never totally go but can be shared managed and put in perspective as some of of the great people on here have shown me.
I was only 11 and even the other day I was thinking " If only we'd won it. "

The reality is we did fantasically well to finish third.
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm We're you knee deep in sludge ?

:grin: If you strayed off the decking path then you might end up knee deep in sludge -

The drive from Helmsdale to Forsinard was 24 miles of single track road alongside the beautiful River Helmsdale - there were loads of deer right by the side of the road , salmon fishermen dotted the river - saw 2 eagles who flew off when we stopped the car and lapwings flew over us and landed quite nearby , they're bigger than you think and have this amazing song - never seen one that close up before .

Forsinard Flows Nature Reserve -

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-ev ... ard-flows/
The Old Man of Storr

pablo jaye wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:29 pm Jim - after what you have been through over the last year, it’s not surprising that there are occasions where you may act out of character. Being made redundant isn’t a trivial thing but it is good that you have recognised that you weren’t being yourself.

TOMoS - a great post, being productive in the great outdoors is always good for the mind.

Was chatting with my mum earlier about my Grandad - we think he is definitely depressed, going from being pretty much self-sufficient until Christmas, when he went into residential care. This crappy weather hasn’t helped as he can’t even get out. Am thinking that we’ll have to get him into a wheelchair and ‘grandad-nap’ him for a walk around the nearby park!!
After my back surgery in 2011 I was in a wheelchair for a while - until I got my own we used to get one from the Red Cross , they were the only charity we found that'll lend you one for the day .
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:00 pm Productive in the outdoors is fantastic for the mind. I would never have gotten through chemo without my regular walks locally - and it's something I've tried my best to continue since, including when recovering from surgery, but further afield.

Did Snowdonia last weekend, often drive up to The Brecon Beacons, and when in Kent, I take advantage of the many nature reserves and country parks, or head to the coast.

Obviously there's the cost of fuel to consider, but what price can you put in trying to keep your mind healthy?
You’re bang on the money there … are you still doing your photography, some great places to take pics in Wales. Would recommend Portmerrion for something slightly different.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Over the last few weeks two ' young ' men of my acquaintance have killed themselves. The funeral of the son of my wife's friends was today.
Suicide is still the biggest killer of men of under 45 in this country. I came on here to say that if you're struggling don't be afraid to talk to someone.

Not to me, obviously.